AD700 VS AD700x, or maybe a closed headphone set. For gaming + Music, 150$ budget.
Jul 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

QuickSkope

New Head-Fier
So Im going to univserity in the fall, and id love some headphones for studying and gaming. Ive heard open ear headphones are better for gaming, though I have no idea if its true. I'm thinking closed might be better for dorms, but if open is better for gaming I dont really care. I do however like my bass (Electrohouse/Dubstep)

Also, Ive heard the AD700 vs AD700x is mainly an athetics though. Are there any other advantages?

Furthermore, I can get a set of some of these: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/denon-denon-music-maniac-over-ear-wireless-headphones-ah-d600-black-silver-ah-d600/10221227.aspx?path=14c18dfe56d430f0a09f52a56a4acf19en02&SearchPageIndex=1
.His are bairly used and hed sell them for 200$ ish.

P.S I live in Canada.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 9
I would say to get the Denon AH-D600 as a good investment ($200 sounds more then fair), should provide a lot more bass then the AD700/AD700X headphones.

As the Denon AH-D600 are only 25-Ohm, a low impedance headphone amplifier would be preferred to drive them (keeps the bass sharp)
Portable audio player usually have a low impedance.
What would you plug the headphone into exactly?

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Dunno what I'd use to drive them, probably my Phone? I'm assuming that is not nearly gonna get good sound out of it. For my laptop I was thinking a Asus Xonar 3 USB sound card. Can you recommend a soundcard for gaming?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Dunno what I'd use to drive them, probably my Phone? I'm assuming that is not nearly gonna get good sound out of it. For my laptop I was thinking a Asus Xonar 3 USB sound card. Can you recommend a sound card for gaming?

There is a chance the headphone output jack on your phone is low impedance and a 25-Ohm headphone should be easy for a phone to drive.
I would think the Xonar U3 is about the lowest costing audio device you can get for your needs.
Xonar U3 is $39.99 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

A Fiio E10 USB/DAC/amp might offer better audio quality, but is 2-channel only, zero Headphone Surround Sound features.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Need to have seround, its mainly for gaming. Okay, and the U3 is a USB soundcard? Also, I have the chance to buy the new PC363 for 150$ instead of 300. Would those beat out the AD700xs?

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Need to have seround, its mainly for gaming. Okay, and the U3 is a USB soundcard? Also, I have the chance to buy the new PC363 for 150$ instead of 300. Would those beat out the AD700xs?

Would you use the PC363's built in mic?

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 9
So Im going to univserity in the fall, and id love some headphones for studying and gaming. Ive heard open ear headphones are better for gaming, though I have no idea if its true. I'm thinking closed might be better for dorms, but if open is better for gaming I dont really care. I do however like my bass (Electrohouse/Dubstep)

It would be better to go with closed, then, especially if you will have a roommate. Closed headphones will generally be better for bass. And open headphones would leak a lot and disturb a roommate that could be studying.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 9

It would be better to go with closed, then, especially if you will have a roommate. Closed headphones will generally be better for bass. And open headphones would leak a lot and disturb a roommate that could be studying.

Ya, totally. For music I have my klipsh x7is, which have been awesome. These headphones will probably mainly be for gaming. That being said, it could be very annoying for my roommates to hear that a couple hours per day. Are the PC363s a semi open or full open headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back