adios (my turn)
Sep 23, 2003 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Almost everyone has one of these whiney "I'm leaving Head-Fi" because of something so-and-so said. I guess I get to be unique because I'm leaving for what I said.

I received yet another warning and "rule change notification" from Jude in my email today. Jude's been wanting me to leave for some time now but to keep this message primetime tv friendly, I can't really describe how I feel about that.

Anyway, as it is often said, it's Jude's forum and I frankly don't like a lot of you guys anyway. See the cool ones on Headwize and IRC. Email me to BS (can I say BS? Ah well, you can ban me now anyway I guess).

Sep 23, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 75
bummer. we're losing all the head-fi flavor. see you around kelly.
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I received yet another warning and "rule change notification" from Jude in my email today. Jude's been wanting me to leave for some time now but to keep this message primetime tv friendly, I can't really describe how I feel about that.

Can you please explain in detail what rules you violated? And, why it is necessary for you to leave?

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 75
Ah, that sucks. Not always the most community-oriented person, so to speak, but you called things like you saw them and had a quick wit. Hmm, I'm never on IRC or Headwize anymore, so... until we meet again, good luck to you.

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 75
well i guess i just lost my reason for even attempting to read head-fi anymore.

i think it's sad that the whole site now has a "no swearing" rule to protect the under 18 group of readers at head-fi. the sad part is that even though i believe they are the majority, they are the ones that contribute the very least to this community.

i've been spending less and less time on head-fi as it is these days. i'll be sticking around at least for the upcoming meets, but past that i'm really not sure if i belong here anymore.

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 75
Wow, bummer. I've just been re-reading a lot of your "old" reviews (actually the old stuff is just about all I read here these days), and thought what a treasure this place & its members is/was/could still be.

As with the others that have left, both publicly and privately, I can understand the frustrations. In any event, I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your many posts & reviews. I'd only suggest to reconsider, and participate in a more limited fashion perhaps, so that Jude's rules are not violated, and you do not compromise your principles.

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 75
You'll be missed here quite a lot, kelly
frown.gif
You are more blunt, or maybe the term is direct, than most members here and I enjoyed reading your honest opinions on headphones, equipment, and especially on other matters. Good luck to you!

When did this no swearing rule go into effect anyway? I never read anything about it yet...

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 75
Sorry to hear you're leaving Kelly! Your postings were always a lot of fun to read and I for one, enjoyed both your style and honesty. I also have to thank you for your reviews, without your glowing reccomendation of the Gilmore, I never would have gotten one and I would have missed out on a lot. You'll be deeply missed.
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 75
Bye kelly,

You're good people.

for a Texan...
wink.gif

ok,
erix

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 75
Do a search on Head-Fi, by post, for the following search term (leaving in the asterisks):

****** OR ******

Right now, the search function is semi-broken (we'll have that fixed soon), with only the first page in "Show results as posts" working; but it only takes the first page to get the point across.

Here are some examples of some of what I see as a growing problem here:[size=xx-small] Quote:

....The polls are about as on target as a monkey throwing **** at airplanes is....

....They should also thank god that America is so willing to cover their asses when the middle east obviously couldn't give a **** about them....

....Hes also a damn ****ty actor....

....The fact that I brought up the speaking thing is because, well, ****, it's embarassing when your president....

....just because some idiot possibly gets our country in deep **** doesn't mean it's suddenly my responsibility....

....Hey lets mix images of people getting ass ****ed and shot....

....IT'S ABOUT ****ING TIME SOMEBODY DID THIS....

....****....****....****....****....****....****in g.... [pulled from one long post, this is not the entire contents of the post]

....it's just very stupid marketing ********....

....i watched old school on saturday, good ****....

....i really think that racial profiling on the whole is a bunch of ******** that people like to complain about....

....maybe he just found out his wife was ****ing his brother....

....oh ****, tricky's chick released a solo....

....and bootleg generally means **** quality....

....hmm, guess i fuct up big time....

....which translates to piece of **** bootleg. ****ing scumbags....

....I'm just whining since I don't have cable here. ****....

....All I can say is kick-****ing-ass....

....or at least beating the **** out of my computer....

....Guys, shut the **** up and leave if you don't like the poll....

....doesn't mean ****....

[/size]Now those are just examples from three individuals.

Here's a search of all of Audio Asylum (you can change the search query as you wish), keeping in mind that Audio Asylum reaches an even bigger membership, and that has a slightly higher post activity:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search...sortOrder=DESC

In real life, I do tend to swear, and, depending on whom I'm with, sometimes a lot. But on these forums, with thousands of people of a wide range of ages, beliefs, standards, etc., I try to keep myself in check in that regard.

The swearing on this forum has, in my opinion, gotten way out of hand. If you don't agree with me, well then you don't agree with me. Had it happened once in a while, I'd have left it alone. But it got to the point where the place feels dumpier to me due to what I consider tremendous overuse of the swearing, and I feel that, at its current levels, it reflects a certain disrespect for the community as a whole. That's my opinion, and that's how I feel, and I know that some will agree with me, and some won't. Because it stopped happening just every once in a while, I decided to step in. And if some people leave over it, then that's what happens.

EDIT 2003-09-23 14:04 EST: I've been asked what the standard's going to be. I haven't come up with any verbiage for the Head-Fi Rules & Terms of Use yet, but my preliminary standard is U.S. prime time network television (no, not including HBO). If it wouldn't fly on U.S. network prime time television, it probably won't here either.

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 75
I thought this fit in from there: "[size=xx-small]9: Re: (6.61)
Posted by The Cat on 2002-10-29, 15:41:50 (212.14.55.1)
What does the Moderator have to say? Ah, that is what bothers you! Well, they all can line up the go to **** themselves. If you care…. .......[/size]

Swearing really is pointless, unless that's the only word that fits, then don't us it, that's my policy anyway, I don't swear in real life...it's just not necessary.

Sep 23, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 75
You'll be missed Kelly, I've read some of the older threads in which you participated and you do speak your mind even if your opinions will offend others, no BS. It will be that type of honesty that I will miss hearing from you. Stay cool, stay real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back