AD700, $79+8 ship. Is this the best headphone for the money?
Mar 18, 2009 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

eclectic

100+ Head-Fier
2% back on ebates, which is negligable, but still. And there is no better deal, as of today, is there? Ordering today.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 32
KSC75 and HAR-X700 could both said to be better "deals" depending on what you view as an acceptable level of sound quality to spend money on.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 32
^ Meh. Even though the KSC75s sound great (I believe the hype, yes
tongue.gif
) they can't match a full size headphone.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Meh. Even though the KSC75s sound great (I believe the hype, yes
tongue.gif
) they can't match a full size headphone.

I tend to agree. To me they're just all sparkle. Which is great for $15. But they don't come close to something like the AD700. But the AD700 does cost 6x as much.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to agree. To me they're just all sparkle. Which is great for $15. But they don't come close to something like the AD700. But the AD700 does cost 6x as much.

ZOMG! But I'm sure AD700 isn't 6 times better than the Koss.
popcorn.gif

On a more serious note, I agree with fjrabon's third post.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZOMG! But I'm sure AD700 isn't 6 times better than the Koss.
popcorn.gif

On a more serious note, I agree with fjrabon's third post.

ha, yeah. I actually thought about somebody seriously making that reply when I wrote it. Generally, its hard enough to pick a "best value" at any single price range, but its just completely impossible to pick a "best value" regardless of price. To me, there are just really good values in each price range. The KSC75 is probably the undisputed king of the under $20 genre. Then I think the HAR-X700 is probably the king of the under $50 genre (although there is more competition). Then in the around $100 category you have a lot of contenders, where the AD700 seems to have a small lead for now.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 32
These headphones would be to balance out my 2 Beyers. I read about the HARX. I just can't imagine they are as good. Again, $90 and under...

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These headphones would be to balance out my 2 Beyers. I read about the HARX. I just can't imagine they are as good. Again, $90 and under...

I tried the HAR-x700 for a couple of days recently, about the same exact time I got my AD700. SO I can make a very very direct comparison. Basically with these two phones it mostly comes down to sound signature. The AD700 has a wider soundstage, but the HAR-X700 is respectable if not comparable. Both are laid back headphones. The HAR-X700 just seemed a slight touch rolled off from the upper mids all the way through. a very subtle EQ boost (I was listening at a recording studio, so I had no issues with low quality EQ or amping) resolved some of my dislike for the HAR-X700's sound signature, but the wooliness didn't go away entirely. The HAR-X700 had more bass impact, but the bass could be a touch uncontrolled at times. The AD700 has what might be called polite bass. It's always there, but its not impactful, you hear the AD700's bass, but you rarely feel it.

As far as comfort goes, it was purely no contest. The AD700 was many many times more comfortable. Not that I'd call the HAR-X700 painful or anything, but the AD700 is many times like not having a headphone on at all provided you are sitting still.

The HAR-X700 can more closely be compared to my Denon AH D1001's. I felt that the HAR-X700 beat the D1001's in soundstage by a pretty considerable amount. However, I like the high frequencies of the D1001's better. Bass was very similar ot me, although the D1001 might have been a bit punchier, but possibly slightly overbearing at times. HAR-X700 had better midrange, though midrange isn't a strong suit of either phone (or any closed phone that I can recall). The D1001's were a good bit more comfortable (again, not so much a knock on the HAR-X700's which are relatively comfortable, but the D1001 is one of the most comfortable headphones out there).

edit: Also, as a counterpoint for Beyers, I really think the AD700 is your best bet. The HAR-X700 wouldn't provide a whole lot of counterpoint. It would just be like a slightly inferior version (sorry REX81, who sold his DT880's, IIRC, because he liked the HAR-X700 better).

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

I tried the HAR-x700 for a couple of days recently, about the same exact time I got my AD700. SO I can make a very very direct comparison. Basically with these two phones it mostly comes down to sound signature. The AD700 has a wider soundstage, but the HAR-X700 is respectable if not comparable. Both are laid back headphones. The HAR-X700 just seemed a slight touch rolled off from the upper mids all the way through. a very subtle EQ boost (I was listening at a recording studio, so I had no issues with low quality EQ or amping) resolved some of my dislike for the HAR-X700's sound signature, but the wooliness didn't go away entirely. The HAR-X700 had more bass impact, but the bass could be a touch uncontrolled at times. The AD700 has what might be called polite bass. It's always there, but its not impactful, you hear the AD700's bass, but you rarely feel it.

As far as comfort goes, it was purely no contest. The AD700 was many many times more comfortable. Not that I'd call the HAR-X700 painful or anything, but the AD700 is many times like not having a headphone on at all provided you are sitting still.

The HAR-X700 can more closely be compared to my Denon AH D1001's. I felt that the HAR-X700 beat the D1001's in soundstage by a pretty considerable amount. However, I like the high frequencies of the D1001's better. Bass was very similar ot me, although the D1001 might have been a bit punchier, but possibly slightly overbearing at times. HAR-X700 had better midrange, though midrange isn't a strong suit of either phone (or any closed phone that I can recall). The D1001's were a good bit more comfortable (again, not so much a knock on the HAR-X700's which are relatively comfortable, but the D1001 is one of the most comfortable headphones out there).

edit: Also, as a counterpoint for Beyers, I really think the AD700 is your best bet. The HAR-X700 wouldn't provide a whole lot of counterpoint. It would just be like a slightly inferior version (sorry REX81, who sold his DT880's, IIRC, because he liked the HAR-X700 better).

I've always read that the AD700 is very forward sounding even though they have a big soundstage. So how are they laid back?

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always read that the AD700 is very forward sounding even though they have a big soundstage. So how are they laid back?

I think they're slightly more forward than Sennheisers, but are more recessed than Grados and Denons. They were much more forward than the HAR-X700 though. I guess forwardness is such a point of reference thing though, as I almost never hear a headphone described as neutral WRT forward v. laid back. I like the laid backedness of the AD700 though, I think its just right for most things. Its just enough so they are never fatiguing the way that the D1001's and Grados can be, but not so laid back that I find myself reaching for the volume knob to unhealthy levels, like I often do with the HD600's I work with occasionally.

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

I think they're slightly more forward than Sennheisers, but are more recessed than Grados and Denons. They were much more forward than the HAR-X700 though. I guess forwardness is such a point of reference thing though, as I almost never hear a headphone described as neutral WRT forward v. laid back. I like the laid backedness of the AD700 though, I think its just right for most things. Its just enough so they are never fatiguing the way that the D1001's and Grados can be, but not so laid back that I find myself reaching for the volume knob to unhealthy levels, like I often do with the HD600's I work with occasionally.

I agree with that point, forwardness and laid back are only relative terms.

Thanks for the input!

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 32
and thank you for eliminating the 1001's which had been in ? previously. and now to see if they went down another 23 1/2 cents...

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 32
I think the AD700 are a great choice for that price, if that's what you are willing to spend.

But the AD700 are not laid back, they are pretty forward sounding.

Grados/Denon are just plain colored to ridiculous levels

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and thank you for eliminating the 1001's which had been in ? previously. and now to see if they went down another 23 1/2 cents...

Eh, I wouldn't say the AD700 is better or worse than the D1001. They're totally different animals. Seriously, in this price range, you aren't going to find two more different headphones. I like them both a lot. There are times when I really want that little bit more bass impact and little bit more forwardness that the D1001's provide. Also, on most rock, the AD700's soundstage makes things sound slightly disjointed and wider than it should sound.

If you want super detailed, wide soundstage and airyness, then the AD700 is for you. If you want punchy bass, forward sound and "musicality" the D1001 is for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back