Adam ARTist 3 or Other?
Dec 2, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
Since my initial review, I have:

1. Added a dedicated 20A circuit for audio
  2. Installed a Shunyata SR-Z1 (20A) receptacle
  3. Installed a SurgeX XS10 as an AC RF/EMI filter
  4. Installed Shunyata Black Mamba-IC XLR (two pair)
  5. Installed Shunyata Venom 3 (three cords)
  6. Added an ADAM ARTist Sub (7)

The ARTist 3 now reveals a completely different sonic signature than what I had initially surmised. The addition of the ARTist Sub added expected range and body, yet its inclusion did little to control the forward mids. Notable has been the use of the Shunyata Black Mamba-IC as speaker cables.  Heavy-handed mid reverb has been absolutely tamed, bass has tightened up considerably, I am hearing layers in recordings I never heard before, particularly in the low-mid to mid-bass regions. Much closer now to what a neutral presentation should sound like.  Speakers can now go louder without distorting, amazing what cleaner power and better cabling can do. Placebo effect? Not this time around. Not with the cascade of improvements. Time for a few Real Traps to really set the course straight. Now my interest has really piqued on what a Shunyata Python IC +  KH 120 D combination would sound like...

I'm guessing that would be a killer combo. I've been using the KH 120 with a Grace m903 for the past few months and is has been amazing. Truly fantastic.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #18 of 30
The answer my friend is Beaucoup d'argent. Adamlau, How does that Shunyata XLR Black Mamba sound ? I will be receiving the A3X this Thursday to mate with my IMac. I may need an XLR cables for my TEAC UD-H01. I am thinking about the Kimber Hero XLR ( fits my budget) or use the XLR to RCA adaptors and keep my single ended Hero and Silver Streak. I'd like the Silver Streak from source to pre and the Hero from pre to amp. Congrats to your new purchase.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #19 of 30
on the Artist 5s which inputs have precedence between the RCAs, the USB, XLRs and the front mini jack?

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #22 of 30
Hi everyone,
Sorry to dig up an old post. I'm newly registered so I can't start a new thread yet.

I'm also considering the Adam Artist 3 primarily for the convenience of audio input.

I have no knowledge about speaker tech & whatnot. I mean, when I look at the speaker's specs, It's all foreign language to me, & to make it worst, English is my 2nd language, so you get the picture.

For the music, all I listen to is trance, mostly 320kb. I will source the FLAC when I can.

At the moment, I mainly play music from:
1. my HTC m9 using PowerAmp app (android phone & app), earpiece is SoundMagic E10s.
2. Lenovo Thinkpad t420s laptop.
3. AudioEngine A2 speakers.
4. I've recently purchased SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip & it will be here soon. As soon as I have the sanDisk, I will Rockbox it & it will be my main device to play music from.

I really enjoy listening to trance from No.1.

I do get friends to come over & travel with them to the music festival parties.

I'm in Vietnam & there's no Pro audio shops like in the States, so it's impossible if you tell me to test hear the speakers/monitors

PLEASE NOTE: I'd like to keep thing extremely simple as SanDisk Clip Zip (I can upgrade the mp3 players if must be) + speakers.
(Or my phone + speakers but I rather keep the phone for its intended usage)
Rating from most important to least:
1. 220v (thats the voltage here in VN. So a universal voltage speakers is a must)
2. Simple - plug & play (I'd like to avoid a bunch of cords & devices between the mp3 player & speakers).
3. Compact enough for occasional travel or bring the speakers to friends' places.

My budget is $999. I could go a bit further for the simplicity.
I could upgrade the mp3 player if I MUST. However, I'd like to NOT get into an uncomfortable situation: upgrade to FiiO X5 or similar, DAC, Amplifier, cables, ect..more research & more gears. Oh God !!!

I've read for days & still don't know if the Adam Artist 3 would be for me, the bass is not there? that worries me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #24 of 30
Im reading about the KEF x300a liking its simplicity of plug & play.
Would you recommend them?
If not, what would fit in my need pls?
Please keep in mind that im not too picky since im now listening to the AudioEngine A2.
Thanks for any advice

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #25 of 30
for trance forget it...that type of bass is practically non-existent on the 3s...

Its sad to hear that.
How about the KEF x300a? The bass is any better?

Im looking for the simplicity of plug & play, & compact enough for carrying around & travel.
I think the size of artist 3, x300a is acceptable.
Thanks for any advice.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #27 of 30
Excuse me guys.

These products are good also with low bitrate tracks like MP3 320 ? 
Or sounds unforgiving and cruel if the traks are not in high quality ?

Is it great for games and movie and all around purpose ? Or are only studio tools for mix and recording ?

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #28 of 30
  Excuse me guys.

These products are good also with low bitrate tracks like MP3 320 ? 
Or sounds unforgiving and cruel if the traks are not in high quality ?

Is it great for games and movie and all around purpose ? Or are only studio tools for mix and recording ?

I ended up getting a pair of Eve Audio SC205's & a subwoofer SVS SB1000 & can't be happier than that.
Yes, mine combo sounds great with 320kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back