AD700 keep dying on me.
May 9, 2010 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Evi1d33d

New Head-Fier
I bought a refurbished AD700 back in December now the left side has no sound. I took it apart and resoldered all the wires and it would work for a few hours and the left side would stop working again... I resoldered the damn thing three times in two days but it would just keep dying on me.

I cleaned up the old solder with a wick, stripped the wires and heated the wire not the solder to make sure it's not a cold solder.

I might be paranoid but it would seem to die on me when I'm using it with my xtrememusic modded with LM4562, the headphone would work fine on my xbox and PS3 (with Fiio E5) until I plug it into my PC. I only have the 25% of the volume so I don't think I 'burnt out' the connection or anything.

May 9, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Are you sure it is not the sound card? I had this EXACT same issue with my onboard audio about a year ago. Then I got the X-Fi Elite Pro and they have been working flawlessly ever since.

May 9, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Are you sure it is not the sound card? I had this EXACT same issue with my onboard audio about a year ago. Then I got the X-Fi Elite Pro and they have been working flawlessly ever since.

I tried the headphone on other sources like ipod and PS3 and it's indeed dead. Maybe the card is killing the AD700 but how?

May 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Have you ever used other phones with your modded sound card? That mod might be killing them.

May 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 9
So the left speaker finally died on me. I called the customer services and the replacement speaker only cost $3.88
eek.gif
. So the heart of the $100 headphone cost them less than $8 USD to make...

May 14, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 9
If that surprises you then you should look at some SS amps and see how much certain opamps cost in comparison to the price of the entire amp. 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 9
How come you didn't contact AT support? You headphones should still have been under warranty - it might be different now that you've tried to solder it...

May 14, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
How come you didn't contact AT support? You headphones should still have been under warranty - it might be different now that you've tried to solder it...

Because it was refurbished and the 3 month warranty expired. Besides, the shipping cost (back and forth) would exceed the cost of the speaker itself.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Sorry for bumping this quite old thread but the very same thing just happened to me. Did you ever found out what really caused it? Did you fixed the problem for good after buying a new speaker?

Damn... I'm just thinking about my old Plantronics that lasted 8 years with every possible bad condition. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back