AD900 vs HD 650
Sep 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 23
They sound so different but given the choice I would take the HD650 in a heartbeat because it scales so much better and its sonics are of my preference.

I think the more important thing is which tone you prefer. Refer to coredump's impression, it sums up the two headphones very well.

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #17 of 23
I used to own the AD900 but sold it recently. They are a good 'phone and can be easily driven. They can do rock, etc. and are very clean, detailed and 'airy'. I now have an MS2i which i a lot more fun and has more kick than the AD900. The AD900 were sold because the sound was too similar to the MS2i, but not as fun.

They have been replaced by Senn HD580 after listening to HD600 and HD650 (in meet conditions) which I much preferred for Classical, jazz and similar genres. The Senns have more body and when I was swapping between HD600 and AD900 at a meet the AD900 just felt too thin and a little boring when listening to some classical and jazz.

I am finding the HD580 much more clampy, which can get noticeable after a while (I need to stretch the headband more), whereas the AD900 (although pretty huge) are just really comfortable.

Overall the AD900 can handle a lot of music and sound great, but for my listening preferences were just a bit too polite. It depends what you're after, but those are my experiences with the two 'phones.

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's interesting that you said they are in a completely different class because of their similar price tag (based off amazon).

Depends where you are, I guess. I'm in Oz and was able to import the AD900 for around $280 AU. The 650 is not available here for less than $500 and more often lists at $700. More importantly, to me the 650 just sounds like a much more refined phone. Both the 900 and 700 sounded rough and unbalanced (too bright!) to my ears. However, I listen to symphonic music exclusively. Rock and rap lovers may find the sound more acceptable.

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD900 has a recessed midrange? I always read they were very forward sounding phones with a slight emphasis on upper mids. The AD700 does have a recessed midrange though.

It's a little hard to remember my exact impressions now as I was soooo unimpressed, but the overriding memory is of thinness and brightness and roughness. After the 650, this phone was like a stick-figure model next to an amply-proportioned wench. Neither it nor--particularly--the AD700 were anything like what I consider a naturally balanced phone, going by orchestral music heard in the Sydney Opera House from a reasonable distance. Of course, you may be looking more for something that sounds like a thrash metal gig from 3 feet away, in which case what sounds natural to you will be somewhat different.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's interesting that you said they are in a completely different class because of their similar price tag (based off amazon).

The HD650 has been seriously discounted past few years. Wasn't long ago the cheapest price was $499 for an HD650. It's only recently that HD650 price has dropped so much. AD900 was originally priced lower, if you look in older threads it was selling around $220, has risen a bit. Back then the AD2000 was around the same price as the HD650. But no longer, now around $600-700. Audio Technica I think has become more firm on the price of their headphones, surprised Sennheiser hasn't done so with their HD650/HD600 yet tbh.

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 23
Having heard both:

If you have a low end amp like the Compass, Corda Swing and etc the AD900 sound a fair bit more enjoyable than the HD650, much more energetic with better detail and separation.

Even if you do drive them from a high end amp it will still come down to your personal preference, the AD900 will always sound more exciting than the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back