Ack! Having a harder and harder time finging new music!
Nov 16, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #16 of 26
Hehe, sounds familiar
smily_headphones1.gif

Some of my favourite Autechre tracks; vietrmx (plaid mix), eutow, eggshell, corc, rae - all better examples of their stuff.

Oh, just remembered another 2 artists I listen to when I'm in the mood - Frontline Assembly and Leaether strip, excellent to listen to when playing fast-action games or to get in the mood for going out (ministry tires me out rather than hypes me up
wink.gif
)

Nov 16, 2001 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 26
Cool, some other Chroma Key fans!

If you like Hallucinogen, you should try Shpongle (more laid back).

Listening to the new VNV Nation single right now, looking forward to the album. I think they're on tour with Icon of Coil.

If you like Depeche Mode, VNV Nation, :wumpscut:, et al, try Melotron (synth-pop) (any album, single, or EP), Mentallo & the Fixer's new one, Vengeance is Mine (darker, post-industrial hard synth-pop), and ohGr's Welt (darker post-industrial hard synth-pop).

If you like guitar gods, try Bernd Steidl. He has two albums. The second one, Paganiniana (called something else in Europe) should be easier to find, being only just released. His first one was released 10 years ago (Psycho-Acoustic Overture). Kind of ripping, shredding guitar with band and orchestra, albeit acoustic. Both albums are really short (~35 minutes), but...they're so good, you won't care. Besides, as I've said many times before, there are probably more notes on it than on an album twice that length by Godflesh.

Favorite discovery in the electronic cut'n'paste world is The Rip-Off Artist (aka Matt Haines). My favorite track is still the first one I've heard by him, his version of "Sway" by Dean Martin/Julie London (he morphs between the two voices -- very clever) on Electro Lounge Vol. 1. But apparently, he has like 7 albums out (I only have three).

Oh, and if you like Autechre, you should check out Mouse On Mars -- they woop their butts!

Quote:

Autechre are tricky, I have a bad case of "I like their old stuff better than their new stuff" when it comes to them

Yeah, me too, but they still have that occasional flash of beauty -- what was that one long track on Peel Sessions 1? That was a standout. I think it was "Drone" (don't have it handy).

Something a little different -- The ****ing Champs (sorry, that really is their name). Sort of prog meets Black Sabbath/early Metallica. Riff heaven. Hard, yet instrumental. Only album I've been able to find by them so far is IV. They also do a collab with Trans Am (recommended if you like Tortoise) called Trans Champs. Eh, I liked it, but it's a little bit more laid back.

Nov 16, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #18 of 26
I don't mind some of the mouse on mars stuff, but like autechre - they can get carried away. Only in MOMs case it's bleepbloopness rather than tickythwackness
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
I don't mind some of the mouse on mars stuff, but like autechre - they can get carried away. Only in MOMs case it's bleepbloopness rather than tickythwackness
smily_headphones1.gif

So true...

Nov 17, 2001 at 1:19 AM Post #20 of 26
Check out "Thievery Corporation-Mirror Conspiracy." Smooth dub from Washington DC. That's them in my avatar!

Nov 17, 2001 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 26
I've got mirror conspiracy here on my desk in front of me
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I first heard their stuff on the hi fidelity lounge cd.

Another one - GusGus; This is Normal.

Nov 17, 2001 at 5:32 AM Post #22 of 26
I used to have Mirror Conspiracy, I didn't really like it though.

I downloaded some Autechre mp3s and they are indeed much better then the nearly random noise that is ep7.

Arena is awesome! Prog metal meets Mannheim Steamroller!

Nov 23, 2001 at 6:05 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

having a harder and harder time finding new music!

one problem i definately DON'T have. for example, i just discovered Bruckner. Got live proformances conducted by Horenstein of the 8th and 9th Symphonies. and they're great! when in doubt, public libraries usually have OK music collections at least for jazz and classical, as do University libraries.

Dec 1, 2001 at 7:27 AM Post #26 of 26
Since you like old Metallica, I would suggest picking up Electric Wizard's latest record Dopethrone. The recording quality is inconsistent from track to track, but Electric Wizard is absolutely the last word in heavy music today.

Plus, if you are in to electronica and jazz improvisation, why not get the two blended together in the music of John Zorn? He has done numerous projects (Masada and Painkiller to name a few) ranging from traditional jazz to heavy metal fusion to everything in between.

Also, I have to give a nod to my favorite improviser of all time, the noise music of Merzbow. For a purely visceral listening experience, nothing can top the complex noisescapes of this Japanese legend.

cajunchrist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back