AD900-upgrade to AD2000 or GS1000 or MS Pro or SA5000?
Nov 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 61
Let's get it straight: the GS1000's are great, the AD2000's are weird sounding in the midrange and nothing spectacular. On the other hand, when you afford buying the GS1000's, what could be the reason to buy the MS Pro's?

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's get it straight: the GS1000's are great, the AD2000's are weird sounding in the midrange and nothing spectacular. On the other hand, when you afford buying the GS1000's, what could be the reason to buy the MS Pro's?

Ad2000 is indeed weird sounding imo. Vocal doesn't sound right in them.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 61
Kernmac;4938123 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? you're now considering GS1000, AD2000 and MS Pro, how do you know they are better than HD650 or other headphones?
QUOTE]

Read my post. No where do I say that they (the three fons listed) are better than HD650 or any other headphone for that matter. Based on what I have read and heard, the three phones listed are more likely to have the sound signature I am looking for. If you believe the HD650 may have the right sound signature (better but similar to AD900) then tell me in what ways.

I notice that you have had AD2000 and GS1000, and that you hate the AD2000. Perhaps you could give me your impressions of these two (and why you hate the AD2000 particularly) in comparrison to your (3rd pair) of HD650s.

If you think about it, the fact that you obviously like the HD650 and hate the AD2000, you actually reinforce the impression that the HD650 does not have the sound signature that I seek, unless the AD2000 is totally different to the AD900.

I already replied you about AD2000 in another thread.

GS1000 has really large soundstage, huge bass even for someone who likes bass. It's a refined can overall but doesn't lack Grado's aggressiveness. While its bright, I didn't find it cause too much ear fragile. Some may feel that its midrange is recessed, but I didn't too much problem with that, I sold it in the end because of it's build quality. It fell apart by itself for twice in 2 months, I returned it and got a new replacement pair and sold that pair right away.

HD650, the width of the soundstage may not be as wide as GS1000, the it has more depth, more layers in between. It sounds extremely refine but retain enough details for me to analyst. It may not be as natural as HD600, but to my ear, it sounds a bit less grain.

I believe you can save a bit by buying used, members here generally keep their headphones in really good shape, you can sell them here at minimal lost, try different headphone even the ones you think you may not like and then build a system around, don't forget your amp and source.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, I go to bed and wake up and I see all this AD2K hate...interesting!

Looks you slept well.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, I go to bed and wake up and I see all this AD2K hate...interesting!

Yeah. Its a love it or hate it can it seems. I think I would love it though. Ill be getting it someday though. I do want to get the AD900 as well.

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 61
Its not a love and hate thing to me actually. I actually had lots of fun hours listening to the ad2000 but their colorations just kept on bothering more and more as time went buy. It is just like all my cans really. Its as if imperfection of anything bothers me in the long run. My beloved hd600 is starting to bother me a little too because of being overly smooth hehehe

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #25 of 61
Actually have you tried the hd600s with your glite to compare them with the great expensive amps youve heard with them? That is something I am looking forward to know more about

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not a love and hate thing to me actually. I actually had lots of fun hours listening to the ad2000 but their colorations just kept on bothering more and more as time went buy. It is just like all my cans really. Its as if imperfection of anything bothers me in the long run. My beloved hd600 is starting to bother me a little too because of being overly smooth hehehe

Out of curiosity, what is coloration that makes vocal sound weird to some people on the AD2000? Are the upper mids emphasized over the rest of the midrange?

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #27 of 61
that is the common thing that people say but that is not really very accurate because some parts of the upper mids/lower treble are actually dark making it sound bland and dry in those areas ex 5khz. the boost is actually right smack in the middle around 1 to 2 khz in my opinion and sounds like the coloration is a honkiness coming from the cups IMO.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #29 of 61
Yah, it could very well be because of the fit because although the ad2000s were good, they are a little overpriced at $600 IMO. But then again 2 of us listening to the ad2ks had the same issues with them and the same love for the hd600s and our ears are different shapes. Mine is small and tucked in while my friends ears are larger and stick out of his head making the ad2ks actually hurt his ears
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #30 of 61
This thread has been good, putting the AD2000 under the spot light again. Not sure that it has helped to answer the question as to what might be the best "AD900" upgrade for me though. The MS Pro and GS1000 and others have been relatively silent. Thanks Cankin for your contribution, although the HD650 is not on my list as its source amp requirements don't match my systems output. Rednamalas1 you have just about convinced me. Have you tried the AD2000 with different pads? I have W5000 leather pads on my AD900 and have been very happy with both comfort and SQ result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back