AD700 vs. DT770 or any $150 or less headphone
Oct 26, 2011 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

febtiger

New Head-Fier
Hello again. Sorry I'm asking for so much help on deciding but now that I have ordered some HD25-IIs (read many of the great reviews here), I would also like to add another full-sized can to my collection.

This time I am looking for a headphone with:
  1. Tight, punchy bass (no boomy/muddy bass that may overextend into mids)
  2. Non-fatiguing smooth highs (I really enjoy the treble extension, detail, sparkle, and sizzle on the M50s but they can get tiring sometimes)
  3. Non-recessed mids
  4. Comfortable. Comfort is important because I plan to use these for long sessions (3hrs+) without hurting ears. 

Currently I have a strict cap budget of $150. Not a penny more, but could be many pennies less.

I am looking at these headphones after reading reviews, comparisons, etc. 
  1. ATH AD700 - Many reviews talk about the nice highs and mids, but there is little bass quantity
  2. Beyer DT770 - Some reviews say the bass can get somewhat overpowering, highs are "sparkly" and may be fatiguing
  3. Beyer DT990 - Not sure, really. Mixed opinions.
I already own a small budget selection of headphones (mostly $200 or less)
  1. HD25-II (shipping over)
  2. M50 (love the bass on these. exactly what i want. But ears hurt after 30 minutes from the small, shallow earpads)
  3. HD 280 (A little more neutral sounding than M50s, less fun but better for my music work. I like the overall balance but the clamping force is a little too much)
  4. HD 555/595 (dang they sound similar. 595 bass just doesn't distort as much for some reason. I enjoy the midrange and the wide soundstage although not too deep. Quite comfortable due to large earcups, velour soft pads)
  5. Grado SR80i (Horribly uncomfortable, small boxy soundstage. Very fun and exciting sound but over time the sound and fit makes me tired. However rock sounds excellent on these and the bass is very detailed although overpowering)
  6. HD 650 (my favorite pair ATM. Pretty much everything about it. However highs may be silghtly "muffled" for some reason, can't describe. Good detail in bass and great mids.)

I need to decide between the AD700 or DT770. However I'm inching to pull the trigger on the DT770s because they look very comfortable. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 18
If you love the bass of the M50, then you will not like the AD700.  If you can afford a used one, the D2000 carries virtually the same sonic signature as the M50 but refines on everything including comfort.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
Hello again. Sorry I'm asking for so much help on deciding but now that I have ordered some HD25-IIs (read many of the great reviews here), I would also like to add another full-sized can to my collection.
This time I am looking for a headphone with:
  1. Tight, punchy bass (no boomy/muddy bass that may overextend into mids)
  2. Non-fatiguing smooth highs (I really enjoy the treble extension, detail, sparkle, and sizzle on the M50s but they can get tiring sometimes)
  3. Non-recessed mids
  4. Comfortable. Comfort is important because I plan to use these for long sessions (3hrs+) without hurting ears. 
Currently I have a strict cap budget of $150. Not a penny more, but could be many pennies less.
I am looking at these headphones after reading reviews, comparisons, etc. 
  1. ATH AD700 - Many reviews talk about the nice highs and mids, but there is little bass quantity
  2. Beyer DT770 - Some reviews say the bass can get somewhat overpowering, highs are "sparkly" and may be fatiguing
  3. Beyer DT990 - Not sure, really. Mixed opinions.
I already own a small budget selection of headphones (mostly $200 or less)
  1. HD25-II (shipping over)
  2. M50 (love the bass on these. exactly what i want. But ears hurt after 30 minutes from the small, shallow earpads)
  3. HD 280 (A little more neutral sounding than M50s, less fun but better for my music work. I like the overall balance but the clamping force is a little too much)
  4. HD 555/595 (dang they sound similar. 595 bass just doesn't distort as much for some reason. I enjoy the midrange and the wide soundstage although not too deep. Quite comfortable due to large earcups, velour soft pads)
  5. Grado SR80i (Horribly uncomfortable, small boxy soundstage. Very fun and exciting sound but over time the sound and fit makes me tired. However rock sounds excellent on these and the bass is very detailed although overpowering)
  6. HD 650 (my favorite pair ATM. Pretty much everything about it. However highs may be silghtly "muffled" for some reason, can't describe. Good detail in bass and great mids.)
I need to decide between the AD700 or DT770. However I'm inching to pull the trigger on the DT770s because they look very comfortable. 

I own the ATH-AD700, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm.
The AD700s are great for easy, relaxing and long term listening, great for watching T.V. and you just want to hear the voices, but I stopped using them because if the lack of bass.

I own the Beyer DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, love their big quality bass,
I also have the 250-Ohm version, more balanced, they are my best sounding headphones.
But I would never recommend the any DT-770s unless you have a headphone amplifier, brings out their best.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 18
I actually find the AD700s very bright. My ears get fatigued after a few hours.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 18
So basically:

Unamped I should instead get the AD700 (although there is less bass)
and amped I should get the DT770s. 

Are the DT770s more comfortable? And what budget amp should I use with them?

Sorry, i'm not experienced with headphone amplifiers as the only one I have is borrowed from a friend. I only use it for the HD650s

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Nothing's more comfortable than the AD700s.

This...they are like nothing is on your head.

However, if you move a lot they don't really grip your head very well and will slip a lot. Great for sitting in one spot...probably not the best for walking around.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 18
Anybody have a suggestion before I jump the gun on AD700s?

Is there anything with AD700 highs but with M50 bass?

Btw on my HD555, bass is loose sloppy, and sometimes distorted on higher volumes. Also lacks some quantity. Just to put it out there. But they are very comfortable (but with just a tad high clamping force, these feel like pillows)

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 18
I know, life is hard right lol. Try the Panasonic HTF600 with velour pads, total $50. They sound like a hybrid between HD 650 and ATH M50, so I hear. I only have the Panny but know they sound amazing, for gaming too.

Quote:
Gaah

What do I pick????

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I know, life is hard right lol. Try the Panasonic HTF600 with velour pads, total $50. They sound like a hybrid between HD 650 and ATH M50, so I hear. I only have the Panny but know they sound amazing, for gaming too.

I wouldn't qualify the HTF600 as having a "punchy, tight bass" and it does have a slightly recessed mid. You can definitely find better alternatives that have greater clarity and are closer to the specifications asked in the other suggestions given. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 18
Have you tried the rubber black tape modification for the HD-555?
Getting a low cost headphone amplifier might improve your HD-555s
On eBay you can get a single tube headphone amplifier, they start at around $50, ship from China.

The Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (semi-open), with the Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads
make a good low cost headphone for around $60.

I like my ATH-AD700s, but never use them anymore because of their lack of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back