Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #2,101 of 2,162
... custom cables arrived today ...

1689335652648.jpeg

1689335465972.jpeg

now we are complete ... let's see how things develop now

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #2,102 of 2,162
Thanks kindly for the impressions @Klabauters - indeed, no hesitation at all to keeping having fun or holding on to this precious gem.

As I discovered today, while I was very happily surprised by how well HD600 performs on AR-M2, what I didn't expect is the HD800s. Hot pickle, this is magical! Not only the amount of headroom - which is staggering - but timbre, musicality, and dynamics: top notch. If you have a pair of HD800s lying around, you deserve it to pair with AR-M2.

1130739.jpg
Wow, you've got a lot of stuff lying around, mate)
I've been thinking about buying an HD800 for a while now, but the only thing stopping me is that I rarely use full-size headphones.

And, by the way, the intended use is for IEMs. I suddenly remembered that I use Iematch for my amplifier and tried to connect it to AR-M2. The result was similar to that of using a line output with an external amplifier. The sound lost some warmth, but added dynamics and expressiveness.
The combo with UM Mest 2 is really great. And the volume wheel can be used in such a way that you are not afraid to breathe on it).

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #2,104 of 2,162
Wow, you've got a lot of stuff lying around, mate)
I've been thinking about buying an HD800 for a while now, but the only thing stopping me is that I rarely use full-size headphones.

And, by the way, the intended use is for IEMs. I suddenly remembered that I use Iematch for my amplifier and tried to connect it to AR-M2. The result was similar to that of using a line output with an external amplifier. The sound lost some warmth, but added dynamics and expressiveness.
The combo with UM Mest 2 is really great. And the volume wheel can be used in such a way that you are not afraid to breathe on it).
I would say that if you have a good system to power the headphones, you should have a pair or two laying around, I love iems but have recently rediscovered the mdr 1am2 with the wm1a and now ended up getting an mdr z1r (yet to be shipped)

There's a very very satisfying feeling when you lay down on the bed with 2 pillows on your ears and music playing all around you in dimensions iems have hard times reaching

I will say though, once I get my own place I think the natural development is a nice surround system :)

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #2,105 of 2,162
Especially because you have AR-M2, you should really experiment with headphones - all that Class-A amp power will really come into fruition! The HD800s are probably the most comfortable headphone out there, you can barely feel them, so no issues on that front.

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #2,106 of 2,162
Especially because you have AR-M2, you should really experiment with headphones - all that Class-A amp power will really come into fruition! The HD800s are probably the most comfortable headphone out there, you can barely feel them, so no issues on that front.
I'll also add that from a person that does not own neither, the hd800 seem to be described as bright by many while the ar m2 is said to be warm, so just as a passerby.. seems like a natural synergy? :)

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #2,107 of 2,162
I'll also add that from a person that does not own neither, the hd800 seem to be described as bright by many while the ar m2 is said to be warm, so just as a passerby.. seems like a natural synergy? :)
The synergy is indeed very good for this reason. The AR-M2 is also very punchy and dynamic, so renders the HD800s somewhat "fun" without losing any technical precision. It reminds me a little of the WA8 pairing and to some extent Bakoon's current output pairing, both of which give a slight lift to the mid-bass on the HD800s.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #2,108 of 2,162
The synergy is indeed very good for this reason. The AR-M2 is also very punchy and dynamic, so renders the HD800s somewhat "fun" without losing any technical precision. It reminds me a little of the WA8 pairing and to some extent Bakoon's current output pairing, both of which give a slight lift to the mid-bass on the HD800s.
Awesome, I will try to trade my hm1000 hymalaya with an ar m2, if it's sold it's sold but if someone ends up trading with me I'll see what the ar m2 is all about :)

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #2,109 of 2,162
... custom cables arrived today ...

1689335652648.jpeg

1689335465972.jpeg

now we are complete ... let's see how things develop now
Amazing 🤩 - what are those interconnects?

Jul 14, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #2,110 of 2,162
Jul 15, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #2,112 of 2,162
I would never call the HD800 bright or even light. They are neutral, yes. For many, they are so neutral that they are boring.
But they are not bright. Unless - I can only assume - this can happen when the source does not drive the headphones at all. Then the bass will sink, the treble will be thinner.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #2,113 of 2,162
This is one of the reasons why I like the combo with Fostex TE100. Absolutely neutral (not light or bright) IEMs, which I would even compare in character to the HD800, well convey the warm and assertive character, pressure and emotions of the AR-M2.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #2,114 of 2,162
This was my metal combo for a year or so. Fantastic synergy.
I actually didn't really like mkii on anything else.
Oh, yeah. For me, it's also a very good combo, so I'm even thinking about buying Mest 2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back