AD-700 volume limit
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

avian304

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Posts
16
Likes
0
I just bought a pair or AD700's. I was wondering something, how loud can these go without it damaging itself? I'm awfully worried that I might turn it too loud and destroy the headphones or something.

Or am I just being silly?
 
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 8

logwed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Posts
4,068
Likes
81
Keeping them at very high (painful) volumes for extended periods of time can melt the voice coils. However, momentary incidences should be fine.
 
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 8

avian304

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Posts
16
Likes
0
So accidental "noise explosions" In which I quickly reduce the volume should be fine right? Like, I wont tear anything?

(There was one time on an old pair of headphones, philips OE, about 6 years old, I accidentally plugged them into my mp3 player while it was on high without realizing. The left side stopped working after that =( )
 
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 8

logwed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Posts
4,068
Likes
81
Your AD700s can definitely handle more than you can.
 
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 8

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by avian304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So accidental "noise explosions" In which I quickly reduce the volume should be fine right? Like, I wont tear anything?


Right. The appropriate response is, "Oh xxxx", turn it down, check if they still sound OK, and then go on as if nothing happened.

I suggest you are far better advised to concern yourself with protecting your hearing than protecting your headphones.
 
Sep 8, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 8

Superfrag

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Posts
520
Likes
17
but for a person with around 60 % deafness in the ears, will it be fine?
I used my ad700 ( now ad900 ) out of the compass, with a high gain setting at around 10 o' clock. when my friends come over, they listen to it around 8 o' clock. My ad700's went fine though for around 8 months..
 
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 8

cyberidd

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Posts
1,127
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keeping them at very high (painful) volumes for extended periods of time can melt the voice coils. However, momentary incidences should be fine.


This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avian304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So accidental "noise explosions" In which I quickly reduce the volume should be fine right? Like, I wont tear anything?


This can be a problem for headphones, especially if it was hooked up to the Compass or other amp at high volumes when it happens, but it shouldn't be a problem straight out of a DAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avian304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was one time on an old pair of headphones, philips OE, about 6 years old, I accidentally plugged them into my mp3 player while it was on high without realizing. The left side stopped working after that =(


 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top