Add ALO Solo to Ipod classic / Corda move 2 or buy HM801?
Aug 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cpetrillo

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 6G classic with line out cable to a Corda Move 2 amp that I would like to upgrade. I was looking at the ALO Solo as an option but would I be better off to dump both and get a HM801 instead? I am currently using Shure 530 iems but plan to move to full size cans eventually (possibly LCD-2's) and a better amp for home use.

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Hey,

as I did the same upgrade as you mentioned above (iPod classic/Corda Move 2) just over a year ago, I might be able to give you some insight.
First I believe that IEMs do not need the amplification provided by an extra amp and the extra circuits probably add on "extra weight" on the overall tonal performance. I understand you will find people here that would argue that point, but simply speaking the only change I heard using the Corda Move 2 on top of the iPod classic was that it was a more clearer sound with more emphasized bass, BUT you have to factor in that the iPod classic is not a good DAP to begin with, hence the Corda Move 2 simply enhanced SOME of the missing feature.

So I decided to purchase the Hifiman HM-801 plus the Gamecard Amp module. Now I know a lot of people here will probably put me on a cross, but quiet simply I think my iPhone 4 has just the same if not even better sound quality. Some people call it warm sounding, for me it just has to pronounced mids and very recessed bass and treble. In fact I would be running the EQ all the time on a v-shape if that tells you something.
Don't get me wrong: It is a clean sounding player but in retrospect it is not the ONE DAP to rule them all and considering that I payed roughly 900€ for the HM-801 + Gamecard + 3 x 32GB Flashcard.

If I were you I would rather spend the money on good headphones/earphones and then start looking at "normal" DAP like Cowon J9 (which I just ordered to get a comparison) or iPod Touch. See how you like the sound and be happy with it. Is it really worth spending x amount of money more on some "audiophile" DAP with horrible UI and without gapless playback or maybe just the little increase in sound quality?

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Today's players and music are too "treble happy" for me. I though I will really like the roll-off nature of Hifiman. No, it did not happen - it was mostly pleasant, but from time to time, its sound gave me a feel of "nausea" (sorry, I am sure there are better words.)
Their return policy is good, why not try it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back