Ac receptacles, I thought you were too smart for that
Apr 12, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #16 of 18
grano: Do you have an oscilloscope and an appropriate probe at hand? Then you could take a look at your power on the outlet (maybe several times a day): If you can already visibly detect distortions in the sine curve, that would seem a good reason for me to experiment a little with filtering/regeneration... But even without measurement equipment at hand, I'd also consider some experimenting on the power side, if the system would seem noisier during daytime than in the evening and during the night.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon Jon;

I'm afraid I'm relatively new to Head-Fi... why should a revealing speaker system (and I spent a bunch of money on mine) yield bigger differences than headphones? Driver problems? Curious.

Bazile

This is not a good or bad thing necessarily, nor does it mean speakers are "better" than headphones.

My guess is that speaker's interactions with the room tends to amplify whatever differences that exist, both good and bad. Also, by their nature, speakers can give you more cues in the width, depth, and especially height information of the soundstage, letting you "see" the difference as well as hear it more than headphones.

Good speakers also tend to give you a more dense, solid, sculpted 3-D rendition of the solo voice or instruments smack in the middle of the room. Any disturbances in phase, frequency response, acoustic cancellations, etc tends to destory these illusions more easily, which makes you notice differences between gear more easily IMO.

Or, maybe not having some round things strapped to your head helps the analytical side of your brain to relax more. Who knows..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back