Adding a virtual pop filter?
Dec 27, 2008 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

thornygravy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I have a couple of albums that I loved (before I got into headphones) and use to listen through speakers that sounded fine.

Unfortunately using headphones with these albums are almost unbearable because the vocalist didn't use a pop filter the pops and hisses from their voice really kills my ears.

Is there any way to recess these annoyances? Using audacity or maybe some other kind of software? Thanks for any help -Ryan

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 8
The Grado SR-80 is a fairly bright headphone which doesn't help. If you used a headphone without such forward highs, maybe you'd be able to enjoy those records more. You could also try using a software EQ to tame the highs a bit.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 8
For some reason when I read your thread title, I imagined a digital plugin that would selectively mute things like Madonna, Prince, Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys.
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason when I read your thread title, I imagined a digital plugin that would selectively mute things like Madonna, Prince, Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys.
redface.gif

LOL that's my first though too
beyersmile.png
. What a useful creation that would be...

The pop and hiss problem is probably an issue with sibilance, I don't think the SR80 is that sibilant a phone. Can you give us some examples of what songs have those pop and hiss?

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 8
LOL yea I was kinda lost when creating the title.

BTW I use my grados but recently (christmas) I've been using my M-Audio Q40s and the pop and hiss is still a problem.

But basically it's just Cradle of Filth albums, one in particular is Midian. Every time he says something that ends with 's' which is a lot apparently you get this I pitched whistle. I would let this go but of course it's one of my favorite albums so.. eh.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Could be the recording, maybe you just couldn't hear it on cheaper phones? Happened to me with some 90s recordings I used to love.

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 8
the hisses can be tamed with a multiband compressor, or a de-esser (same thing basically). the pops again a multiband compressor may help, as may some eq. It will be harder to get good resullts on an already mixed track, as apposed to the isolated vocal track however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back