Accidentally Extraordinary - AE 51st Studio Headphone
Dec 20, 2013 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

full dp

Head-Fier
While browsing the net i saw this new interesting product from Accidentally Extraordinary - AE 51st Studio Headphone retails at $ 99.

Product Description

Introducing the 51st Studios headphone by Accidentally Extraordinary. Inspired by wood-appointed recording studios and retro speakers, the 51st Studios headphone by AE opens a new gateway to a richer, deeper listening experience. The sustainably-grown walnut and stainless steel design combines robust sound, natural swagger and eco-sensibility. Robust Sound When have you ever seen a concert violinist play a plastic violin? Exactly. The 51st Studios is engineered to unlock the dynamic wood sound that musicians and audiophiles have long enjoyed. Natural Swagger Every single pair of 51st Studios is as unique as the tree from which they came, and the owner for whom they were purchased. The retro-inspired design combines stainless steel and walnut for a sleek but chic fashion accessory. Eco-sensibility Look good and feel good in our sustainably-grown wood! The 51st Studios headphone is made with sustainably-grown walnut for a crisp sound and a clear conscience. So what does it mean to be accidentally extraordinary? Everything.

1. Sustainably-grown walnut design for a deeper, richer listening experience
  2. Durable, stainless steel headband and joints with laser-etched "AE" logo
  3. Unique and retro chic design with one-of-a-kind wood grain on each pair
  4. Includes detachable flat cable and accessory cable with controller and mic for smartphone use
  5. Comfortable over-ear cushioning for hours of listening with low noise leakage

Tyll's from Innerfidelity review:

Any personal toughts , experience or impressions with these?

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 24
I have no experiences with it, but I have a question. Are all of his reviews like this? I couldn't make it even 2 minutes with his constant "ums" and uhs"

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 24
  I have no experiences with it, but I have a question. Are all of his reviews like this? I couldn't make it even 2 minutes with his constant "ums" and uhs"

That was a little longer than I remember his reviews' being. Most are about 5:30. I didn't notice any pauses, but I'm used to his reviews. Maybe if it had been a more interesting product, you might not have noticed so much. But he likes to find and review "good for the price" cheap models too. If you don't like the video, he also does a full write up. (Usually, I do it the other way: read the full write up if liked the video.)

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 24

Um...ahh...sorry. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 24

Um...ahh...sorry. 

I meant no disrespect :)

It's just to me the review felt a bit disjointed, though I went back and watched the rest of it and it got much better. Keep doing those reviews.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 24
Cool looking set of cans. Love the Retro look. Even cooler considering it is real wood. DIY aspect is tempting. Heck, swap out the drivers for some ATH ones and you might have some thing very interesting. Some careful internal wood work and you know you could make the new drivers fit.Find some old real leather for the pads. Might end up with something that would run you north of $500 to buy for $160ish. (plus your the only kid on the block with one like it). 

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 24
Not too shabby sounding considering how much they cost. Build is really good as well. Sound is bass led with a rolled off treble but good for mobile use imo.

I liked Tyll's review. Thanks Tyll.

http://www.diyah.boards.net/thread/503/accidentally-extraordinary-51st-studio-headphone

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 24
This seems to be a slight variation of an OEM headphone made by ESMOOTH:
http://www.woodheadphones.com/product/es-665wn

I've seen many other "brands" do this, taking an ESMOOTH product, placing their badge on them, changing their appearance a little bit, and so on- Meze, Griffin Technology, Audiolux WDX...

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 24
Looks like them alright!!

Does that company also sell them? No prices although it was nice to see some specs. (Although they may be 'overstated').

I have a pair of these headphones and I quite like them. I was hoping Tyll would have put up some measurements for them actually just to see exactly what they are doing. I've been comparing them to CAL2's which are also very nice. Both humped in the bass like a camel but the CAL2 seems to go a lot lower in the bass.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 24
Great headphones for the price I must say.  These are a real gem for $99. 

I did a video review on them too:

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 24
Heyya! just saw these headphones online~ they look amazing.

I was wondering where abouts we could buy drivers to make these better? I have looked on ebay but could not find the words to look up.. headphone drivers just brings up loads of headphones.

Is there a website? It would be pretty cool to get beats audio driver for these headphones or seinheiser or somthing. I will try them out default first though.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 24
Decided to give these a try when I saw them on sale on Thursday, pleading guilty to the looks of the headphone, altho I did watch Tyll's review first and thought they had promised based off what he had to say.  For alt/indie music with somewhat of a bass emphasis, like The Neighborhood or CHVRCHES, its a very fun sounding headphone.  I'm not using any source material of high quality currently, so I don't know how much improvement I'd see from some real gear.  I'm hoping to remedy that sometime in the near future.  The 2 cables are nice, although I am a bit disappointed that the cable without the mic isn't particularly long whatsoever.  At least it uses a standard connection, so it was easy enough to grab my spare v-moda cable and use that for a longer cord.  The only side marking I found was on the non-mic cable.  Other than that, I cannot think of any criticisms/remarks currently.  All in all, while very much not intended for audiophile listeners, it feels as if it'd have a lot of value for those looking for a fun, stylish headphone and might be looking for alternatives to something like the Skullcandy Aviator.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 24
forgot to say after my original post, Bought these...
Best headphones ever!

amazing quality and clarity. These put my bose to shame and blew my friends new studio beats audio~ not in bass but overall sound quality.

If you have these headphones please use this link here ~ http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php to try them out and please scroll down to Binaural Test and click play...

You will be amazed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back