Actual owners of Grado Gs1000 verus Rs1
Apr 27, 2009 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

berzzzz

Head-Fier
Would like to hear observations of folks that ACTUALLY OWNED both of these phone.

What you like or disliked about both and would you recommend one over the other and why.

Unless you have listened to both these phones extensively, please do not respond

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by berzzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would like to hear observations of folks that ACTUALLY OWNED both of these phone.

What you like or disliked about both and would you recommend one over the other and why.

Unless you have listened to both these phones extensively, please do not respond

I owned both of them. I compared them pretty extensively for a year and kept the GS-1000s. The RS-1 has a great timbre and was fun to listen to with rock, but I found the GS-1000 had so much more going on. The bass rumbles and you can feel it unlike the RS-1. I like the GS-1000 highs better. I like the RS-1 midrange just a hair better.

They are both musical, but the GS-1000 does well with large scale works like symphonies. They are both on about the same level.

May 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 13
Get RS1

Quote:

Originally Posted by perca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. Could someone with experience of both gs1000/rs1 please give me some advice?
I'm looking to get rs1+ra1 or perhaps the gs1000. My source most of the time will be an iPod classic 120GB. I currently own sr125, and I'm quite happy with it but would like to get something better.
- Will the gs1000 work well with just the iPod or would I need an amp (making the total pricetag quite hefty)
- Would rs1+ra1 be a better choice?
- Should I go for the "i-version" of rs1/gs1000? That is, is really i=improved?

I listen to mostly to rock, jazz, blues.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

May 11, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 13
Definitely the RS-1.

EDIT: I wish perca started a new thread instead of hijacking this thread, because now the first thing the majority of people are going to do is respond to the OP, instead of perca's own set of questions.

May 11, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely the RS-1.

EDIT: I wish perca started a new thread instead of hijacking this thread, because now the first thing the majority of people are going to do is respond to the OP, instead of perca's own set of questions.

Whoops - sorry about that. Didn't mean to hijack the tread... And thanks for the advice. BR, perca

May 11, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 13
Start another thread pls, its better than keeping this going, imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask why not? Would the rs1 be just fine without it, or is it another amp that would work better with rs1?

May 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 13
I currently own both the RS-1 and GS-1000, both are excellent phones and I can't say I dislike anything about either of them. IMO the GS-1000 have a tad more detail, bass and a larger sound stage. However they need a lot of power to get there. I use a Woo Audio 2 which replaced a Woo 3+. The RS-1 was great with the 3+ but it took the 2 to make the GS-1000 really shine, the 3+ just couldn't hack it.

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be glad to have you audition mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back