ACS Evoke Studio Universal impressions, with a Phonak Audio PFE 112 baseline
Jul 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jiamenguk

Head-Fier
So recently the jack strain-relief on my Phonaks started to fall apart, absolutely heart breaking after 5 long years, but what was exacerbating was the fact that the Phonaks have been out of production in a while, and not only so there didn't seem to be any easy way to get my hands on a new set of grey filters in England. And thus I had the reluctant job of find a similarly priced (£100-£150) replacement. Having read some good reviews of the ACS T15's, I made the illogical choice of going for the new Evoke Studio's (mainly because I wanted over-ear cabling, so the change would not be too hard on me, though seriously the T15's are on sale at £120 right now on the ACS website, it's probably a bargain). As of writing this, and my purchase, I'd only found one (albeit positive) review of the Evoke universals, so I thought I'd write down a few impressions for others to reference upon. This is also the universal version, since I don't have the money to shell out on custom molds, though I very much wish I did.

Sidenote: ACS also thought it'd be hilarious to name their entire IEM range with words that begin and end with E, two of them begin with the letters "Evo". I'm pretty sure I'd spent a few hours being really confused by why the Evokes were sometimes £150, sometimes £300, sometimes single-driver and sometimes triple-driver, and then I concentrated a bit more and realised one of them was called Evolve. Not only so, each one of them has a custom mold version, while each of the molded version also has a Live! version. Thankfully, I didn't really have the money needed to be concerned with any of the other IEMs.

Nonetheless, given a lack of access to a wealth of earphones (see: no money, feel free to donate though, however why you'd do that, I'm not sure), I thought it'd only be fair to take up the scientific method and compare the ACS Evokes with the only, though similarly priced, baseline I have, i.e. the Phonaks, and hopefully others can more adequately deduce the features of the Evokes by reading reviews of the Phonaks and then reading this.

In terms of set up, it's a straight forward PC (Foobar2000) -> Fiio E7 -> IEMs. I'd also been using the Sony A15 connect directly with the headphones going and coming back from work.

Here a graphical equaliser was used for the Phonak PFEs, with the grey filters, boosting the low bass frequencies by 3dB up to around 60Hz, it gives the Phonaks a bit of a low end kick without muddying up the rest of the frequencies. At other times, whenever an un-intrusive bass boost could be used, they are for the Phonaks. Is it unfair? I'd say no, since one would obviously want their equipment to sound as optimal as possible, as well as the fact bass boosts as well as equalisers are fairly commonplace, and also given that the only way I'd listened to the Phonaks is with the bass boosted, it doesn't make any sense to compare a replacement if I'm not doing what I usually do. Besides, (spoilers) the Evokes still have better bass.

As far as music choices are concerned, I'd been listening to a lot of latter days Porcupine Tree, Tool, She & Him, Brad Mehldau, Moderat, etc. etc. etc. and the first song of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwRm0GLCuLY (it's brilliant). FLACs were used whenever possible and MP3s are 320kbps

Tidbits of Information:
The ACS Evokes are single-driver, BA eaphones that go over the ear with some fancy, thin cables that claim to be incredibly strong, which is presumably justification for charging £40 for replacements of them. I got them with the clear case, as I couldn't be asked to choose a colour, especially when most of them had prefixes of "Flourescent". They come with six sets of foam tips, all of which are colour coded on the innards, allowing you to discriminate between the sizes. It also comes with a nice hardcase, though it's slightly too big for the Evokes, and presumably it's the standard issue ACS cases for even their custom IEMs. Still, big case is better than no case. The hard case packaging is also nice enough that you won't want to throw it away immediately.

Bass:
While the Phonaks were always light on the bass, for many years I'd been using bass boosts or equalisers to compensate for the lack of volume in the bass, as they were not lacking in extension or quality. The Phonaks had always had a tight, impactful bass, in a clinical style that is reflected in other aspects of the earphones, too. The ACS Evokes, however, blow the Phonaks out of the water in that department. So understandably the volume of the bass is there, but they also add a layer of detail you just don't quite get with the Phonaks. The bass in the Evokes are impactful but controlled, while the increased volume doesn't muddle up the speed. However, this does mean a warmer sound, which is fine, except that after 5 years of Phonak lightness, all this feels perceptually more muddy, though any direct comparison shows that instruments are just as well separated, they just all sound richer.

Mids/Treble:
I'd never figured out where treble began and the mids stopped, I mean, you can point me to a frequency, but I genuinely cannot think of what something like 6KHz sounds like on the top of my head. So anyways, the Phonak PFEs, as have been mentioned, are pretty bright sounding IEMs, the sound, in general. Nonetheless, the Evokes make voices shine, just listen to ALA NI's take-away show (yes it's YouTube, but it's also music, don't be a snob), vocals are a notch more powerful on the Evokes than the Phonaks. As with the bass, there feels to be more detail and richness in instruments, though the Evokes are more laid back, especially when it comes to brass instruments, any harsh edges of the Phonaks have been taken off. The soundstage also feels less in your face compared to the PFEs, which is one way of saying a wider soundstage, but is also another way of saying it's less involving.

Sound, Generally:
Overall maybe comparing the Evokes with the PFEs is like comparing apples and oranges, though I'd have no way of knowing, since these are the only two reference points I have. One is light and harsh, while the other takes a step back but delivers more detail. Nonetheless, the Evokes sound absolutely fantastic for pop (which is basically bass and vocals nowadays) and anything that puts strong vocals front and centre. The drawbacks of the Evokes compared to the PFEs, such as the slightly less involvement and loss of the edges on some instruments from the Phonaks that I've grown to like, are overcome by the rich, more powerful vocals, as well as the details that are added to the bass as well as the weight that is being added to other parts of the spectra. So in the end, it's not a straight-forward replacement of the PFEs, but the pros outweighs the cons and I've got plenty to like when the PFEs finally bites the dust.

(Might update tomorrow morning when I realise that most of the sentences I've written are completely incomprehensible)

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for the great review.

Just one question: what's the sound isolation like?

I tried these and the evolves at CanJam London recently and thought they sealed well with the foam tips offered, but only had about 5 minutes with them.

I'm finding that because of the environments I listen to music in, isolation is a big thing.

thanks

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 23
Are the cables linum t2?

Yes I believe they are.
They curl up nicely by themselves but only up to the Y-split and they become less curl-y from there to the earphones.

I wonder why these do not get more love.
They sound amazing to me!

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 23

Can you give some impressions and/or comparisons?

Hmmm I feel that be it treble, mids or bass, Evoke has it all with sufficient clarity.
Mids were suitably forward and yet not overpowering (unlike ATH-IM02 where the mids were too blatantly upfront), granting vocals authority yet not running the entire show.
Bass is punchy, does not reverb like a dynamic driver can do, but for most intents and purposes it does the job well, just not for bassheads.
But very nice for EDM for me.
My other EDM-loving friend didn't like Evoke at all, saying it's bass is too lean.
I think it's brighter than R2PROs' warmer take on music and should appeal to those who want clarity and balance served on a plate.
I far prefer it to the 3-driver Evolve which I felt to be too warm and mushy, but the 5-driver Encore was certainly a more refined and tastefully warm upgrade to the Evoke.
Just my thoughts!

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 23
  Hmmm I feel that be it treble, mids or bass, Evoke has it all with sufficient clarity.
Mids were suitably forward and yet not overpowering (unlike ATH-IM02 where the mids were too blatantly upfront), granting vocals authority yet not running the entire show.
Bass is punchy, does not reverb like a dynamic driver can do, but for most intents and purposes it does the job well, just not for bassheads.
My other EDM-loving friend didn't like Evoke at all, saying it's bass is too lean.
I think it's brighter than R2PROs' warmer take on music and should appeal to those who want clarity and balance served on a plate.
I far prefer it to the 3-driver Evolve which I felt to be too warm and mushy, but the 5-driver Encore was certainly a more refined and tastefully warm upgrade to the Evoke.
Just my thoughts!

Thanks! Sounds intriguing. I'm actually using the R2Pros primarily now so that was useful.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 23
Not a problem!

But I have been told on occasion that I hear things differently from others so here is where I insert *IMHO YMMV*

Do try it first! But I have to say I am thoroughly impressed!

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 23
Just my thoughts!

Thanks for the comparisons R2 are IEM I have been considering but not sure if there is much difference between the R2 and R2PROs' other than build material (Google search coming up!)

Thanks! Sounds intriguing. I'm actually using the R2Pros primarily now so that was useful.

How do they sound? (I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string!) 
blink.gif

Not a problem!

But I have been told on occasion that I hear things differently from others so here is where I insert *IMHO YMMV*

Do try it first! But I have to say I am thoroughly impressed!

Almost mandatory to be included when one is commenting on their experience 
wink_face.gif

So recently the jack strain-relief on my Phonaks started to fall apart, absolutely heart breaking after 5 long years, but what was exacerbating was the fact that the Phonaks have been out of production in a while, and not only so there didn't seem to be any easy way to get my hands on a new set of grey filters in England. And thus I had the reluctant job of find a similarly priced (£100-£150) replacement. Having read some good reviews of the ACS T15's, I made the illogical choice of going for the new Evoke Studio's (mainly because I wanted over-ear cabling, so the change would not be too hard on me, though seriously the T15's are on sale at £120 right now on the ACS website, it's probably a bargain). As of writing this, and my purchase, I'd only found one (albeit positive) review of the Evoke universals, so I thought I'd write down a few impressions for others to reference upon. This is also the universal version, since I don't have the money to shell out on custom molds, though I very much wish I did.

(Might update tomorrow morning when I realise that most of the sentences I've written are completely incomprehensible)

Thank you for your 1st impressions.

I visited the ACS stand at the Recent event (29th and 30th Jan) in London and foolishly tried the Evolve! 1st, these sounded amazing so for my tastes when I tried Evokes I had already been spoilt.
Result ear mould taken there and then and Evolve! ordered (10 day or so wait) 

EDIT Silly me I have ordered ACS Custom Encore! Studio Custom In-Ear Monitors NOT Evolve!

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 23
  Thanks for the comparisons R2 are IEM I have been considering but not sure if there is much difference between the R2 and R2PROs' other than build material (Google search coming up!)

How do they sound? (I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string!) 
blink.gif

Almost mandatory to be included when one is commenting on their experience 
wink_face.gif

Thank you for your 1st impressions.

I visited the ACS stand at the Recent event (29th and 30th Jan) in London and foolishly tried the Evolve! 1st, these sounded amazing so for my tastes when I tried Evokes I had already been spoilt.
Result ear mould taken there and then and Evolve! ordered (10 day or so wait) 

The R2pros are better than anything I've heard by far. But also more expensive than anything I've had so they should be. I couldn't listen to my focal spirit pros after getting the R2pros. Too muddy and not revealing and natural enough anymore.

The sound is clear, natural, smooth but dynamic. Soundstage is very good. Bass is deep but controlled - drum impacts are great. There's something at a completely different level of naturalness than anything I've heard. I think part of it is that they're so even from bass to treble, if that makes sense. So coherent. So big sounding but such a great small and well fitting design. I've sold my FSPs and have no interest in lugging around headphones anymore because the sound I get from these tiny things is just as big.

The only reason I've still got that itch is because I want to know if this is the level of sound you should expect at this price level or if these are special.

A few caveats. They need power to shine. Out of my geekout 450 they sound amazing. Out of my shozy alien good but a little flat. Also build is meh, though I haven't had any problems (yet).

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 23
Thought this thread was dead and buried.

Quote:
  Thanks for the great review.

Just one question: what's the sound isolation like?

I tried these and the evolves at CanJam London recently and thought they sealed well with the foam tips offered, but only had about 5 minutes with them.

I'm finding that because of the environments I listen to music in, isolation is a big thing.

thanks

Yeah, the isolation is all right, they come with a good set foam tips of small, medium and large. However I've realised that the medium doesn't seal perfectly and the large is too uncomfortable for me, but that's obviously a case by case issue.

Nice review. Where was the other review you found?

BTW, that track you linked is great. Thank you.

The other review I found was here: http://www.stereowiseplus.com/2015/04/acs-evoke-studio-universal-in-ear.html

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 23

The R2pros are better than anything I've heard by far. But also more expensive than anything I've had so they should be. I couldn't listen to my focal spirit pros after getting the R2pros. Too muddy and not revealing and natural enough anymore.

The sound is clear, natural, smooth but dynamic. Soundstage is very good. Bass is deep but controlled - drum impacts are great. There's something at a completely different level of naturalness than anything I've heard. I think part of it is that they're so even from bass to treble, if that makes sense. So coherent. So big sounding but such a great small and well fitting design. I've sold my FSPs and have no interest in lugging around headphones anymore because the sound I get from these tiny things is just as big.

The only reason I've still got that itch is because I want to know if this is the level of sound you should expect at this price level or if these are special.

A few caveats. They need power to shine. Out of my geekout 450 they sound amazing. Out of my shozy alien good but a little flat. Also build is meh, though I haven't had any problems (yet).

Thank you.
The price was a touch off putting initially, considering the R2A can be got for £175 in the UK compared to £400 for the R2PRO's, again it's the caveat of justifying the costs to myself more than the overall costs, I have also considered the R2S-SS which come in at £300 or did see a pair for £160 (this I must confess is a price I might consider) although SNUGS offer the RS2Pro and their custom tips for £509 which is not a bad deal considering their tips cost about £129 by themselves (I already have a 3D scan on their records) and might be the path I chose if I do go down the R2PRO route.

From my signature you may see I have the Shure SE535 and the Finder X1 by Echobox as my current IEM's.
I love the Finder especially the Titanium build and solid BASS, the SE535's offer greater all round performance but lacking for my taste, in bass (no I'm not a basshead per say), but with some Jazz tracks and that double bass miked really close, for example Holly Cole Trio album 'Girl Talk' and the track "Whoopee!: My Baby Just Cares For Me" especially from about 1'20", well controlled and delivered bass is easily achieved and basically what I'm looking for with more mid and top end than the explorers seems to deliver without resorting to EQing

EDIT: forgot to add IMO and YMMV
rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #14 of 23
Yeah there are diminishing returns. I wouldn't pay 400 gbp for the R2Pros when I could pay 175 for the R2As. The R2As are themselves very good. Not that the pros aren't better, just not 225 gbp better. 

Flare seems to discount them all the time, so if you can wait and get them for 200 (like I did), its well worth it IMO YMMV etc. lol.

Anyway we should probably stop derailing but I'm happy continue over PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back