Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Jun 22, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #2,071 of 2,162
Headphones don't need high impedance to sound good. Of course, there are some good headphones that are really hight to drive, but modern devices often do much better with different workloads. So frankly, it's rare for a modern device to pair badly with headphones (unless you don't like it).

So it's worth a try. If the amplifier is transparent enough, it will not change the character by improving the technical aspects. In addition, you should not focus only on power indicators. I have seen both cases when the combination should be good, but it is not revealed well, and the opposite cases, when it should not be, but devices combined good.
ofcourse, i mainly mentioned it's the 250ohm version because it would mean it needs more power to be driven properly, and the wm1a did a great job with the 3.5mm, it was just surprising :)

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #2,072 of 2,162
Jun 22, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #2,074 of 2,162
PA10 in the house

IMG_4957.jpeg
Let us know your impressions because I am interested in getting one myself . Thank you!

Jun 23, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #2,075 of 2,162
x-post from the AK SR35 thread - someone asking a comparison between the PA10 and the C9.

——————
The PA10 requires some more 🔥-in. I am only 10 hours in.

First impressions: the PA10 is not as versatile as the C9. Not a big deal at this price point. A propos price, how come AK came up with such an amp at that price? Typical class A sound and absolute killer built quality. This amp looks and sounds gorgeous.

vs. C9, the PA10 « sounds » maybe a bit narrower in the stage, but hey, the DAP/DAC and most importantly the transducers will make the difference. The C9 digs deeper in your tracks to brings all details in the surface while keeping the signature very musical and effortless. The noise floor is excellent on both devices, the C9 maybe is a bit more silent (to be confirmed within extended comparison).

So far, the PA10 is an affordable and better built C9 (yes, it’s possible). It’s a warmish, full sounding amp, a bit colored, but powerful and able to go very loud without distortion, with a « how much can you take »-philosophy. Pairing is key with the PA10, much less with the C9 (versatility).

The PA10 never gets warm btw. The chassis of the amp has been built with great care.

Honeymoon phase at play, I am enjoying the PA10 with my SR35 as I used to get goosebumps back in 2017 with the FiiO X5III/FiiO A5 stack. Not the same era, we have been a long way, but the old school concept of stacking gears together is dope to me.

More elements of comparison in due time.
——————

Jun 23, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #2,076 of 2,162
Anyway, let’s take the PA10 discussion out of this thread.

Jun 27, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,077 of 2,162
Anyway, let’s take the PA10 discussion out of this thread.
I think in this thread you could say a few words about his combo with the AR-M2. I would be interested.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #2,078 of 2,162
Jul 7, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #2,079 of 2,162
AR-M2 and AK PA10 stacked. More info about sound later

IMG_5096.jpeg

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #2,080 of 2,162
The AK PA10 pairs better with the AR-M2 than the C9 does. The PA10 goes pretty loud and adds a bit of warmth while keeping the energy and level of details from the DAP. I like this pairing, but I ultimately still prefer the AR-M2 as a standalone device overall with its unique snappy and clear sound. The PA10 is interesting as its smooths out some edges and adds a slight mellow flavour into the mix.

Strangely, the 4.4mm HO of the PA10 will not function if you come in with a 3.5mm cable from your source. I am not experiencing this with the C9, as I can go in-and-out with any plug. So, apparently, the input and output should be 4.4mm or 3.5mm all the way...

Is the PA10 an amp to buy for the AR-M2? Not really, unless you find the standalone AR-M2 a bit too bright and would like a more relaxed signature yet with all the details coming from the source.

The PA10, on the other hand, is the perfect partner of the modest AK SR35 and really makes it shine.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #2,081 of 2,162
Thank you for taking the time to write about the PA10. I was really interested in this amp but now that I have your thoughts about it I think I will skip it and look more at Mass Kobo and Bakoon amps

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #2,083 of 2,162
The AK PA10 pairs better with the AR-M2 than the C9 does. The PA10 goes pretty loud and adds a bit of warmth while keeping the energy and level of details from the DAP. I like this pairing, but I ultimately still prefer the AR-M2 as a standalone device overall with its unique snappy and clear sound. The PA10 is interesting as its smooths out some edges and adds a slight mellow flavour into the mix.

Strangely, the 4.4mm HO of the PA10 will not function if you come in with a 3.5mm cable from your source. I am not experiencing this with the C9, as I can go in-and-out with any plug. So, apparently, the input and output should be 4.4mm or 3.5mm all the way...

Is the PA10 an amp to buy for the AR-M2? Not really, unless you find the standalone AR-M2 a bit too bright and would like a more relaxed signature yet with all the details coming from the source.

The PA10, on the other hand, is the perfect partner of the modest AK SR35 and really makes it shine.
Thank you, this is really helpful.
I don't have any problems listening to the AR-M2 on its own (who said too much power?), but I really like to use it with the Aroma A100+PS with selected opamps. This allows me to preserve the main character of the source in terms of its warmth and emotion, while emphasizing the dynamics and adding control. This seems to be exactly what I would want from an external amplification.

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,084 of 2,162
Thank you, this is really helpful.
I don't have any problems listening to the AR-M2 on its own (who said too much power?), but I really like to use it with the Aroma A100+PS with selected opamps. This allows me to preserve the main character of the source in terms of its warmth and emotion, while emphasizing the dynamics and adding control. This seems to be exactly what I would want from an external amplification.
Agree on the last sentence, while I like to add some extra warmth sometimes.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #2,085 of 2,162

Users who are viewing this thread

Back