Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Jul 9, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #2,087 of 2,162
New amp for the AR-M2 coming: Romi BX2+ Pro and bespoke power supply, including a set of 3.5mm and 4.4mm Romi-made interconnects. Lead time : 4 weeks

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #2,088 of 2,162
New amp for the AR-M2 coming: Romi BX2+ Pro and bespoke power supply, including a set of 3.5mm and 4.4mm Romi-made interconnects. Lead time : 4 weeks
Very nice! This is a very promising sounding amp, and one we're lacking impressions for. Very curious to hear how this pairs up!

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #2,089 of 2,162
I have been debating this expensive purchase for a while now, but ultimately, as Romi Ambassador😅, I have found financial courage to take the plunge. Johhny said it will take the BX2+ signature and add extra stage. Power Supply is meant to bring the whole on the next level and with a special focus on vocals. Let’s wait and wonder🔊

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #2,090 of 2,162
Courageous man. This is the amp that I am most interested in because I love the sound of the BX2 plus. Looking forward to reading your impressions when you get it

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #2,091 of 2,162
Courageous man. This is the amp that I am most interested in because I love the sound of the BX2 plus. Looking forward to reading your impressions when you get it
Thanks mate. It’s an all in, but Johnny has been tremendous today (Sunday!) with support and advice. The wait begins and expectations are high.

Jul 9, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,092 of 2,162
So I was able to pick up an AR-M2 just a bit over a week ago, and really love the player. I've been hunting for kilobuck sound in well under kilobuck pricing, and already had a great dap (for sound!) in the dethonray dtr1. Great condition and battery life isn't terrible at 5 hours music playback. At least, not terrible considering I was expecting a bit less.

It's interesting, but I'm really finding the daps pair well with different iems. For the AR-M2, there is no doubt whatsoever that it makes my single DD fdx1 just sing. It was mentioned in the thread before that the final e5000 was a great pairing, so I think the dap just loves single DD. I'm not as sold on the tribrid moonlight, but it's certainly not a disappointment. I'm just surprised that the fdx1 are bring as much enjoyment as a more technical iem.

A couple quick questions for people that already have the dap:

1. Are you using the pro player already installed or using a second party sideloaded app for music playback?
2. The question was asked about tidal - I would assume it would need a sideloaded tidal version old enough to be compatible with android 4.3. I had to use an older version of tidal to make is work with my ibasso dx200 (sold! these daps are better!). Does anyone know the version that works?
3. Is there somewhere to download the stock firmware in case there is an issue?
4. Speaking of firmware, any safe tweaks or suggestions that you're using to further improve sound quality?
5. Are you finding the same as above as far as pairings, or do you have a different thought on iem pairings?

It looks like a great next step to make the player even better is to send it to be modded in the UK, so that's a consideration. Appreciate anyone reading and responding!

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #2,093 of 2,162
So I was able to pick up an AR-M2 just a bit over a week ago, and really love the player. I've been hunting for kilobuck sound in well under kilobuck pricing, and already had a great dap (for sound!) in the dethonray dtr1. Great condition and battery life isn't terrible at 5 hours music playback. At least, not terrible considering I was expecting a bit less.

It's interesting, but I'm really finding the daps pair well with different iems. For the AR-M2, there is no doubt whatsoever that it makes my single DD fdx1 just sing. It was mentioned in the thread before that the final e5000 was a great pairing, so I think the dap just loves single DD. I'm not as sold on the tribrid moonlight, but it's certainly not a disappointment. I'm just surprised that the fdx1 are bring as much enjoyment as a more technical iem.

1. Are you using the pro player already installed or using a second party sideloaded app for music playback?
2. The question was asked about tidal - I would assume it would need a sideloaded tidal version old enough to be compatible with android 4.3. I had to use an older version of tidal to make is work with my ibasso dx200 (sold! these daps are better!). Does anyone know the version that works?
4. Speaking of firmware, any safe tweaks or suggestions that you're using to further improve sound quality?
5. Are you finding the same as above as far as pairings, or do you have a different thought on iem pairings?

It looks like a great next step to make the player even better is to send it to be modded in the UK, so that's a consideration. Appreciate anyone reading and responding!

Happy, you like this little treasure :)

1. @immortalsoul knew it before .... :beyersmile: ... I needed some more years to get to the same point. .... I used the PRO Player for several years - switched to the AR Music Player some month ago - also when usability is a bit behind the PRO Player, sound is definitely better with the standard player. When having connected the AR-M2 via Line Out to an external Amp, using the AR Music Player and doing A<->B Comparison to an Ibasso DX320 MAX, using Mango Player, which is also connected via its Line Out to the same AMP, ... it is hard to tell, which one is the winner ....
2. can not support here - don't use the AR-M2 for streaming
3. https://sc.voxxintl.com/firmware/AR-M2/
4. can not think on any ... maybe @Nostoi /NPaudio.co.uk can support here ...
5. Have only one single driver IEM ... and that one does not really comply with the AR-M2 ... my AR-M2 here is only driving Full Size HP ... even the Susvara and the DCA Stealth sound nice on the AR-M2 btw.

For your final thoughts ... as said above, not sure, if the AR-M2 can be made any better ... In my ears (since many years now) it really is an outstanding part of close to perfect engineering, component selection, implementation.

Just Enjoy It

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #2,094 of 2,162

Just to chip in my part:

1. Pro Player, but will try regular player after comments by the venerable @Klabauters
2. IDK - no streaming, all stock.
3. Above.
4. Don't think this is a firmware tweaking DAP, à la Ibasso and Sony (which I personally dislike). I've had mine modded by NPAudio, which I'm very happy with - cleaner, more precise, but still impactful and highly musical. Also new battery.
5. I actually don't find the AR-M2 too fussy - everything sounds good to me, just have to be careful about very sensitive IEMs.

I also concur with the @Klabauters - this is an amazing DAP. If I only had this and a pair of IE900, I'd probably be totally content. Everything else is a sort of luxury/bonus item.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #2,095 of 2,162
AR Music Player and doing A<->B Comparison to an Ibasso DX320 MAX, using Mango Player, which is also connected via its Line Out to the same AMP, ... it is hard to tell, which one is the winner ....
That's very interesting and not totally dissimilar to my own experience. The LO on the AR-M2 isn't as clean as Lotoo Paw Gold Ti, but it certainly scales up super well.

BTW: curious to your impressions on MAX more generally.

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #2,096 of 2,162
If it changes anything in the player vs player pro discussion, I am only doing headphone out to iems or my hd600.

And thank you both for answering; very helpful!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #2,097 of 2,162
after comments by the venerable@Klabauters
:beerchug:
BTW: curious to your impressions on MAX more generally.

The AR-M2 vs. DX320 Max turned out to be not THAT easy, so is the DX320 Max itself ...

I don't dare to announce a final verdict yet, only some first impressions and a slight feeling about the final result... I'll also take the time to fully burn in the DX320 MAX ~ 150 hours now.

I also released an order for some additional custom cables, so I can connect the AR-M2 and the MAX with exactly the same wires, to compare - just to exclude any impact from the cables ....

What is sure by now, is, that the DX320MAX has in ultimate mode (Mango System), connected via 4,4mm, a bit more micro details, a bit more separation and depth, tighter Bass, compared to the AR-M2. Probably on the cost of the overall timbre and realism. Somehow a small hint of artificiality is passing my ears/ mind. But too early to confirm/ judge on this - there is something in the tone of the MAX which is not fully coherent yet ... , esp. when connected to the Paltauf HPA, which is with its currently loaded Siemens CCA tube (in my ears) a prime example of neutrality.

As I am conditioned from my former JM Lab Electra Speakers with Beryllium tweeters for many years I have no problems with tone a little bit north of neutral/with slightly pronounced and very detailed treble. But in the MAXs sound signature there is something I can not finally describe at the moment. It almost disappears when you deactivate the ultimate mode ... but with the cost of loss of micro details, separation, depth, width ...

The DX320 MAX on Mango System with Ultimate Mode connected via 4,4mm to the D8000 PRO LE somehow technically "outperforms" the AR-M2 (with the limitations mentioned above), connected via 3,5mm I am undecided.

Usability and features (esp. in Mango Mode) of the DX320Max is lagging behind (ie. Fiio M17) and even the AR-M2 with its standard Player is offering more features (despite Folders ...).

So currently I fear, the MAX could neither replace my M17 for streaming, nor the AR-M2 for listening and enjoying pure music.

But, as said, it is too early for a final statement.

Current (interim) verdict: Don't hesitate to keep on having fun with your AR-M2 ... :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #2,098 of 2,162
Thanks kindly for the impressions @Klabauters - indeed, no hesitation at all to keeping having fun or holding on to this precious gem.

As I discovered today, while I was very happily surprised by how well HD600 performs on AR-M2, what I didn't expect is the HD800s. Hot pickle, this is magical! Not only the amount of headroom - which is staggering - but timbre, musicality, and dynamics: top notch. If you have a pair of HD800s lying around, you deserve it to pair with AR-M2.

1130739.jpg

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #2,099 of 2,162
Thanks kindly for the impressions @Klabauters - indeed, no hesitation at all to keeping having fun or holding on to this precious gem.

As I discovered today, while I was very happily surprised by how well HD600 performs on AR-M2, what I didn't expect is the HD800s. Hot pickle, this is magical! Not only the amount of headroom - which is staggering - but timbre, musicality, and dynamics: top notch. If you have a pair of HD800s lying around, you deserve it to pair with AR-M2.

1130739.jpg
Interesting to see you are back to the HD800s.

In the lifetime of my remaining AR-M2 I had in total 3 HD800s paired to it. They all sounded absolutely amazing,. Stage a little too wide, but the rest, a dream .... Malheureusement all three came from the first charges after transferring production to Ireland ... they all had massive quality issues esp. on the left driver. So at the end, after arguing a lot with Sennheiser, I gave up and went to the D8000 Pro. But I can still bite my a..., that I missed your HD800s (one of the last ones manufactured in Germany), when you sold it in those days. It is really an outstanding HP, esp. paired with the AR-M2.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #2,100 of 2,162
Interesting to see you are back to the HD800s.

In the lifetime of my remaining AR-M2 I had in total 3 HD800s paired to it. They all sounded absolutely amazing,. Stage a little too wide, but the rest, a dream .... Malheureusement all three came from the first charges after transferring production to Ireland ... they all had massive quality issues esp. on the left driver. So at the end, after arguing a lot with Sennheiser, I gave up and went to the D8000 Pro. But I can still bite my a..., that I missed your HD800s (one of the last ones manufactured in Germany), when you sold it in those days. It is really an outstanding HP, esp. paired with the AR-M2.
Yes, seems so much of audio life is rediscovery.

Oh, yikes. I actually just received these and was expecting them to be German made. I know of course that they've moved to Ireland, but I had thought that HD800s remained in Germany. Not that I have anything except Ireland (except I did live in Dublin and *loathed* it) but this is a bit disconcerting to hear of your experience. One hopes any teething issues have been fixed.

And true, I had one of the last batch of new made in Germany HD800s...which naturally I regret selling now! Seeing "made in Ireland" on the headband doesn't quite have the same ring to it. (If anyone does know of NOS German edition, please let me know)

Otherwise, I loved and love the HD800s. I sold, as you know, to upgrade to D8000 Pro and then moved onto Kennerton Thror (now for sale, btw). Both amazing headphones, but always missed the expansive sense of space of the HD800s. And I remember that some people - not least you - have issues the top end, but for me, the FR is flawless at least for some genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back