AD900 vs HD 650
Sep 25, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 23
If you want something easy to drive as well as more forward/fun sounding the AD900 would be a better choice. The HD650 would be more laid back. I haven't heard either of them, though from what I have read, the AD900 would be faster, have better separation and soundstage, and be a bit more versatile (handling most music types well). They are better for gaming/movies from what I have read as well. Comfort would probably vary from person to person.

Overall the AD900 would probably be a better value for the money since you don't have to factor in an amp.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 23
I agree with what JayB18 said, though if you want better answers, you should tell us how you would be driving your headphones, what types of music you listen to, and if you previously owned another pair of headphones, what you liked and didn't like about them.

That way, people wouldn't be just giving you their opinions based on personal tastes, but would be able to provide suggestions that cater to your preferences.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with what JayB18 said, though if you want better answers, you should tell us how you would be driving your headphones, what types of music you listen to, and if you previously owned another pair of headphones, what you liked and didn't like about them.

That way, people wouldn't be just giving you their opinions based on personal tastes, but would be able to provide suggestions that cater to your preferences.

I was actually more curious on the community's personal opinion on overall usage as opposed to what would fit my own personal needs.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 23
I am quite interested in this as well. I have the AD700's (which I love more than I love my own sister) and was contemplating my next upgrade path. Couldn't find any direct comparisons. It seems the AD900's aren't like super common.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 23
The two are complete opposites. The HD650 is warm, thick, and laid back while the AD900 is cold, thin, and forward. With the right amp the HD650 has the potential to be a far better music headphone but the AD900 is probably going to sound better out of an iPod.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two are complete opposites. The HD650 is warm, thick, and laid back while the AD900 is cold, thin, and forward. With the right amp the HD650 has the potential to be a far better music headphone but the AD900 is probably going to sound better out of an iPod.

Totally agree. Completely different phones, and in a different class. I couldn't abide the AD900 and sold it after a week--way too bright with a recessed midrange. 650 is my current phone and I'll be keeping it till they bring the HD800 down to $350, which means I'll be keeping it forever. But given reports of brightness and sterility with the 800, I might not even want to change.

Get the 650. If you're worried about driving it, get a good cmoy. Despite what you may have read here, a good cmoy (preferably with a bright op amp like the AD823) will drive the 650 just fine.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, dude?

Seriously dude what? I'm only trying to help and I specifically said I didn't hear either of them. It is well known that the HD650 is a laid back, warm sounding phone that is difficult to drive. The AD900 is the opposite.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree. Completely different phones, and in a different class. I couldn't abide the AD900 and sold it after a week--way too bright with a recessed midrange. 650 is my current phone and I'll be keeping it till they bring the HD800 down to $350, which means I'll be keeping it forever. But given reports of brightness and sterility with the 800, I might not even want to change.

Get the 650. If you're worried about driving it, get a good cmoy. Despite what you may have read here, a good cmoy (preferably with a bright op amp like the AD823) will drive the 650 just fine.

The AD900 has a recessed midrange? I always read they were very forward sounding phones with a slight emphasis on upper mids. The AD700 does have a recessed midrange though.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP asked those who have LISTENED to BOTH.

Regardless your going to have some who have only heard one of them recommending the one they have. Thats just the way this forum is. Everyone's post should be taken with a grain of salt. The OP should go ask Marcus the headphonic forums. He and some members there have heard both and will be able to recommend based on what the OP needs/wants.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 23
I have heard both, but not from the same systems, and the 650 was during meet conditions.

Quote:

Totally agree. Completely different phones, and in a different class. I couldn't abide the AD900 and sold it after a week--way too bright with a recessed midrange.

A different class? I would say sidesteps/different style. The AD900 also has forward mids... The brightness can be reduced, as well as the bass increased by simply playing around with placement on your head (just move the pads a little more forward...). Once proper placement is achieved, the headphones sound sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD900 has a recessed midrange? I always read they were very forward sounding phones with a slight emphasis on upper mids. The AD700 does have a recessed midrange though.

Agreed. I prefer headphones with forward mids. The headphones in my sig are all such examples. The headphones in my past were discarded because of recessed mids, brightness, and/or bloated bass.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 23
Nice thread! I have been wanting to find the specific differences between these two phones. I personally seem attracted to the AD900 for now since the price is right and that it can be driven straight out of an iPod/Laptop jack.

Still, could anyone tell me how do these phones compare for Rock (say Metallica) and Vocal music (say Dido)?

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

That's interesting that you said they are in a completely different class because of their similar price tag (based off amazon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back