AD2000 came in today!!!
Jul 29, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Guys, please keep something in mind. Just because the W5000 looks very pretty and is almost double the cost of the AD2000 does not mean it is better. I have read what a few people have to say comparing the W5000 to the AD2000, and it seems that the AD2000 sounds every bit as good as the W5000, if not better in some areas.

Actually, they're only about $200 more from pricejapan. Also, keep in mind you get the really nice case and obviously the cans themselves look amazing. Not sure about how they compare though

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herold
Herold: Oh, Devil, here is my soul for W5000!
Devil:
very_evil_smiley.gif

You don't have to exchange your soul for the W5000s, there are other ways.
Czech girls tend to be extremely appealing.
Do you have a sister?
evil_smiley.gif

Ah, nevermind, I'll keep the W5000.It doesn't get PMS and on the long run it's more fun and cheaper to maintain anyway.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Czech girls tend to be extremely appealing.
Do you have a sister?
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry,
frown.gif
. Neither brother
biggrin.gif

But seriously now: I must say that I'm really satisfied with W1000. They are amazing... After Koss 4AAT they recreated music for me.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Go straight for the W5000 and you'll have reached your end
biggrin.gif

It killed my interest in new headphones completely
wink.gif
Ill just get a AD2000 to complement it if i want the sound of an open headphone, then im finished. Seriously.
evil_smiley.gif

[size=small]Bizkid, does this mean that you have given up on the AKG K81DJ as a portable closed phone?[/size]

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #35 of 56
I hope I don't spoil your fun with the W1000, but it is not much better than an A900 (or A900LTD), where as the AD2000 and W5000 are in a totally different (higher) league.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I hope I don't spoil your fun with the W1000, but it is not much better than an A900 (or A900LTD), where as the AD2000 and W5000 are in a totally different (higher) league.

I know this. But I need time to growth to these headphones. After some time the W5000 will came to consideration. Not sooner. It's just my listening experience.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #37 of 56
The AKG K81DJ serves a different purpose, at least for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]Bizkid, does this mean that you have given up on the AKG K81DJ as a portable closed phone?[/size]

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap

Nope i still got them, but i dont have any use for portable music right now, i dont even have a portable player. I mostly use the K81 for my Nintendo DS or sometimes for my PC
wink.gif
But i'll definately keep it
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Nope i still got them, but i dont have any use for portable music right now, i dont even have a portable player. I mostly use the K81 for my Nintendo DS or sometimes for my PC
wink.gif
But i'll definately keep it
biggrin.gif

[size=small]Just seeking confirmation of what I already suspected.
biggrin.gif

Yes, the 81DJ is a portable wonder. However, as I round out my portable gear set, I have been casting eyes on prospective home phones. The ATH AD2000 seems like an intriguing phone---detail-oriented but fun---two qualities which are not often found together. Barring the sudden availability of any superlative legacy phones (e.g., the Joe Grado HP2), it may come down to AD2000 and the AKG K701.
[/size]

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #40 of 56
Hey ho! Here is the promised sq update. After about 50 hours burning in the AD2000 bring in their bass!!! And it has a lot... It goes deep without falling into obscurity. Someone posted abouthe AD2k sounding bit lean...I think they do not. Well rounded, fast, no veil as I posted before. They do everything better than the HD650 and I will keep listening. They also reveal good/bad recordings without being overly analytical. They are fun! Next will be auditioning with classical music, I have only be listening to rock and jazz until now...

Cheers
Klaus

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #41 of 56
Another update:

I performed my first mod on the AD-2000 just this morning. I'm accustomed to the kind of velours you find in the K701 or DT880. The AD2000, sadly, has pleather earpads instead.

But there's a solution. As with most flexible pleather earpieces, there's a flexible interstitial area in the area just behind the pads. If you have a long strip of fabric, you can fold it in underneath and around the outer edges.

The mod has tonal effects. Because the drivers are slightly farther from your ears, there's somewhat more of a sense of soundspace; this is a real boon. Depending on how much fabric you put in, your bass will sound different - so you may have to fix your EQ. For the first time, female vocals sometimes have a sweetness that the "flat" pads don't allow, and the pads are obviously softer. Perhaps the only drawback so far is that the pads are somewhat warmer (they were always warm), which means that we might have to investigate new materials, like foam.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #42 of 56
If there's someone who can read this review then please could you translate it shortly. I'm specially interested in how AD2000 compares to SA5000 as they seem to have them for comparison.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
Another update:

I performed the first mod on the AD-2000 just this morning. I'm accustomed to the kind of velours you find in the K701 or DT880. The AD2000, sadly, has pleather earpads instead.

But there's a solution. As with most flexible pleather earpieces, there's a flexible interstitial area in the area just behind the pads. If you have a long strip of fabric, you can fold it in underneath and around the outer edges.

The mod has tonal effects. Because the drivers are slightly farther from your ears, there's somewhat more of a sense of soundspace; this is a real boon. Depending on how much fabric you put in, you can get increased bass - so you may have to fix your EQ. For the first time, female vocals sometimes have a sweetness that the "flat" pads don't allow, and the pads are obviously softer. Perhaps the only drawback so far is that the pads are somewhat warmer (they were always warm), which means that we might have to investigate new materials.

...did this mod with my W1000 and it worked well! Will try it on the AD2000 also
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

The AD2000, sadly, has pleather earpads instead.

??? The AD2000 earpads are a velour-type material that is smoother than the velour pads on the pre-'05 DT880, DT990-'05, K701 or HD650.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Another update:

I performed the first mod on the AD-2000 just this morning. I'm accustomed to the kind of velours you find in the K701 or DT880. The AD2000, sadly, has pleather earpads instead.

The mod has tonal effects. Because the drivers are slightly farther from your ears, there's somewhat more of a sense of soundspace; this is a real boon. Depending on how much fabric you put in, your bass will sound different - so you may have to fix your EQ. For the first time, female vocals sometimes have a sweetness that the "flat" pads don't allow, and the pads are obviously softer. Perhaps the only drawback so far is that the pads are somewhat warmer (they were always warm), which means that we might have to investigate new materials, like foam.

I did this "mod" a few weeks ago. I merely did it to improve the comfort though. Its only a temporary solution I hope. I ordered some W5000 pads for them, should be here next week hopefully.

As far as the bass goes, its not that they sound "lean". They're actually really punchy and dynamic for most stuff. In comparison with the SA5000, I would say the SA5000's sound "leaner". But, there is a frequency drop off in the lower bass regions. In an overall sense they are slighltly "lean" in the bass because of this. Most headphones have this so its not really surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back