AD-700 volume limit
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

avian304

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair or AD700's. I was wondering something, how loud can these go without it damaging itself? I'm awfully worried that I might turn it too loud and destroy the headphones or something.

Or am I just being silly?

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Keeping them at very high (painful) volumes for extended periods of time can melt the voice coils. However, momentary incidences should be fine.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 8
So accidental "noise explosions" In which I quickly reduce the volume should be fine right? Like, I wont tear anything?

(There was one time on an old pair of headphones, philips OE, about 6 years old, I accidentally plugged them into my mp3 player while it was on high without realizing. The left side stopped working after that =( )

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Your AD700s can definitely handle more than you can.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by avian304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So accidental "noise explosions" In which I quickly reduce the volume should be fine right? Like, I wont tear anything?

Right. The appropriate response is, "Oh xxxx", turn it down, check if they still sound OK, and then go on as if nothing happened.

I suggest you are far better advised to concern yourself with protecting your hearing than protecting your headphones.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 8
but for a person with around 60 % deafness in the ears, will it be fine?
I used my ad700 ( now ad900 ) out of the compass, with a high gain setting at around 10 o' clock. when my friends come over, they listen to it around 8 o' clock. My ad700's went fine though for around 8 months..

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keeping them at very high (painful) volumes for extended periods of time can melt the voice coils. However, momentary incidences should be fine.

This.

Quote:

This can be a problem for headphones, especially if it was hooked up to the Compass or other amp at high volumes when it happens, but it shouldn't be a problem straight out of a DAP.

Quote:

There was one time on an old pair of headphones, philips OE, about 6 years old, I accidentally plugged them into my mp3 player while it was on high without realizing. The left side stopped working after that =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back