AD2000/HA01 or W5000/HA20
Jul 29, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
The Lavry DA10 is a very good DAC with a very good Amp.

Really? Huh how does it compare to say your HA5000?

Psst, might want to fix the spelling on your Team line of your sig before they eject you from the Team
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 45
I tried recommending a headroom to someone else, but was shot down by several people who said that amps like the GS-1 and the Singlepower Slam beat even the maxed out headroom max, and at a fraction of the cost. You could buy a GS-1 used for about $600, and still have $400 to spend on headphones.

I recommended the DA10 because you said that your budget for an amp and headphones is about $1K, but that you would also need to buy a DAC, and I assumed that the DAC would be outside the $1K you had for an amp and headphones.

Sorry to shoot you down, Slwiser! Not my intent!

Jul 30, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #18 of 45
Yes I have 1K budget to start with, if things turn out good I could spend more for building up my system but if they suck I wont spend 1more cent.

So I will start with a headphone + amp OR/AND dac depends on what i can buy within 1k, later on i could add the other part/cables and stuff.

What i dont want to do is buy 2,3 headphones/amp/blah but just 1 good system in the begining which can show me the window to headfi world
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still thinking of buying 1 of these: W5000/AD2000/HD650/K701/SA5000

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #19 of 45
No problem since I was attempting to get into his budget range. I know the Lavry DA10 and it is very nice and he can get it from about 900$ but that would leave him very little for a headphone. If he could swing that and get the AD2k for 500$ he would be at least set much later. The DA10 and AD2k could always be part of his component set into the future even after he decided to get five figure set of components. For his 1000 I doubt he could do much better than the Headroom special. Anything better would only be subjective at this level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce
I tried recommending a headroom to someone else, but was shot down by several people who said that amps like the GS-1 and the Singlepower Slam beat even the maxed out headroom max, and at a fraction of the cost. You could buy a GS-1 used for about $600, and still have $400 to spend on headphones.

I recommended the DA10 because you said that your budget for an amp and headphones is about $1K, but that you would also need to buy a DAC, and I assumed that the DAC would be outside the $1K you had for an amp and headphones.

Sorry to shoot you down, Slwiser! Not my intent!

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #21 of 45
I have started using my email editor on Thunderbird as my editor since this has been such a problem. I also can save it for later if needed under draft. Its spell checker helps me quite a bit as well.

Quote:

I just wrote a very long post, but my login had expired before I pushed submit. Very frustrating. Maybe I'll try again later. It took a long time to write.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #23 of 45
If your combined budget is 1K, I would consider the micro stack, then your pick of 701/650 or something around that level. If you are wanting the W5000, then you wont be able to get much of an amp to go with an expensive headphone, great one that it is. If you want that one, and save up for a nice amp later, not a bad thing.

There are several good amps 300-600 if you dont need a DAC. Woo, Headfive etc.

Around here "better" is more of a "flavor" and you need to choose a flavor before investing your hard earned dough.

Some the replies here will be more precise if you mention what kind of music you listen to, what your source will be etc.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 45
Bones13

I think this would be a step above the MicroStack at Headroom.

I had the same thought about the microstack and the K701 then I remembered the special that Headroom is having and that is how I came up with that combination. The Headroom special for 995$:

Our basic HeadRoom Desktop Amp with the Desktop DAC is all the powerhouse headphone amp most listeners will ever need. In tandem with the superb AKG K701 headphones, expect accurate clarity of tone, expressive dynamics and amazing musical detail resolution with the Starter Audiophile package. Plus you can connect up to five of your various digital and analog audio sources to the Desktop Amp all at the same time and neatly centralize your entire headphone listening world in one small, awesome little rig!

If you require an amp with a 230 volt configuration, we can easily accomodate. Simply specify "230 volt" in the comments window during checkout.

I don't know but you may be able to talk them into the portable version of this unit. They both go normally for 848$ each before the K701 is added. That results in the K701 being 995 - 848 = 147 net. I don't know what shipping would be. Or maybe for a little money add in the Home amp upgrade. Who knows unless you email them and ask what options they will make available to this special. Maybe no changes at all would be allowed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
If your combined budget is 1K, I would consider the micro stack, then your pick of 701/650 or something around that level.

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
Some the replies here will be more precise if you mention what kind of music you listen to, what your source will be etc.

Music genre I most often listen to are:
Electronica(Trance/Techno)
Rock(Alternative/Punk/Country)
HipHop(Rnb/Rap)
Vocals/Soundtracks/Instrumentals

Will be running out of these, but laptop is the one which would be mostly used, but I will be buying a DAc too

1) crappy Laptop soundcard
2) Sony CD/Dvd player
3) Ipod Mini

Quote:

I just wrote a very long post, but my login had expired before I pushed submit. Very frustrating. Maybe I'll try again later. It took a long time to write.

Sorry for that and thanks for trying, and I hope you will rewrite it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
Bones13

I think this would be a step above the MicroStack at Headroom.

I had the same thought about the microstack and the K701 then I remembered the special that Headroom is having and that is how I came up with that combination. The Headroom special for 995$:

"Starter Audiophile" That discourages me to buy the package, if i dont find something good I will do consider that, and thanks Slwiser
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunman_csz
Will be running out of these, but laptop is the one which would be mostly used.
1) crappy Laptop soundcard
2) Sony CD/Dvd player
3) Ipod Mini

Uh oh. If a laptop's built-in sound card will be your main source, I would second the recommendation for the HeadRoom special (I've never heard any HeadRoom gear) or a similar system with DAC/amp.

All of the headphones you've mentioned sound good to me. I use the W5000, AD2000, K701, HD650 and SA5000. I do prefer the W5000 and AD2000 over the others, but don't consider them to be a level above.

With any of these headphones, your laptop sound card will be inadequate. With US$1000 to spend, I would go for the HeadRoom special or some other combination such as MicroStack plus K701 or HD650.

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Uh oh. If a laptop's built-in sound card will be your main source, I would second the recommendation for the HeadRoom special (I've never heard any HeadRoom gear) or a similar system with DAC/amp.

All of the headphones you've mentioned sound good to me. I use the W5000, AD2000, K701, HD650 and SA5000. I do prefer the W5000 and AD2000 over the others, but don't consider them to be a level above.

With any of these headphones, your laptop sound card will be inadequate. With US$1000 to spend, I would go for the HeadRoom special or some other combination such as MicroStack plus K701 or HD650.

As i said before that I am not in a hurry. I will get whatever i can for 1k,and later on keep adding stuff: forexample a headphone + amp or Dac, what I dont want is to get stuck with a nasty headphone which dont suit my taste.

I Have a budget of 1k atm, probably $500 more within 3months

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #29 of 45
moving in another direction, the new shure e500 has gotten rave reviews placing it near the top of the iem stack, and there are those folks who consider iems up there for the best in definition. it lists for $500 though there have been introductory offers of $400. it's said to be not only extremely detailed but also very musical, maybe more so than the twice as expensive ultimate ears ue10. speaking of ultimate ears, they are supposed to have something akin to a universal version of the custom ue10s coming out in the next few wks called the xxx, at about $400. then you could get a total bithead or porta corda III w/ dac and still have money left over with which you could purchase a(n efficient) phone such as a grado 225, or the alessandro ms2i, or go with a sennheiser 595/600 or akg 601. that covers a lot of bases for your budget. most of these are available from the friendly helpful folks at headroom. you could call them or drop them a line and get some more info.
600smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
etysmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back