Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,156 of 2,161
20171013_230626_001[1].jpg

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #1,166 of 2,161
But is the new firmware 2.6.3 better than the previous one? and is audio equal, better or worse?
The sound for the firmware 2.63 will not change but the sound coming from the new Pro Player app will differ slightly from the previous AR Music Player. I have tested it for several hours and found the PRO player has a higher volume or gain but loses some of the delicacy and nuances I can find in the regular AR Music Player, I use UE900s and JH Roxanne to test and the music file is in FLAC format and use the light grey silicone tips coming from Samsung SIII which are still by far the best I've tried out of my collection.
So with the Pro Player, the sound it's very similar but slightly changed, like pumped, stronger... It's like changing the tips or using a cable with a higher gain (similar to the ones sold by FiiO for other earphones per example) The difference for me is significant because of my sound preferences, others will prefer the less nuanced / less delicate but more aggressive, tighter, sound of the PRO.
A big difference is that the PRO seems to be able to read all sort of files the old player couldn't but still have issues with hidden Mac files. You can also try the Onkyo HF player, it's better at arranging files.

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,168 of 2,161
*sigh*
I'm still trying to acquire an AR-M2. I was in contact with VOXX Hong Kong and they said they could ship to Canada. I provided additional info to get the process started and haven't heard back for two weeks. Is there some holiday going on over there?

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #1,169 of 2,161
The sound for the firmware 2.63 will not change but the sound coming from the new Pro Player app will differ slightly from the previous AR Music Player. I have tested it for several hours and found the PRO player has a higher volume or gain but loses some of the delicacy and nuances I can find in the regular AR Music Player, I use UE900s and JH Roxanne to test and the music file is in FLAC format and use the light grey silicone tips coming from Samsung SIII which are still by far the best I've tried out of my collection.
So with the Pro Player, the sound it's very similar but slightly changed, like pumped, stronger... It's like changing the tips or using a cable with a higher gain (similar to the ones sold by FiiO for other earphones per example) The difference for me is significant because of my sound preferences, others will prefer the less nuanced / less delicate but more aggressive, tighter, sound of the PRO.
A big difference is that the PRO seems to be able to read all sort of files the old player couldn't but still have issues with hidden Mac files. You can also try the Onkyo HF player, it's better at arranging files.

Hello JosephMorin as proof that the sound change, with the new firware; do you have two AR-M2 with different firmware to test and notice the differences? ...
Regards...

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #1,170 of 2,161
*sigh*
I'm still trying to acquire an AR-M2. I was in contact with VOXX Hong Kong and they said they could ship to Canada. I provided additional info to get the process started and haven't heard back for two weeks. Is there some holiday going on over there?
I'm based in Hong Kong. there hasn't been a holiday since the first week of october. they are just slow in getting back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back