AD700s Upgrade or Downgrade from Bose QC3?
Jan 14, 2009 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RedSox

100+ Head-Fier
Well I got QC3s for Christmas two years ago, I guess it's not really my fault. :wink:

Anyway, I've been looking for an upgrade for a while, and I think I'm finally ready to purchase. You can read about my situation here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/whats-best-me-401295/

My question is which one of these sounds the best? (remember, I already have QC3s)

Grado SR80
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Bose QC3

I want to know all of this because I don't know if buying either one of these would be an upgrade from my QC3s.

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 9
A very brave post!! You won't get many people here rating Bose above anything other than wet mud, to be frank. Where are you based? Do you have the possibility of auditioning cans before buying? If you do, that would be the recommended starting point - that way at least you can start to gain some understanding of what's out there at your budget.

As wonderful as the opinions are here, you are likely to end up with more questions than you started with - best to let you ears do the... er.. talking. Eh?!

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything is an upgrade from Bose!

x2

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 9
I personally have listened to both. My father has the Bose QC3 and I used to have the AD700s. The QC3 sound quite muddy to me and with the small soundstage it's hard to really visualize what I'm listening to.

The AD700 will improve on the QC3 with it's much larger soundstage, tighter bass and improved treble response. The only thing QC3s are good for is to take away aircraft noise so that you can go to sleep. The comfort is also far superior on the AD700s unless you have an unusually tiny head.

I would definitely get rid of the Bose. Buy the AD700s and really expand your knowledge of musical fidelity with headphones. If you find you don't like the ATs they maintain their price very well if you decide to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back