Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Sep 3, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #706 of 2,161
Hi, what are the advantages\disadvantages of the AR-M2 over the Astell and Kern AK300 with the AK AMP ?

Is the DAC of the AR-M2 better than the one of the AK300?

Thank you in advance!

Roi Hadad
hello i never heard the ak300 , but i think that class A amplification is an advantage , in the past i had a Ak240 and the Ar-m2 is better, the Dac chip alone does not mean much , is important the dac chip and all the things before and after the chip, i can compare the ar-m2 to Lotoo paw gold for exemple, the ar-m2 is more warm, the lotoo is more neutral, i love both

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #707 of 2,161
Hello i have both, both have a wonderful sound signature ,the ar-m2 has more body more grunt and the Ar-m2 has loads of more power, if i only had iem's i will be happy with zx2 but with big cans Ar-m2 all the way

If you were to buy one today, and only using iems (Earsonics velvet, Flare R2S, Heir Audio 3) which would you buy? Also have Ultrasone Signature Pro which I have the "Balanced" TRRS cable for the ZX2.  Mostly listening to FLAC and Tidal.

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #712 of 2,161
Hello i have both, both have a wonderful sound signature ,the ar-m2 has more body more grunt and the Ar-m2 has loads of more power, if i only had iem's i will be happy with zx2 but with big cans Ar-m2 all the way

Thanks Denis, glad you like what we do. Any chance of writing a review of the M2? love to to see one.
Watch out for Firmware update 2.6 due shortly. DM me if you would like to test a 99% beta

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #713 of 2,161

Hi, wouldn't I need an external amp to get the full potential out of the T1 gen2s? 

No, the Class A amp in the M2 is very powerful and also more powerful and better sounding than any amp in any A&K

(EDITED - A&K with $700 add-on amp is more powerful)

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #714 of 2,161
I have found a really solid deal that priced the M2 (99% new) basically on the M20 level.
Can anyone give me some comments before I dive in?

I will be using it mostly with IEM, but would love to drive a full sized high quality headphone when I upgrade.  (If anyone using hifiman headphones with it, your impression will be highly appreciated)
Apparently there is some noise when using with some IEMs?

The Hong Kong facebook mentioned this is caused by the GPU, so if I don't use the screen, it should be noise free.
Can anyone confirm this? 

I am not a techy audiophile, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Will the above issue affects a easy to drive headphones?
I normally owns a IEM and light portable headphones (Philips Fidelio L2 at the moment), so this is pretty important to me as well.

The volume knob positioning looks quite dangerous to accidentally pushed around. Is there anyway to lock the volume in the player?
(I am guessing there is a maximum volume setting somewhere in the player)

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #715 of 2,161
  I have found a really solid deal that priced the M2 (99% new) basically on the M20 level.
Can anyone give me some comments before I dive in?

I will be using it mostly with IEM, but would love to drive a full sized high quality headphone when I upgrade.  (If anyone using hifiman headphones with it, your impression will be highly appreciated)
Apparently there is some noise when using with some IEMs?

The Hong Kong facebook mentioned this is caused by the GPU, so if I don't use the screen, it should be noise free.
Can anyone confirm this? 

I am not a techy audiophile, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Will the above issue affects a easy to drive headphones?
I normally owns a IEM and light portable headphones (Philips Fidelio L2 at the moment), so this is pretty important to me as well.

The volume knob positioning looks quite dangerous to accidentally pushed around. Is there anyway to lock the volume in the player?
(I am guessing there is a maximum volume setting somewhere in the player)

Good deal! For this price I suggest you GRAB the M2 now. 

1.  There is only noise on about 2% of IEMs, the most sensitive BA models. Even then when music is playing it is not a problem.
     Also when music is playing, the GPU powers off anyway.

2. No

3. We made the volume knob stiffer after first samples, but yes you can knock it. As this is a precision manual control there is no max vol limit

Sep 4, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #716 of 2,161

No, the Class A amp in the M2 is very powerful and also more powerful and better sounding than any amp in any A&K

Hi, I saw the power of the Astell and Kern AK Amp is 
  1. 4.1 VRMS unbalanced output
  2. 8.1 VRMS high-gain balanced output

That's much more than the amp of the AR-M2.

Or does the AR-M2 sound better than the AK300 with the AK Amp?

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #718 of 2,161
Hi AR Voice, no answer until now...can you please give me your thoughts about my question, my Oriolus has only 16 Ohm... is the Adapter a "Must have" for me?

Cheers

No idea to be honest, I have never heard Oriolus and we don't have access to every headphone there is (-:
You will only need that adapter if the O are ultra-ultra-sensitive. Why not get the player first and then get an adapter if you find a problem

1.  There is only noise on about 2% of IEMs, the most ultra-sensitive BA models.
     Even then when music is playing it is not a problem.
     Also when music is playing, the GPU powers off.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #719 of 2,161

Hi, I saw the power of the Astell and Kern AK Amp is 
  1. 4.1 VRMS unbalanced output
  2. 8.1 VRMS high-gain balanced output

That's much more than the amp of the AR-M2.

Or does the AR-M2 sound better than the AK300 with the AK Amp?

Apologies, I had not seen the amp before. It is powerful, however it doubles the price of the 300 and makes for a heavy player. 
In the opinion of most industry people and professional reviewers, Acoustic Research sound is much more musical than A&K, the amp itself is irrelevant.
The M2 drives the T1s quite happily - apart from that I cannot answer your question I'm afraid
You need to do some auditions yourself 
Good luck and let us know what you find

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #720 of 2,161
Hi AR Voice, no answer until now...can you please give me your thoughts about my question, my Oriolus has only 16 Ohm... is the Adapter a "Must have" for me?

Cheers

Hey sorry have been taking some time off Head Fi. Firstly must say great choice with the Oriolus love the sound signature, regarding pairings with the M2 does really well it's been awhile since I've heard them but from memory there was no issues the adaptor is for those really sensitive earphones or just those with that innate ability to pick out noise when a butterfly lands on the window ledge of the other side of the world.

Kidding aside it must be a gift and curse. Personally haven't found a ton of iems that have any issues with the power of the M2 just be careful not to whack her up fully as she is a beast. 

Regarding the amp as I have no ties to AR now I can say what I like about A&K and they are a brilliant company always pushing innovation at a very high cost, that being said if you get a chance to A and B the units I would. 

When demoing just across from A&K at a show someone wandered over sat down and plugged in their heavily modded Grado's. Their words paraphrased were pretty much this "The A&K produces good sound, The AR produces great music". Take from that what you will but I've never liked A&K's attempt at a budget range. Competition is stiffer and stiffer these day and whilst the firmware probably could do with a big overhaul on the AR (not that it's too much of an issue) it is still to date one of the best sounding players on the market regardless of price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back