Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Sep 10, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #736 of 2,161
Hi Andrew

Funnily enough I am just passing though SB this weekend, out in wine country now

Acoustic Research only sell online is USA, currently offering a 20% discount for mail list signup taking it to $959 approx

http://www.acousticresearch-hifi.com

BUT we had a problem on the discount yesterday, so if it doesn't show, just wait a day or so, or let me know

Cheers Robert 

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #737 of 2,161
  Finally grabbed the AR-M2 and certainly not disappointed. 

Some brief comments:
1. Unlike some reports, I didn't get signal noise when I was using the monitor. using the IEM. But there were some when changing the volume. (not noticable during music listening)
2. The build quality feels solid, the back polishing feels really nice to hold. In fact so good that I don't think I will be grabbing a case.
3. The volume knob provides perfect volume control. What I wish they have done is to provide an indicator of the current volume level however or maybe some sort of tactical feedback would have been nice.
4. Android experience for me is great, and extremely easy to transfer music (drag and drop)

The audio quality is just amazing.
I am not using high end gear, been using my good old Philips L2, nuforce HEM6 with oppo HA2 which produce pretty solid quality.
But AR-M2 just sounds better, almost can't believe the L2 can give this much performance. 

I am going to pick my first full sized headphone this weekend, pretty darn exciting.

Update:
The volume knob does produce some signal noise, which is really weird. Can anyone confirm this happens to them? 

The ks for buying and glad you love the sound and the player!

The volume control is a very expensive manual Alps device as used ig high-end Hi-Fi gear, chosen for pure sound quality. It does produce some noise during use, depending on sensitivity of phones in use. It is inaudible on most phones and it makes no noise during music replay. This is a characteristic not a fault.

The manual function is also why we cannot implement volume level indications.

Please let us know how you get on with full-size phones AND if you have time a review would be fantastic

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #738 of 2,161
  Hello -

I'm definitely interested in the M2, but I'm concerned about the battery. I understand the M2's battery isn't user-accessible, but is it at least possible to have a technician replace it? I'd rather pay to install a new battery than be forced to discard an otherwise functional device.

Best regards,
Brian

The M2 is just like the iPhone and most modern device, in not having a user serviceable battery, however...
1. You should get 3-5 years use from the M2 battery
2. The battery can easily be changed by any competent service technician, provided they order the correct battery part from AR Service
So no problem, dive in and enjoy sound. Look forward to your feedback.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #739 of 2,161
Hi,

Any news about update for M2 for the UI?

Searching for artist and getting a  list of songs in alphabetical order rather than by album is a deal breaker for me

Thanks..................

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #740 of 2,161
  Hi,

Any news about update for M2 for the UI?

Searching for artist and getting a  list of songs in alphabetical order rather than by album is a deal breaker for me

Thanks..................

Nope sorry, lots of tweaks so far including lossless gapless and rewind sorted, but what you want is year end.
It i in the planning though, I'd like it too
Surely though, you would prefer better sound to a a UI that does what you want & sounds worse?

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #742 of 2,161

Thanks for your reply.

Last month you'd mentioned AR was considering a tour for the M2. Is it still being planned?

Thanks,
Brian

We are for UK and USA, not organised yet. Send me DM with full contact info if you are interested

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #746 of 2,161
  Can someone answer this

I have an SD card that says u3. 3 is inside u. Is that good with M2? I also want to know how some cards can sound better than others when SD card only affects the digital part the the sound producing process.

Can't say regarding the u3 is it a Class 10 who is it manufactured by? This is just a theory but I would say cards capable of faster data transfer are able to reproduce better sound due to the digital information being read at a faster speed resulting in less lag and no loss of data as it's being read.

I could be talking out my ass there but hey it's my take on it, if not just ask Google great guy but kind of a smart ass seems to always have an answer for everything lol. Most people probably know him though and he is quite useful
wink_face.gif

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #748 of 2,161
Is m2 gonna update to Android 5 6 or 7?

Not in the short-term and no great reason to do so. 
Our Droid OS is heavily customised for SQ and AR Player app bypasses Android totally
But we are looking at this for the future
What do you think benefits would be for player usage?

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #749 of 2,161
  Not in the short-term and no great reason to do so. 
Our Droid OS is heavily customised for SQ and AR Player app bypasses Android totally
But we are looking at this for the future
What do you think benefits would be for player usage?

Having up to date OS, will make third party apps (Tidal, Spotify...) work.  If you never update OS, these apps may stop working as the app companies update their apps.  One of the reasons I went the the AR-M20 over the Sony NW-ZX2, is that Sony will not update the OS, most likely making Tidal and other 3rd party apps not work in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back