accurate under $100
Dec 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 83
Heya,

KRK 8400 (or 6400 if you absolutely cannot exceed budget). Both would give you a very accurate and flat response.
The V6 and 7506 would also provide you that as well.
If you can stretch budget, the Fischer Audio FA-003 (or it's rebrand, the Brainwavz HM5).
And on that note of stretching budget, you come to the Shure SRH840.

Very best,

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 83
KRK is a relatively well known audio company, but they are pretty under the radar for their headphones.
Most monitors are closed back, this is correct. Personally, I found my KRK KNS 6400s to be better than the Sony MDR-V6s I've heard. I haven't heard the Shure SRH440s, so I sadly can't compare, but I will say that the KRK KNS 6400s are very clear, especially for headphone in their price bracket. The KRK KNS 8400s are their somewhat more bass-y counterparts with memory foam pads instead of pleather.

Quote:

krk, they are a good company? also all these headphones, including the sony that i posted are closed back :/ id really rather have an open back, but i guess most "monitors" are going to be closed back correct?

also if i were to go the shure route, id have to get the srh440, more in my price bracket

many thanks

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 83
you might look at the Sennheiser 518 - but at your price point, going with a sealed monitor (V6, KRK 6400, Shure 440) will give you more of what it sounds like you are looking for. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 83
Sennheiser's HD280 is a great all-rounder and known for being flat and accurate. A great bang for your buck. I love mine to pieces. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 83
Almost without exceptions, good (and neutral) open back are scarce until you get into higher price points - at which point, the closed backs become scarce. :) But try the AKG 240 - many people really like them. 

There are some other great open cans (ATH-AD700 can be found, and Grado SR-60) at that price - but they are NOT neutral (or all that comfortable, re: the grados). 

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 83
Grado are tuned for a specific sound - which is great. But they are not accurate - so if that truly is one of your criteria, I could not recommend them. I think they are better than the V6, and different than the 240 - UNLESS you are still after accurate - then both are better than the Grado. 

With that said - the SR60 are a fantastic bargain in great sound. If you get them, spend another $20 and get the L-cush pads. Huge difference.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 83
I'd consider the Shure SRH440's...since they are studio headphones, they are very accurate. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 83
I'm going to echo Malveux and recommend the FA-003 rebrand which is the Brainwavz HM5. They are on a presale right now for 119 and will ship I believe in a week or two. They are super neutral and seem right up your alley. I'm thinking of getting a pair myself. Gotta get some cash first though lol

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 83

Quote:
alright with everyone helps ive narrowed it down between the sony mdrv6, grado sr80i, akg k240, senn hd518 and the shure srh440.

since the sony and shure are known to be accurate, i can push them aside and hopefully get more answers about the others. unfortunately, these are both closed back.. and as you know id prefer an open back.

i am looking for an accurate sound. i want to hear how the music was recorded, not the companies sound signature, which makes every song sound non unique, if you know what i mean.

you already said the grado are not accurate/flat. how far off are they/what do the emphasis?

are the akg240 and senn hd518 flat? i ask becuase i would really rather have one of these three open back phones.  if non of these three (grado, akg, senn) are no where near flat, ill get a sony mdrv6 or shure srh440

thanks so much, hope to make a purchase soon

To be direct about it, no headphone is flat.
Every headphone had some sound signature.

But that's OK - so does every concert hall, so does every recording studio, so does every room.
And every microphone.

With that said, though, there are headphone manufacturers who want their products to provide accurate reproduction,
and there are others who want their products to deliver colored reproduction - such as elevated bass, for example.

AKG 240's have been used in studios for a long time, they have a justifiably excellent reputation tending towards accuracy.
They're very good phones.
(Note - AKG has recently moved their production from Austria to China, and I have not heard the new ones.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back