AD700 vs. AD700 with Amp vs. AD900 (Entry level Setup Questions)
Nov 29, 2008 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Crikey

100+ Head-Fier
I realise that that there's been alot of threads recently dealing with entry level headphones (sorry) but I thought that my question was different enough (I hope). I've been wanting a entry-level home setup since I've joined head-fi and I figured now was the time to bite before I entered uni. So on with the question:

I've decided that I would most probably enjoy the AD700s (however I'm still open to other headphone recommendations) since I mostly listen to classical and jazz with asian/jpop on the sidelines. I was also thinking on getting an amp as well, which I decided would be the O1 (also open to other entry level amp/dacs (such as zero dac and beresford) as I currently reside in China and so I can get it cheaper (around USD 170ish). Now would that setup be worth it? the chain would pretty much be:
cheap CDP ----> O1 ------> AD700.
Or would it be better if I just went with a pair of AD900s with the money I spent? However I would be using a Cowon D2 with that. Or would D2 with AD700s be good enough?

Thanks for the replies in advance
atsmile.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Great choice for those genres. The AD900 will sound better without an amp than the AD700 does with an amp. The AD900 amped will sound best. Id recommend getting the AD900.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 11
Would the ATH-AD1000s sound significantly better than the ATH-AD900s? I know the former is much more expensive. But does anyone think that it is worth the upgrade?

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by h1a8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the ATH-AD1000s sound significantly better than the ATH-AD900s? I know the former is much more expensive. But does anyone think that it is worth the upgrade?

Thanks!

From what Ive read no. They have a different sound signature than the AD700 and AD900.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Well then, would the AD900 really be worth it? I'm mostly talking about a USD100 difference between them because most probably the AD700 will cost anywhere from 120-140 USD and the AD900 would cost 220-240 USD. I know there was a thread about this before but i felt that it didn't really answer what I was looking for. Some people said yes, and some people said no.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 11
Well, if you're looking at it in a purely price/performance ratio, then no, the ad900s don't perform 75% better (the price difference approx). But hardly any upgrades will directly increase in performance as a ratio of their price. That being said, I think that the 100$ price difference between the two is at least in line with the difference you'd find in other areas of tech (or headphones for that matter). This would not be a case where upgrading is obviously worth it or obviously not - i'd say in each case your getting what you pay for. (although, like I said before, ad700s will be a better bang for buck) So really, its a question of how much you want to spend. Personally I'd go for the 900s since 100$ seems like a small price for a product (I assume) you will have for a while. The 900's have noticeably better bass. That is the major difference I noticed when hearing the 700's. (Although both really should be equalized for more bass regardless, but your going to really have to crank it on the 700s which isn't ideal) If that isn't important to you, then go with the 700s.

Hope that helps

EDIT: In regards to the 700+amp vs 900 - I'd agree with what others have said. An amp will help, but the 100$ upgrade to the 900's will help more. And besides, you can always get an amp later.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 11
This thread has helped me a lot as I am looking at the same two headphones. As far as an amp, is there a portable amp type that would work best with the AD700 and/or AD900? I am looking at a Mini 3. How does that match up? I am trying to stay at around $100 for the amp to start and then upgrade as needed and money allows.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 11
I agree with RealDealz 100%.
AD700 great bang for your buck. (very nice entry level headphone)
AD900 better headphone in every respect. Twice as good? No way. Science of diminishing returns.
Worth USD $100 extra - up to the individual, however unless you are going to stop visiting Headfi, buying AD900 up front will save you money in the longer run.

AD700 plus $100 amp < AD900

Portable amp will add some bass impact and a little more body, however get the best haedphone you can afford first (provided it is efficient enough to not NEED an amp) which AD900 are.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I've decided what I'm going to get for my entry-level phones.

AD700s.
atsmile.gif

Which they're more ugly (imo
tongue.gif
) than the AD900 with a weirder set of colours, plus the AD900 just looks so much more professional looking.
biggrin.gif
It just won't be as dear if i manage to lose it in my dorm. Plus i have a fiio e3 (which may become the e5) in my possession which should alleviate the lean bass whenever it needs bass
L3000.gif

Will post impressions either here (if this thread is still alive) or somewhere else when i eventually get em.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 11
I seriously suggest you try the AD700 first-hand if possible before finalizing your decision. IMO, the AT line has a unique sound signature that might not suit everyone. In the case of AD700, I just cannot tolerate its anemic bass and recessed mids. Other than that, it has a weird fitting with its wings-like bands. I have a big head so it works with me fine but I can imagine people with smaller heads might find it annoying.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Well I have the PX100s as well if I want something with more bass, as well as an e3. I've tried the AD400s for a bit and found them sufficient in bass, though i don't know how that translates to the AD700s. So I think I got my bases covered, besides worst case scenario would be to sell it off.
tongue.gif

And I was deliberately looking for a sound sig that was more focused on the treble and mids, with a preferebly larger soundstage that was going to fufill my classical/jazz needs. Which seemed to be what the AD700s offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back