ACK!! Batteries leaked in my TA!!
Sep 17, 2002 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I need some urgent advice re) how best to deal with this:

My Total Airhead was humming along, just fine. All of a sudden, I noticed some static in one of the channels. I opened it up, and discovered that one of the batteries had leaked a not unsubstantial amount of battery acid!!

I soaked up (yes, there was a lot) as much as I could with paper towels, but I'm sure that I didn't get it all.

Any advice?

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 11
You stop the acid with baking soda, which will fizz till the acid is gone. Then wipe it down with a damp paper towel, till clean. Thats a bummer! What brand of batteries were they?

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 11
Believe it or not, they were Duracell. I've NEVER had a bit of trouble with them.

So far, it doesn't appear that any permanent damage has been done. Thanks for the tip re) baking soda.

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 11
Sure it's acid?
confused.gif

I thought that was "old-school" electrochemistry.

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 11
90% (or higher) ispropyl alcohol should be good for wiping down the board afterward and will leave a minimal residue. sorry for your bad luck and damn does that sound eery.

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 11
Grinch:

Well.....

Soooooo far....(knock wood!!!) it's fine. I can't believe that it's a good thing to have that stuff sitting in there, though.

Thanks for your help!!

frown.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Does Duracell warranty their batteries against leakage?

Yes, Duracell DOES warranty their batteries against leakage. They will repair or replace stuff damaged by leakage. You send the item to them, tell them how much it costs. If they cannot clean and repair it adequately, they will send you the amount the item costs, plus some battery coupons. I've had this problem twice, and both times they acted quickly.

Check their website for info: www.duracell.com

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 11
Hmm, duracells are alkalines right? So do you use baking soda to neutralize it, or vinegar?
tongue.gif

Nah, if it's alkaline it should be fine just sitting there. :eew:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 11
I just had some Duracell AAA's leak like hell and destroy the battery compartment of my SUNPASS device (electronic road toll).
I did not keep it in the sun.

I had to wire in an external battery pack. I think Duracell leakage is more than a coincidence.

Sep 24, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 11
I've always had bad luck with Duracells. They've leaked on me and a couple times they have reversed their polarity. I like Energizer batteries, I've never had a problem from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back