Added K81DJ foam pads to DT880 - WOW!
Dec 16, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kimragone

100+ Head-Fier
In an attempt to simplify my headphone fetish, I just sold all my non-portable headphones (HD650, SR225 and K501) except for the DT880. I really like the way the DT880 produces music and its sound signature is just so pleasant to listen to.
IMO, the only drawbacks this phone has is a slightly forward treble and a slightly recessed bass. Nothing big, but nevertheless on some recordings it shows up.

On my Grado SR225 I had used the little foam pads from the K81DJ to tame the highs a bit and I think it helped some. So when I packed them up for shipping to their new owner, I removed the pads and thought I would try them on the DT880.
At first I just put them in front of the existing foam, but the difference in SQ was minimal, and they wouldn't stay in place, so that wasn't going to work.

I then carefully removed first the velour earpads and then the ring that holds the drivers in place. After prying the ring off, the thin piece of foam comes off, and underneath is yet another, smaller piece of foam that covers the driver, but it seems to be glued on.
I then placed the K81DJ foam pad on top of the glued foam, reinstalled the thin foam and snapped the ring back on.

I really wasn't prepared for the difference it made. Much more pronounced than when the foam was just loosely placed in each earphone.
The treble is no longer a bit forward but much more neutral, and also the bass increased by quite a bit. Only the midrange seems unchanged, which is a good thing.

Overall it still sounds like a DT880, but the new sound signature is absolutely intoxicating. It reminds me a little of the K501 in the upper frequency, but just softer and more Beyer-like.

After this mod, I'm sure I can live with only one headphone and be perfectly happy.

Kim

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 3
It's funny a lot of mod-crazed head-fiers don't seem to understand that sometimes foam between the driver and your ear can be your friend. Hey, if you think the foam is a nice effect, try placing a thin layer of felt over the apertures around the driver, but not over the driver pad itself. It'll cut the bass-canceling backwave down and really make the bass powerful. However, it's almost sure to be too much of a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back