AD900-upgrade to AD2000 or GS1000 or MS Pro or SA5000?
Nov 3, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #31 of 61
I have not unfortunately, as leather pads are quite expensive for some reason. And I had no problem with stock pads
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kermac,

Did you like the MS-2?

Hi bowraboy,

Yes I did like the MS2. A very capable fon, fun, forward and a great rock can. I decided to explore different sound signatures. Tried and liked the Proline 550 and then the AD900. The AD900 has erything the MS2 has, plus the great sound stage and instrument separation. They have lots of similarities as well as being different, but all up the sound signature of the Audio Technicas suits me more. The Alessandro can be a little fatiguing at times, which I haven't experienced with the AD900. That's why the MS Pro and GS1000 are still part of the equation for me, as reviews would suggest that they are gradoish without the fatigue and both reportably have bigger soundstages than MS2, particularly the GS1000; and both are efficient enough to be driven by my rig.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #34 of 61
I think you should go the Pro.

The MS-Pro while having a similar sound is very different from the MS-2, bigger soundstage, smoother (hasn't got that harsh treble) and nice bass with not quite as much impact.

I got rid of mine after I acquired a pair of K701s but ended up missing them to much and bought another pair. I have owned the AD900s, K701, DT860, DT440, MS1 & MS2 and still have the DT531, DT250 and Pros.

The MS-Pros are definitely my favourites and I am not getting rid of them.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should go the Pro.

The MS-Pro while having a similar sound is very different from the MS-2, bigger soundstage, smoother (hasn't got that harsh treble) and nice bass with not quite as much impact.

I got rid of mine after I acquired a pair of K701s but ended up missing them to much and bought another pair. I have owned the AD900s, K701, DT860, DT440, MS1 & MS2 and still have the DT531, DT250 and Pros.

The MS-Pros are definitely my favourites and I am not getting rid of them.

Cheers bowraboy, I appreciate your in put. The MS Pros are still on the list. The GS1000 are probably just too expensive to consider. I am also now exploring the SA5000 as they seem to have similar traits to what my holy grail might be. I notice that the three cans you have DT531, DT250 and MSPros, are all Marcus's (Headphonic) favourites. I guess you have similar sound likes.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #36 of 61
To be honest, I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread. My 2 cents after reading the OP's inquiry and the 1st 6 answers:

The AD2000 can be a beast and it has apparantly quality issues. The one I tried had a worldclass bass, but awfully coloured mids and veiled highs. However, one of our german AT believers compared this AD2K to his exemplar and the two differed quite noticeably (his AD2000 did not sound so strange). So beware, if you get a "bad" one, you might end up quite frustrated.

Next point MS Pro. Also those have quality spreads, but not as bad as the AT. The ones I listened to (3 until now) only differed in respect of treble, but not very much. So how good is the big Alessandro? Much better than the shrill MS2i, imagine a gentle MS1 in super high res. In respect of genre bandwidth, it only gets beaten by the midfi DT531. For me personally, the MS Pro might turn out to be the end of my career.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD2000 can be a beast and it has apparantly quality issues. The one I tried had a worldclass bass, but awfully coloured mids and veiled highs. However, one of our german AT believers compared this AD2K to his exemplar and the two differed quite noticeably (his AD2000 did not sound so strange). So beware, if you get a "bad" one, you might end up quite frustrated.

This doesn't sound too far off. The description of the AD2000 cover the full range from dark/bright, bassheavy/basslight, very good timber/odd timber, very good and natural midrange/very odd coloured vocals.

I have a theory that the pads could be a reason for the difference. My two pads are not perfectly identical (one is thinner than the other) and this shows that there is a problem with pad thickness quality control. To my ears, the fat pad mod changes the sound a lot, and the difference in pad thickness might very well be the reason for the different sound reported.

Without the pad mod, my AD2000 are slightly mid-bassy (but still very well controlled), slightly recessed hights and a very smooth and euphoric midrange (to my ears). The sound is also slightly (just slightly) blurred. This blur decrease the clarity a bit but makes the sound smoother.

With the pad mod, the bass is changed. It is not reduced, rather redistributed. The mid-bass is decreased and the deeper bass is increased just slightly. The sum is about the same before and after, but they sound slightly thinner after due to reduced mid-bass. With the mod, the treble is increased and is no longer veiled, this is the biggest difference with and without the mod. The cymbals are sparkly, something they were not without the mod. Due to the increased treble, the vocals get more natural and are less coloured (but they are still just slightly coloured). The blurry sound is also gone with the mod, and the clarity and air is thus increased greatly.

My ears touch the driver both with and without the mod, but with the mod the pressure is less, and this is enough to change the sound.

EDIT: The increase in treble also improves the timber. Without the mod, I find the timber to be a bit lacking compared to DT880/HD600/K501/RS1, but with the mod the timber is not lacking.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #38 of 61
My AD700s also shipped with one pad thinner/flatter/squishier than the other one. While I don't notice much of a change in sound when I perform the fatpad mod, I do notice that the addition of material to the "flat" pad prevents it from rubbing my ear raw.

I've reversed the fatpad mod on my AD700s because the material I used was making the pads too stiff and uncomfortable immediately, as opposed to the raw ear shell after hours of wear. I guess I'll find something else that's not quite so stiff to use.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #39 of 61
Also, the positioning of the driver relative to the ear also changes the sound a lot (but I guess most know this already).

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My AD700s also shipped with one pad thinner/flatter/squishier than the other one. While I don't notice much of a change in sound when I perform the fatpad mod, I do notice that the addition of material to the "flat" pad prevents it from rubbing my ear raw.

I've reversed the fatpad mod on my AD700s because the material I used was making the pads too stiff and uncomfortable immediately, as opposed to the raw ear shell after hours of wear. I guess I'll find something else that's not quite so stiff to use.

I'm using plastic/rubber tubes as suggested by the original maker of the mod.

EDIT: With the pad mod some people might find the AD2000 too bright, so using the mod is not universal. It works for some and not for others.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #40 of 61
The more I read the more I think the SA5000 comes into the equation. Anyone had both SA5000 and AD2000 or MSpro?
Do the SA5000 have respectable SQ when driven by DAP portable Amp, or do they need a decent source amp set up?

EDIT: I have read
Speed, space, sparkle - AD2000 and SA5000 Compared (excellent review)

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #41 of 61
Has anyone used SA5000 with an amp of similar capability to my Corda Move Porta Corda III with good results?

Or

Should I forget the SA5000 and just focus on AD2000 or MSPro?

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Clinical. I've read Marcus posts about this too and have then tried to hear this from the AD2000, but I really don't. It's very immersive and musical. I've read that the "AD2000 does not let you analyz the music, but instead forces you to listen" and this is very much true to my ears. I find it very hard to really describe the sound of the AD2000 to people who have not heard it. The DT880/990/HD650/600/K501 are all very similar, and if you've heard one you can at least think you know how the other sounds. The AD2000 is a bit like the Grado sound, if you haven't heard it you can't really imagine it, but with AD2000 I find it's even more so.

x2 to forces you to listen part. It is very musical and involving to me. The clinical part might be because of the amount of detail. I'm really hearing a lot of stuff I havent heard before in my music. But I found it to be very
involving and in no way analytical.

The SA5000 from what I read needs a better equipment. Unlike AD2000 which sounds wonderful from every source I tried. I did tried it with the Sony DAP I got(mine is 616 but they sound the same anyway) With a bit of EQ it sounds wonderful. Although slightly thin sounding when compared to a proper DAC.

I love the AD2000 and I'm really interested in the SA5000 too. So I think you might want to have a better look at it 1st

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone used SA5000 with an amp of similar capability to my Corda Move Porta Corda III with good results?

Or

Should I forget the SA5000 and just focus on AD2000 or MSPro?

I am using the SA5000 through an Apogee Duet and extensively listened to the AD2000 through the Duet at a recent meet in Los Angeles. Long story short, they are both fantastic and significantly better than the 701, and Senns I auditioned with this setup. The SA5000 is faster, more detailed, cooler; the AD2000 is warmer, romantic, airy. I think it comes down to the type of music you listen too. The SA5000 would be better for faster music, electronica, metal............

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SA5000 is faster, more detailed, cooler; the AD2000 is warmer, romantic, airy. I think it comes down to the type of music you listen too. The SA5000 would be better for faster music, electronica, metal............

I'd say they both are great for faster music, AD2000 though due to warmer, more natural and relaxed signature would make a better all arounder.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #45 of 61
Just a note. I got caught up in the euphoric opinions about MS-Pro and bought a pair. They are indeed great, but ever so slightly fatiguing, and incredibly uncomfortable with stock pads. I was very dissapointed with the narrow soundstage (having just sold my K701's which have spectacular soundstaging), and so I sold returned them. However, I'm considering them again owing to the positive messages about a modification which increases both comfort, soundstage, and lessens slightly fatiguing mids.
Here's the link.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back