Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #1,036 of 2,161
I'm not sure firmware 2.6 introduces any changes to the M2's audio performance per se. If I recall correctly, it apparently fixes gapless playback of .wav files, among other issues. However, you should be aware that I haven't got an M2. (I'd still like to get one. . . .) You'll want to search this thread to find reports from users who've installed 2.6.

Best regards,
Brian
thanks
I'm not sure firmware 2.6 introduces any changes to the M2's audio performance per se. If I recall correctly, it apparently fixes gapless playback of .wav files, among other issues. However, you should be aware that I haven't got an M2. (I'd still like to get one. . . .) You'll want to search this thread to find reports from users who've installed 2.6.

Best regards,
Brian

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,037 of 2,161
Yes, supposedly there is a major difference in sound quality between the two DAPs.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to wonder whether the M2 has a future, at least in North America. Acoustic Research couldn't be bothered to announce the availability of new playback software. And firmware updates? Fuggedaboutit! The last official version was released well over a year ago, and there's no sign of further development. (Indeed, although I still want to buy an M2, AR's site no longer even offers M2's firmware for download.)

Well, what say you all? Perhaps @robfol would care to respond?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi all. Thanks for your interest in the M2.

In short, M2 sonic performance is on a cost-no-object reference class Hi-Res DAPs whereas the M20 is a scaled down version, but with added usability, such as Bluetooth, longer battery life and lighter weight.

Some high impedance or high sensitivity IEM's or CIEM's may pick up internal noise and may be amplified by the dedicated headphone amplifier. However, this doesn't occur in every case. In such instances, AR offers the AR-AR7-IA Impedance Adapter ($99 MSRP), which loads 100 ohms in line to be used with the IEMs picking up noise. The cable is a high quality, high-end cable that provides reduction in amplified noise and, at the same time, offers a wider dynamic range and volume scales when used with those IEMs.

Here is a comparison of feature sets and specs.

M2 M20

Dedicated and discrete headphone amplifier circuitry Built-in Class AB HP amplifier

Full class A 3.7V current output Class AB 2V voltage output

Alps analog volume pot Digital volume button @ 0.5dB increment

Burr Brown PCM1794A DAC Burr Brown PCM5242 DAC

Dedicated Line-Out Line-Out shared with headphone out

64G internal memory 32G internal memory

4200mAh 3150mAh battery

We hope this helps. Always drop us a line if you have a follow-up question.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,038 of 2,161
Hi all. Thanks for your interest in the M2.

In short, M2 sonic performance is on a cost-no-object reference class Hi-Res DAPs whereas the M20 is a scaled down version, but with added usability, such as Bluetooth, longer battery life and lighter weight.

Some high impedance or high sensitivity IEM's or CIEM's may pick up internal noise and may be amplified by the dedicated headphone amplifier. However, this doesn't occur in every case. In such instances, AR offers the AR-AR7-IA Impedance Adapter ($99 MSRP), which loads 100 ohms in line to be used with the IEMs picking up noise. The cable is a high quality, high-end cable that provides reduction in amplified noise and, at the same time, offers a wider dynamic range and volume scales when used with those IEMs.

Here is a comparison of feature sets and specs.

M2 M20

Dedicated and discrete headphone amplifier circuitry Built-in Class AB HP amplifier

Full class A 3.7V current output Class AB 2V voltage output

Alps analog volume pot Digital volume button @ 0.5dB increment

Burr Brown PCM1794A DAC Burr Brown PCM5242 DAC

Dedicated Line-Out Line-Out shared with headphone out

64G internal memory 32G internal memory

4200mAh 3150mAh battery

We hope this helps. Always drop us a line if you have a follow-up question.

Thanks.

P.S. We'll have an update regarding firmware soon.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,039 of 2,161
Thanks for the reply.
How does it work with Tidal? On my DPX1 when there is a Tidal update, it's a simple process via Android.
However, when I had the M20, this was not possible (Tidal APK). Do you have to reload the whole app as if you were downloading it for the first time?

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #1,041 of 2,161
I ordered my M2 from Taobao International mid last year, and had been enjoying it since. It could be mere luck, but I do not have any problem with noise. I bought a Campfire Andromeda a few months ago and even with that very sensitive iem, I hear no noise from my M2 when it is not playing, with volume turned to max. I have the screen brightness set to min because it is always bright enough. That said, the WiFi reception icon never shows full strength of the signal. It is at most 2 bars even when I am a metre away from the Wi-Fi router. However, there is no signal drop even when I am 10m from the router with the icon showing only one bar. I have installed the APK Pure app. It works just like Play Store and shows updates availability, except that it will download and install apps in apk automatically.

I have been using the new player app for a month now and it seems very stable. It now recognizes cue files and ISO files, and the UI Is excellent and responsive. The only gripe I have with it is when the player is stopped for quite a while, the play button does not wake it up. I have to switch on the screen before I can play again. Even though the M2 could be some two years old now, it is still one of the best sounding DAP in the market. The dynamics and 3D soundstage and the warmth of the Class A output is still not matched by some new TOTL DAP with balanced output which I recently auditioned.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,045 of 2,161
Can AR-M2 be recharged with a fast battery charger?

Yes, it recharges faster with a >1A power adaptor. I am using 2.5A.

You'll probably want to be careful: Although many devices can be fast-charged, it's my understanding that doing so may shorten a battery's life overall. I think it's a particularly important consideration for a device such as the M2, which contains a battery that isn't user-replaceable. If possible, it would be a good idea to check whether the charger you want to use is optimal.

Kind regards,
Brian

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #1,046 of 2,161
Well, 2.5A is just the maximum current the adaptor can provide. The M2 will draw any current its firmware has been designed to permit charging the battery. It is proven that charging is faster with higher current. I always stop charging below 80% full as advised by some websites to lengthen the life of the lithium battery.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #1,048 of 2,161
in the AR-M2 developer options there is the fast charging option, this adapter is okay?
20170920_075124.jpg

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #1,050 of 2,161
As Brian suggested, it would be cautios to use the fast charge not very often.
Best choice is slow recharge (1A), this means minus heat and finally better to recharge avoiding to drop under 10% and over 90% and one time every 3-4 months a complete recharge after a complete descharge. Should be the best treatment for the lithium battery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back