AD2000 came in today!!!
Jul 29, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 56
The mailman was really busy, today - I got my AD2000s in the mail today, too.

They're burning in as I type, but I have a few preliminary reactions:

- Outstanding, non-boomy bass really outshines the comparatively wispy bass from the K701. The drivers are closer to your ears (really, almost touching them), making for a "flat pads" effect without detracting too much from the overall detail. There's also a touch more "slap" to make pop and rock music more appealing. In fact, the whole sound is more forward and ever so slightly more detailed. Even after a half a day, the sound is beginning to resolve.

- The AD2000 does not require an amp. In fact, I had volume at my normal volume, and was almost jolted by the burst of volume. After owning the DT880 and K701, these headphones are extremely easy to drive. After a short sampling of my Xenos 3HA amp, I found the sound full, yet flexible.

- Comfort may not equal the DT880s, but the ingenious self-adjusting clamp has a very light touch on the top of your head. The earpads look like they're K701-size, though they have a light, pleathery feel instead of the more substantial velour donuts.

- If you ignore the clamps that rest lightly on your head, you'll find that the design of the AD2000 is very similar to the Senn HD650 - a classic design. It has an open design, with large ovel grates. It's understated and attractive in its basic black.

These phones are nowhere near broken in, of course, and I'll reserve detailed sampling notes until later.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
I swear I'm the only person that has fit issues with these. Maybe its the combination of big head, glasses, and unusually tight clamping force on my pair.

Noticing your signature, how would you compare sa5k to ad2000? sound wise?

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 56
Can't wait for a detailed review and comparison!
600smile.gif

Makes me smile when someone purchases a less-popular pair of headphones.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
I swear I'm the only person that has fit issues with these. Maybe its the combination of big head, glasses, and unusually tight clamping force on my pair.

Uh-oh. I also have a big head, and I wear glasses.
frown.gif

Well, it's not like I can afford these anyway.
mad.gif

I might get to try them next month. If I find myself liking the sound, I won't know what to do.

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009
How would you say these compare to the a900? I myself am looking into a set of audio technicas, I've been leaning towards closed headphones because I game and I'm close to the living room so my space is not a totally quiet area. Honestly what I wanna get is the a900ltd's but had no luck finding those around. Is the improvement woth me getting an AD2000 over the a900ltd? They don't necessarily need to be closed.

Hello! I only compared these in terms of head clamping force. Otherwise you can't really compare those. The AD2k are much more refined, open (soundwise) and far more detailled, not for gaming IMO. The A900 are great but totally different soundwise. I had the A900 and liked them a lot. They have bassss and impact and are ideal for gaming and rock music. The A900ltd are said to be a refined version and I was thinking about them too. They should be great for you. Look on ebay there is a retailer who still sells them for a decent price.

Cheers
Klaus

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #22 of 56
Hi Klaus, I'm just in headphones nirvana from my new W1000 (yes, I prefered the new one finally
evil_smiley.gif
). Congrats to your AD2000. I'm arguing now how much better they are than W1000. In what aspects?

Hmmmmm... I thought that my endstation will be W1000
blink.gif

Damn!

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herold
blink.gif

Damn!

Go straight for the W5000 and you'll have reached your end
biggrin.gif

It killed my interest in new headphones completely
wink.gif
Ill just get a AD2000 to complement it if i want the sound of an open headphone, then im finished. Seriously.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
biggrin.gif

wink.gif
Ill just get a AD2000 to complement it if i want the sound of an open headphone, then im finished. Seriously.
evil_smiley.gif

Famous last words .........

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

biggrin.gif

wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Famous lost words.....

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

My exact plan. I have just ordered the AD2000 now.

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herold
Hi Klaus, I'm just in headphones nirvana from my new W1000 (yes, I prefered the new one finally
evil_smiley.gif
). Congrats to your AD2000. I'm arguing now how much better they are than W1000. In what aspects?

blink.gif

Damn!

Hello Herold! Congrats, they are great, aren't they
biggrin.gif
The AD2000 are totally different... Soundstage is even wider, they are more pleasant, less analytical, but with a lot of detail all the same. Better? I think so, taken all aspects together. But if you like the W1000 the way they are, stick with them or go W5000 as suggsted by some
evil_smiley.gif
The AD2K are really different...

Best
Klaus

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirbeltier
...or go W5000...

Herold: Oh, Devil, here is my soul for W5000!
Devil:
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #30 of 56
Guys, please keep something in mind. Just because the W5000 looks very pretty and is almost double the cost of the AD2000 does not mean it is better. I have read what a few people have to say comparing the W5000 to the AD2000, and it seems that the AD2000 sounds every bit as good as the W5000, if not better in some areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back