Adding Corda StageDAC to computer-Corda Contate 2-AKG K702?
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hydeyu

New Head-Fier
Hi there all,

I've been listening to my AKG K702 for a few months, the source is WAV/FLAC files ripped by EAC and played from iTunes on a Macbook Air, via a Corda Contate 2 (as both DAC and amp if I get it correctly). For most of the time I listen to classical music, mostly symphonies and piano contertos.

I'm quite new to this area, but if I'm to invest another ~500 euros, which is just about the price of a Corda StageDAC if I order it from Hong Kong, would that make a noticeable difference to my listening experience? And I'm not talking about changes that require super sensitive ears. Or, which part of my simple system is the shortest prank? Could anyone tell, if there is such a bottleneck, is it the sound source (guess for the time being I'll not be getting one of those monstrously priced CD players), the DAC part of Contate, the amp part, or the headphone?

Again as I said I don't actually know much about this, and it's not I'm unsatisfied with what I already have. Just asking if I end up putting in another 500 euros, would adding the StageDAC be a wise choice?

Many thanks in advance!

Hyde

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi Hyde,

I have the Cantate.2 in my office and nearly the same setup except that I dont have a Mac. I am also using the internal DAC of the Cantate.2 but in a few weeks I will get an external DAC. So far I am happy with it even though I prefer the Stepdance meanwhile because it sounds more present to me. In the german equivalent to this forum I ve read that the internal DAC is maybe really the bottleneck whereas the amplification circuit is very good. At home I have the StageDac but up to now never hooked up the Cantate.2.

I propose you to stay calm if you are happy with the sound :) Further you can contact Jan Meier with this question and you will get an objective answer.

meier-audio@t-online.de

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi monoethylene,

Thanks for the advice! 

So I heard the same thing that the DAC part of Contate 2 is comparatively weaker than its other functionalities, that's why I did a bit of research and found StageDAC as a possible option. My honest guess is, though, adding it won't make much of a difference. Again, I don't know much about the tech stuff, and haven't really tried anything else than the Contate.

I'll contact Jan and see what he thinks :) Appreciate your help!

Hyde

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Hi monoethylene,

Thanks for the advice! 

So I heard the same thing that the DAC part of Contate 2 is comparatively weaker than its other functionalities, that's why I did a bit of research and found StageDAC as a possible option. My honestly guess is, though, adding it won't make much of a difference. Again, I don't know much about the tech stuff, and haven't really tried anything else than the Contate.

I'll contact Jan and see what he thinks :) Appreciate your help!

Hyde

"My honestly guess is, though, adding it won't make much of a difference." Your ears are as bad as mine :)

Objectively the Stagedac is a really good value for that price and sometimes you can get it 2. hand. But yeahhh asking Jan would be good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back