ADES Encoding. Anyone ever heard of this or anything like it?
Sep 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chewy4

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a CD that states the following:

"This compact Disc is ADES encoded.
Due to the digital encoding of ADES. This recording has improved the overall audio rendering and sonic quality of this original Master disc.

For best performance and audio quality the original pressing of this disc must be played. Any copies or imitations of this compact disc will produce and inferior audio experience."

Is this even possible? Or is this just some attempt to combat piracy?

Google is letting me down on this one, the only thing I could find is some other folks wondering what the hell it is on some other forum. It's apparently on all Digital Psionics albums, and I haven't heard of it anywhere else.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Never heard of it either.

It's just a normal audio CD to be played back on standard CD players?  i.e. not an SACD with a different track or something else like that?

Suppose that they applied some kind of ADES encoding, and that it's legitimate.  So how is it that peoples' CD players and computers can read this ADES encoding, when they're built just to read normal CD data?  It must be something just in the normal audio data itself.  So how is it that this improvement is realized only when the CD is read for playback, and not when ripping and saving the data?  That would be quite an accomplishment to achieve without imposing new playback hardware or software to interpret the secret sauce at the listener's side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back