Accidentally Dipped Westone 4r in water.
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

djkinetic

New Head-Fier
So I accidentally dipped the right side of my Westone 4r's in a cup of water at work  =/

I pulled them out dried the outside and sucked out watever moisture was in the nozzle, Tested it, they sort of work, there is sound coming form the channel how ever the volume is significantly softer than the left channel...They werent powered or being used during the time they were in water...although they were plugged into my laptop...Question is if I let the right channel dry in a bag of rice for a day or two, what do you guys think the chances are that the drivers actually come back to life and start functioning properly..I would hate to have to shell out 300-400 dollars on another pair of IEMs when I just got these in February. Thanks.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 7
  So I accidentally dipped the right side of my Westone 4r's in a cup of water at work  =/

I pulled them out dried the outside and sucked out watever moisture was in the nozzle, Tested it, they sort of work, there is sound coming form the channel how ever the volume is significantly softer than the left channel...They werent powered or being used during the time they were in water...although they were plugged into my laptop...Question is if I let the right channel dry in a bag of rice for a day or two, what do you guys think the chances are that the drivers actually come back to life and start functioning properly..I would hate to have to shell out 300-400 dollars on another pair of IEMs when I just got these in February. Thanks.

You've got nothing to lose, so you might as well give it a go.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 7
If was just water, and there wasn't any electrical current flowing at the time of drop, you may be fine.  The rice method may take a bit longer to dry out the internal components (1-2 weeks).  I would use a hearing aid desiccant, or gather a bunch of those desiccant packages typically packaged with household electronics and such, throw them all in a heavy duty zip lock bag or jar and leave it for a few days.

Good luck.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 7
So I just got home, and after about an hr in the bag of rice, the driver came back to life, gonna leave it in the bag for another couple days with a couple dessicants added just for good measure, but initial signs are looking good =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back