Adapter Help
Sep 3, 2019 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

haibrands

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased some UP-OCC Copper cables for my HD6XX'S with a balanced 4 pin XLR termination.

My question is, if I wanted to use this with my phone sometimes when on the go, could I buy a UP-OCC copper XLR to 3.5 mm TRRS adapter? The phone is a Samsung. Would this be pointless or damaging to either the phone or the headset since the phone jack is single ended?

It's in case I ever purchased a DAP with balanced 3.5mm output. This would save some money and time. Should I just purchase the adapter with a 3.5 mm TRS termination?

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased some UP-OCC Copper cables for my HD6XX'S with a balanced 4 pin XLR termination.

My question is, if I wanted to use this with my phone sometimes when on the go, could I buy a UP-OCC copper XLR to 3.5 mm TRRS adapter? The phone is a Samsung. Would this be pointless or damaging to either the phone or the headset since the phone jack is single ended?

It's in case I ever purchased a DAP with balanced 3.5mm output. This would save some money and time. Should I just purchase the adapter with a 3.5 mm TRS termination?
I don’t know of a phone that does balanced so yes it would be pointless and probably not damaging as balanced to single ended is fine but single ended to balanced is where the problems lye. Balanced is a different pinout than the 3.5mm TRRS of say a cable with a mic totally different.

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 5
an adapter to turn your "balanced" cable into a TRS(3pins) single ended plug for a cellphone is fine and should work great.
but in your specific situation, you don't want to use a TRRS(4 contacts) because your cellphone will probably align some of those rings with a microphone connection, meaning you might end up with no sound on one ear. at the same time, your cellphone jack is not going to be balanced so as suggested, it would be sort of pointless even if it could work. get a TRS adapter for your use.

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 5
an adapter to turn your "balanced" cable into a TRS(3pins) single ended plug for a cellphone is fine and should work great.
but in your specific situation, you don't want to use a TRRS(4 contacts) because your cellphone will probably align some of those rings with a microphone connection, meaning you might end up with no sound on one ear. at the same time, your cellphone jack is not going to be balanced so as suggested, it would be sort of pointless even if it could work. get a TRS adapter for your use.

Thanks! That's good to know. I'll get a XLR to 3.5 TRS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back