AD700's verse the 555's for GAMING
May 21, 2008 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BHadoC

New Head-Fier
I have read that the 555's have outstanding sound stage, while I continue to hear phenomenal things about the AD700's. I will be using the headphones for Gaming, Music, and Movies, probably 80/10/10. At the moment I do not have an amp, so I will be running through a standard headphone jack with a Viewsonic LCD. Sadly, I do have a pioneer sound system, however the wimpy receiver lacks a jack. Basically, which phones, the AD700's or the 555's for mainly console gaming purposes. Decide for me PLEASE! This is killing me...

Also, I have heard that the AD700's fit better on people with large heads...which is definitely not me by any means. Should this be a factor in my decision? I don't want my kinda normal size head to screw me out of a good pair a phones.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

May 21, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 10
hmm, the fit issue is really for you to try but as for sound, The 555s are great if you want a warm, rich and creamy sound. Ive heard great things about the ad700s though and i would try them myself if i didnt already have the ad2000. So just think this way... do you like a fat and creamy sound or a fast and sparkly sound. Start from there for decision making in these cans

May 21, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 10
I have a thin head and find my AD700's very comfortable. They also have detail in the bass and an ok punch - nothing massive but definitely adequate for rock music for me. I play a fair few games and because of its awesome soundstage its great for directions. Just my 2c - I have not tried the 555's

May 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm gonna second everyone's sentiments about the AD700, but I'll also mention I haven't tried the 555's either. The AD700's sound amazing for me though. Great detail, great open sound stage, crisp, clear, very-well balanced. Comfortable for hours upon end, too. Hardly even notice they're on my head anymore.

May 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 10
I havent tried the AD700... but from my experience of HD555, i was like: "What? this is so ghetto"

Yeah, I don't really get how people say the HD555 are good for gaming, maybe it is for headphones, but compared to even 1/2 ass garbage speakers, they make u feel like ur gaming inside a washroom.

May 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 10
You can always do the rubber band trick with the AD700s although it does kind of make you look like a dweeb ^_^

I have a fairly narrow head too, and I found if anything they fell off a bit too easily, but were still very comfortable regardless.

I'm still pretty sure that for gaming, if you want positional audio then get a good soundcard as this makes the big difference if you're talking about FPS particularly. A big soundstage helps for immersion though definitely.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 10
How far behind is the hd555 compared to the AD700 soundstage wise ?

My last pair of cans were the A500 and while i have a average sized head, those cans were simply too huge and hot for prolonged use. No doubt the cans are comfy, but definitely too heavy for my liking. I play games competitively and its crucial that my equipment don't get in the way of my gaming session. With the A500, I was constantly taking it off to get some air circulation and it was impossible to wear them for more than an hour especially during summer.

That said, I'm wondering if the hd555 would be a good replacement for the A500. I wouldn't mind losing a little sound quality for the sake of a lightweight pair of cans. Or should I give the AD700 a shot and just live with its sheer size, considering its glowing reviews.

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 10
the hd555 is better sounding than the A900s i have so its sure to blow away the a500s. Unless you like more bass and less mids

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 10
I am among the people who enjoy A900 more than HD555, but if you want neutrality, HD555 is the one to buy. I auditioned A500 before, and I think HD555 is better sounding.

The difference between A500's and AD700's weight is quite negligible when I tested them, AD700 might even be slightly heavier. However, AD700 pads are velour, not pleather like the A500. It won't go as hot on your ears. I think apart from the leather pads, A500 is already quite comfy.

Jumping to HD555 is safer bet in terms of comfort though not significantly, they are very slightly lighter and the weight falls more naturally on the ears. But they creak a little when you move your head, not an issue for gaming I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back