Ack! Having a harder and harder time finging new music!
Nov 15, 2001 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Xevion

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know, I think I have tried to hard lately. My preferences include but are not limited to

Dream Theater
Therion
Gustav Holst
Loreena Mckennit
Depesche Mode
Beethoven
Bach
Grieg
Loreena Mckennit
Enya
Shadow Gallery
Old metallica
Blind Guardian
VNV Nation
Wumpscut
Cheezy German Techno/redos of pop songs like Barbie Girl (I love German)
Rammstein
Victor Wooten
Miles Davis
Astral Projection
Front 242
The Hive
Moxy Fruvous
Opeth
Jow Satriani
Project Alcazar
Rhapsody
Luca Turilli
Angra
Symphony X
Liquid Tension Experiment
King's X
Vangelis
Dali's Delimma
Planet X
Mullmuzzler
Skyclad
Spacemen 3
Tempest
The Gathering
Afro Celt Sound System
Tabla Beat Science
Yes
King Crimson

Just to name a few. Anyone have any ideas? I just made this list off the top of my head.

In particular I like prog metal, classical, power metal, and various forms of electronica, I don't like stuff that has a hip-hip/soul type of sound but blues are alright, bluegrass isn't my thing although I love a good bassist like Wooten or Pastorious, but I also like the powerful guitar of Therion, the insane guitar of Pertucci. As a general rule of thumb I tend to like commercial sounding groups less then non-commercial ones but there are exceptions like Depesche Mode
smily_headphones1.gif

Perhaps it is time to expand my classical music collection which is sorely lacking, but outside of the major composers I don't know where to start. Likewise I have a few jazz CDs but I don't particularly feel the need to expand my collection in that direction.

Well, if anyone has any ideas, share them please, and I can probably give you some ideas too in exchange for your help.

Edit: I also like improv, whether jazz or prog rock or something entirely different, I find it very refreshing.

Nov 15, 2001 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 26
Spiritualized. Since you mentioned Spacemen 3. But I guess you know about 'em. I think Spacemen 3 is better though.

Silverbullit. Swedens own Spacemen 3! Check 'em out.

Beta Band. A couple of crazy Scotsmen. You seem to like experimental stuff.

Spectrum. Sonic Booms project after S3. Havn't heard that much though...

Nov 15, 2001 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 26
Heh, Astral Projection are one of my fave for late-night listening..
Try Hallucinogen and perhaps Infected Mushroom.
Umm.. Covenant also maybe if they're not already somewhere on a list?
And I'm going to keep pushing Dead Can Dance until someone else backs me up or tells me to shut up
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2001 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 26
We like a lot of the same stuff. For the rock, try The Flower Kings, Marillion, Fish, Liquid Tension Experiment (gtr, keys, drummer from Dream Theater with Tony Levin). Try some Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, and Jeff Beck.

For Jazz, try Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Kenny Garret.

There is a prog-rock magazine out called Progressions. It has lots of obscure proggers in it

Nov 15, 2001 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 26
Here is my Classical To Get List, maybe You might want to get something from there :

Rachel Barton - Instrument of the Devil
Jacqueline du Pré plays Dvorák & Saint-Saëns
Natalie Dessay - Mozart Heroines
WAGNER / LOPEZ-COBOS / CINCINNATI SYMPHONY Overtures
WAGNER / MAAZEL / BPO Ring Without Words
Telarc Collection, Vol. 7
Garrick Ohlsson - The Complete Chopin Piano Works Vol. 12 - Songs / Ewa Podles
Beethoven: Cello Sonatas & Variations (Jacqueline du pre)
Apocalyptica - Cult
Alan Moore/Tim Perkins : Highbury Working: Beat Seance (Spoken Word)
Vampyros Lesbos Sexadelic Dance Party CD (Jazz)

Nov 15, 2001 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 26
Bozzio Levin Stevens.

IMO a more refined LTE kind of music, lots of styles and influences. and Steve Stevens is a great quitarplayer. and with Tony Levin on the bass, what else could you ask for? Terry Bozzio on drums ofcourse!
tongue.gif

John Coltrane.

my favorite Jazz artist (not that much expereince here yet tho)
smily_headphones1.gif

Chroma Key.

Kevin Moore's triphoppy project (which he started after leaving DT). very different from the other bands on your list. but if you're any kind of fan of DT, you should at least hear it once if you ask me.

Arena.

prog. I bet you'll at least like the album "Immortal?". Mitchell is a great guitarplayer, Nolan is a magician with keyboards
smily_headphones1.gif

Nightwish.

I'm surprised it isn't on that list! prog with a metal edge, female opera vocals. very powerfull combination!

Nov 15, 2001 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
We like a lot of the same stuff. For the rock, try The Flower Kings, Marillion, Fish, Liquid Tension Experiment (gtr, keys, drummer from Dream Theater with Tony Levin). Try some Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, and Jeff Beck.

For Jazz, try Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Kenny Garret.

There is a prog-rock magazine out called Progressions. It has lots of obscure proggers in it

Yay another prog-rocker!!!

Best online prog site is dprp. If you havn't then check it out at www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl It's in english, updated VERY regularly and has a great reviews section.

Nov 15, 2001 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton

Yay another prog-rocker!!!

Best online prog site is dprp. If you havn't then check it out at www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl It's in english, updated VERY regularly and has a great reviews section.

This is what makes the net a great place. Finding people with similar interests and getting a lot of good info in exchange. The site you gave is GREAT. Thanks.

More good bands.......Spock's Beard, Enchant, Cairo, James Labrie's Mullmuzzer, Kamelot, Platypus, Translantic.

I would also be remiss without saying Rush.

Nov 15, 2001 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 26
Coltrane is the ultimate improviser.............and you said you like improvisation.

Check out A Love Supreme - seemingly perfect free jazz.......

Nov 15, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 26
"Ack! Having a harder and harder time finging new music!"

I have the answer. Get a subscription to England's Uncut magazine. It is far and away the best music mag on the planet in terms of quality music journalism. It's clear that everyone that writes for the magazine loves music plain and simple, and they don't seem to have any secret agendas. It's not jumping on every trend and it pays respect to older, but still relevant bands/performers.

Best of all you get their 18-track CD of the best songs off the best new albums, and they are almost all universally killer tracks (unlike Magnet or CMJ, which are very spotty). Seek this mag out.

markl

Nov 16, 2001 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 26
Coolvij - will definantly check it out, and it was you that got me interested in Tabla Beat Science a couple months ago, muchos buenos! Yes, when I see some group I have never heard of mentioned I immeadeatly try and get some of the music to try it.

Quote:

More good bands.......Spock's Beard, Enchant, Cairo, James Labrie's Mullmuzzer, Kamelot, Platypus, Translantic.

Heard all of em, Transatlantic's CD sounds like **** but the music isn't bad, a bit too 70sish (Like a stuck in the 70s sound) for me but good, Enchant is probably my favorite out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I like Pink Floyd, LTE was listed and are one of my favorite groups, will try some Flower Kings, Marillion, and Fish tonight (Not Phish I hope, I dun like them)

Quote:

Bozzio Levin Stevens.

Done
smily_headphones1.gif
More refined LTE? I think I might have a favorite new group, then again I like some of their obnoxiousness sometimes.

Croma Key - Yep, good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Nightiwish? What was I thinking? I LOVE them, and talk about them here quite a bit. Just didn't put em in my list, hehehe.

Arena - heard of them but never got a chance to listen. Will do now
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Try Hallucinogen and perhaps Infected Mushroom

Like em all
smily_headphones1.gif

Silverbullit - sounds quite neat, will try, and swedisdh music is good
smily_headphones1.gif

Beta Band - Never heard of them, again will try
biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your reccomendations, and thank you all for not reccomending some complete garbage like Linkin Park. I am surprised noone mentioned Autechre, but that is probably ebcause I didn't list Aphex Twin and Orbital, heh.

My mp3 collection is growing, and after x-mas buying season is over I have scores of CDs to buy
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Rachel Barton - Instrument of the Devil
Jacqueline du Pré plays Dvorák & Saint-Saëns
Natalie Dessay - Mozart Heroines
WAGNER / LOPEZ-COBOS / CINCINNATI SYMPHONY Overtures
WAGNER / MAAZEL / BPO Ring Without Words
Telarc Collection, Vol. 7
Garrick Ohlsson - The Complete Chopin Piano Works Vol. 12 - Songs / Ewa Podles
Beethoven: Cello Sonatas & Variations (Jacqueline du pre)
Apocalyptica - Cult
Alan Moore/Tim Perkins : Highbury Working: Beat Seance (Spoken Word)
Vampyros Lesbos Sexadelic Dance Party CD (Jazz)

Didn't mean to ignore your suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Apocalyptica is good, is Cult a new album?

As far as the rest goes I will try it sans the Wagner, I just don't seem to like his stuff very much, I am not sure why, or perhaps I haven't heard enough (Ride of the Valkaries + some opera)

Edit:

markl - How much does it cost for a subscription? Because of x-mas I don't have much personal spending money planned out for the next month.

Nov 16, 2001 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 26
Autechre are tricky, I have a bad case of "I like their old stuff better than their new stuff" when it comes to them - the latest cd just sounds like 'lets see what this button does' to me
frown.gif

There's some good Indie Oz stuff out there too if you can find it, try some Regurgitator, Spiderbait, Shihad etc - you might find something you like, who knows.

I find it really hard to recommend music because while I like Autechre, I also like John Hiatt
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 26
Well, I own ep7 and I find it a bit too, umm, experimental for me, I couldn't grow to it, so I don't really like them much and hence they aren't on my list, but I have heard some of their less abstract stuff and find it quite good.

I listen to stuff ranging from Loreena Mckennit to Rammstein to Enya to Therion to Miles Davis to Aphex Twin to Hallucinogen, so would you want to take advice from me too?

Well, if someone is looking for some sort of a sound, I can probably reccomend something here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back