AD700 x DT880/990
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Leiker535

Head-Fier
Hi head-fier's, Im gonna make a few questions about the AD700, against DT880/990, and which beyer is better.

So actually I'm using a G930(G35 wireless version), the surround is very nice but these headphones doesnt have a large soundstage, and they are not well balanced, so I have saved a little money, around $330, to change the G930 for better gaming headphones.

I have been searching a lot, the most people here recommends AD700 for gaming, but I have also seen the people here recommend DT880 pro and the DT990, for gaming.(I dunno very much about the 990 models).

I'm thinking in buy a DT880 pro + a Fiio E9 amplifier, but I'm afraid I will pay $100 more than a AD700 and dont get a headphone that let the 700's on the ground if you know what I mean...

I will use the headphones for games and films, because for music I use my SRH 440. I dont care too much about the bass. And I will use the headphones in a X-fi titanium fatal1ty(yeah, I know there is just marketing in these sound cards, but when I bought it I doesnt know nothing about sound quality and all that stuff).

My questions is:

The beyer's soundstage are better than the AD700?

I have been seeing that the AD700 have very light bass, this is like no bass? Because people say that the guns in these headphones are like tin cans, is that true? 
blink.gif

Which version of the 990 are better for me?

Is it worth to spend U$260(with the G930 in the trade) in a DT880 pro or DT990 with a Fiio E9?

The beyer's will do a nice job with musics too? Better than mine SRH440? Because i bought them just to play guitar, cause I live in a apartment 
tongue.gif

I like to listen, Metal(Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath), Rock(AC/DC, Deep Purple, Beatles, etc.).

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 5
The AD700 has good tight bass, but very lean sounding. It will makes guns sound thinner with no body. Also the AD700's soundstage is much bigger than the beyers, but IMO the beyer soundstage is very well layered and more precise.

The DT880 and DT990 are great headphones, but the DT880 will be better for rock and metal. That is my experience with them and yes they are much better than your Shures by quite a bit. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 5
I see.

There is the AKG 702 too, people say that his soundstage is bigger than oter $200,00, what do u think about it?

I dunno if I buy the DT990 250 premium Ohm, or the DT880 premium 250 Ohm, or the AKG702 
beyersmile.png

They will be my first high-end(compared to my SHP2700 and the SRH 440, they're high end 
darthsmile.gif
), and true hi-fi headphones. I know they will be nicer than my actual gear. But I want to take the best to dont have any regrets...

I live in Brazil so, here there is just IEM headphones, so I cant test any of those 3...

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 5
The ad700's are a good beginning step into the world of quality headphones.  They are great for gaming, and I find that I still reach for them for music instead of my more expensive pairs at times.  

If it were me I'd start with the ad700's and get a taste of hi fi sound, and see if the upgrade bug gets you (it will....) then you can just sell the ad700's and start checking out more expensive pairs.  If having every advantage in FPS games is what you are after then just get the ad700's.  They may not immerse you as well as the beyers do, but they are basically like cheating in a game with decent sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back