add another amp to my new hobby?
Dec 12, 2006 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ca911

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a Total Bithead (which I am pretty happy with) to use with my HD650s but since this website, as others have said, is somewhat of an addiction, I am looking at some of the lower priced amps to play around with. Since I just spent all this money on my Total Bithead and my HD 650s I don't really want to spend too much and I stumbled upon the GoVibe 5 amp then the Little Dot Micro and finally the Pocket Amp 2 Version 2. I was wondering which one of these will give me the best quality or if there are any other reasonably priced ones that will give my Total Bithead a run for the money.

I also am waiting to hear how the headphonia reviews come out since the lowest price one looks like it will be pretty cool..

Any other ideas/recommendations?

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 7
bump.. i know someone out there has to have an opinion!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 7
I would have written earlier, but work kept me late!

If you already have a Bithead portable, why are you looking for a second portable amp? Nothing wrong with any of the ones you mentioned, but do you need another?

If I were you, I'd be looking at a desktop amp. Lately, I've seen some of the original Musical Fidelity X-Cans going in the $120-$150 range, depending on condition, extra tubes, etc. That's a solid amp and you cannot beat the price.

As for the difference between tubes and solid state, well, it depends on the topology of the tube amp. Generally, there are three main types: push-pull, single ended (sometimes just called SE) and output transformerless (OTL). All three have different sounds and again, a lot depends on the circuit itself and the tubes used.

I know all of this seems overwhelming at first, but there is good news. I've heard a lot of tube amps, and they *all* have their merits and produce good sound. You might like a particular sound signature more than another, but it's really more like going to a good restaurant and having to choose from 3 entrees that you know you like.

So, I'd say go for a used one you find attractive and affordable. You will, most likely, enjoy it a great deal. You'll learn a lot about them, but most of all, you'll be able to figure out what you really want. Then you could sell it and get the right one. If you buy used, you generally won't lose much, if any, money reselling it.

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, what is the difference in sound between a tube amp and solid state??

i have a certain stereotype that the former is fat and emotional and lose a bit of detail while the latter can be very detailed clean but a bit harsh.

I would very much prefer a SS bcoz its much easier to maintain. But i had my dad taking care of my tube amp so it doesnt tt much anymore.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a certain stereotype that the former is fat and emotional and lose a bit of detail while the latter can be very detailed clean but a bit harsh.

I would very much prefer a SS bcoz its much easier to maintain. But i had my dad taking care of my tube amp so it doesnt tt much anymore.

tube rolling can help in some aspects.. & ther are hybrids that give the 'best' of both worlds..

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks for all the replies, i want another amp since i basically just trying to learn the different sounds/experiences with different amps.. i was thinking portable amps = cheaper so I was just looking at the portable ones.. what I am really looking for is something that is going to be a different experience than the total bithead and is moderately priced... any ideas/recommendations? Thanks! All of the options are pretty overwhelming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back