Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Sep 5, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #722 of 2,161
  Hi, which combination is better : the Beyerdynamic T1 generation 2 with the Chord Mojo or the Beyerdynamic T1 generation 2 with the AR-M2?

Thanking you in advance!
Roi

I can't speak to the T1 but with the Fostex TH-X00 and Westone ES5 the AR offers superior soundstage and imaging and a more 'natural' presentation. The Chord is of course extremely visceral and powerful and sounds very good but the AR M2 truly does sound 'just sound like music'. With the Chord I find myself focusing on details, flipping between tracks and doing the "Audiophile" thing. I started in with my first track on the M2 (Stevie Wonder Don't you worry 'bout a thing off Innervisions at 96/24) and ended up listening to the entire album and then some with both headphones. The M2 especially does well with the TH-X00 which needs some power to shine. Dynamics and slam shine when the X00 is well driven and that happens with the M2 (although the Mojo can truly throw them around). The ES5 is much easier to drive but when paired with the Mojo sounds flat and sterile. Not the case with the M2.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #723 of 2,161

Apologies, I had not seen the amp before. It is powerful, however it doubles the price of the 300 and makes for a heavy player. 
In the opinion of most industry people and professional reviewers, Acoustic Research sound is much more musical than A&K, the amp itself is irrelevant.
The M2 drives the T1s quite happily - apart from that I cannot answer your question I'm afraid
You need to do some auditions yourself 
Good luck and let us know what you find

Hi, thanks! I was told I can connect the line out of the AR-M2 to an external amp.. Would it unleash the full potential of the T1 gen2s?
Is Beyerdynamic A20 a good option?

Thanks a lot!
Roi

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #724 of 2,161
Hi, thanks! I was told I can connect the line out of the AR-M2 to an external amp.. Would it unleash the full potential of the T1 gen2s?

Thanks a lot!
Roi

It's almost like you are trying NOT to understand him.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #725 of 2,161
Hi,

after I sold my X7 (horrible device btw) I'm looking for another DAP and M2 is on the top of my list now. Just wanna ask if M2 supports gapless play with AIFF format on a current firmware?

Thanks

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #726 of 2,161
  Hi,

after I sold my X7 (horrible device btw) I'm looking for another DAP and M2 is on the top of my list now. Just wanna ask if M2 supports gapless play with AIFF format on a current firmware?

Thanks

It will do fully and seamlessly with firmware v2.6 due out very shortly. Happy to send you beta if you get M2 before then

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #727 of 2,161

Thanks a lot!
Roi

Hiya, look the M2 does not need an external amp to drive T1 Gen 2s, why do you think it does? You can connect an amp to the M2 via line out if you really want to. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #728 of 2,161
Hey sorry have been taking some time off Head Fi. Firstly must say great choice with the Oriolus love the sound signature, regarding pairings with the M2 does really well it's been awhile since I've heard them but from memory there was no issues the adaptor is for those really sensitive earphones or just those with that innate ability to pick out noise when a butterfly lands on the window ledge of the other side of the world.

Kidding aside it must be a gift and curse. Personally haven't found a ton of iems that have any issues with the power of the M2 just be careful not to whack her up fully as she is a beast. 

Regarding the amp as I have no ties to AR now I can say what I like about A&K and they are a brilliant company always pushing innovation at a very high cost, that being said if you get a chance to A and B the units I would. 

When demoing just across from A&K at a show someone wandered over sat down and plugged in their heavily modded Grado's. Their words paraphrased were pretty much this "The A&K produces good sound, The AR produces great music". Take from that what you will but I've never liked A&K's attempt at a budget range. Competition is stiffer and stiffer these day and whilst the firmware probably could do with a big overhaul on the AR (not that it's too much of an issue) it is still to date one of the best sounding players on the market regardless of price.

Thank you ( and AR Voice ! ) for your answers! I am also not a big A&K fan, but there UI is awsome.....but for me is the music quality the first choice....!

Regards and sorry for my englisch :p

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #729 of 2,161
Hello -

I'm definitely interested in the M2, but I'm concerned about the battery. I understand the M2's battery isn't user-accessible, but is it at least possible to have a technician replace it? I'd rather pay to install a new battery than be forced to discard an otherwise functional device.

Best regards,
Brian

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #730 of 2,161
Hi Guys. First one on head fi so excuse repetition...

1. will M2 be good with Ether? My Calyx M drives them well but I am looking for some more low end..
2. I heard these can drive HD800 well but well enough? Better than Hugo.. ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #731 of 2,161
Finally grabbed the AR-M2 and certainly not disappointed. 

Some brief comments:
1. Unlike some reports, I didn't get signal noise when I was using the monitor. using the IEM. But there were some when changing the volume. (not noticable during music listening)
2. The build quality feels solid, the back polishing feels really nice to hold. In fact so good that I don't think I will be grabbing a case.
3. The volume knob provides perfect volume control. What I wish they have done is to provide an indicator of the current volume level however or maybe some sort of tactical feedback would have been nice.
4. Android experience for me is great, and extremely easy to transfer music (drag and drop)

The audio quality is just amazing.
I am not using high end gear, been using my good old Philips L2, nuforce HEM6 with oppo HA2 which produce pretty solid quality.
But AR-M2 just sounds better, almost can't believe the L2 can give this much performance. 

I am going to pick my first full sized headphone this weekend, pretty darn exciting.

Update:
The volume knob does produce some signal noise, which is really weird. Can anyone confirm this happens to them? 

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #733 of 2,161
Considering AR-M2 or AR-M20 and Onkyo DP-X1. Any comparisons of SQ between the three? I am worried about QC with the Onkyo. Bought one, supposedly new batch, and it had the dreaded loose jacks, so I returned it. So I am leaning towards one of the AR models. How much of a SQ difference is there between M2 & M20? Also if I get AR-M2 and use with iems, does the AR impedance adapter affect SQ? Does it cut out noise on sensitive iems?

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #734 of 2,161
Would really stay away from onkyo now.

AR M20 deserves so much more hype but how can people be confident in its quality if the flagship has a pretty major flaw (even if it isn't affecting a lot of listeners)

Onkyo on the other hand just messed it up with its qc, the device was really hyped up in Hong Kong. It was actually setting a trend for cable customizing to a balanced output.
Now the resell value is very low over here and it seems even if you don't have the issue now, it's very easily reproduced.

Now opus #1 and AK70 are taking all the hype, simply because they don't have any significant flaw.

Anyway I have settled with AR M2, it's extremely good, just gotta return to get that scratching sound when I adjust the volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back