Ac receptacles, I thought you were too smart for that
Apr 12, 2007 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi.
I've always had good power, I live in a rather new building and have never heard the hum and sizzle associated with bad power that my fellow Berkeley-head-fiers have heard. Yet, i've heard from several people out there that before i dive into that whole power cord thing, that i should look into getting a high grade Ac receptacle. should i?

now, i try to convince myself that i'm too smart to be wasting my money. yet, i don't know if i don't try... my UR8 did make an improvement over my Monster cables, my new silver digital cable did get more 0s and 1s through than my Harmonic tech, and i have to admit, that my cheap volex cables did improve the sound of my dac (just a bit in the midrange). So i'm not against this stuff, but i sure am skeptacle.

so convince me... please, no flames, i want real experience... thanks.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just use a balanced setup to minimize dirty power woes.

balanced power is quite expensive. I think they start at around 2-3K for small number of outlets, and I bet most are current restrictive, something to think about if you are powering big amps.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 18
i tried the oyaide gold receptacle on amp and dac -> no diff

some ppl say i need to use the plug + the receptacle

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 18
You could always try a inexpensive hospital grade receptacle for $10-15 from your local hardware store or online seller and see if it makes an improvement. I switched mine and although I'm not sure if I heard any solid improvement, it definately seems to hold the cords more securely which I feel is worth the small cost... $150 for a cryo'd one though I couldn't say.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 18
You're a fellow Channel Islands user, try their XDC-2 filter and let us know how it works out. Convince you?...I'm sure you know Dusty's reputation as a big "bang for the buck" vendor. I can't imagine him selling a product there is no real need for. I guess I'll need to join team Channel Islands. So how do you change signatures, and what are volex cables?
Bazile

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 18
I don't have actual power issues... i know buildings that do, and for them, i'm sure a good power filter like the CI audio thing would be good. however, i'm wondering.. assuming that my power in my building is very good... do i still need this stuff? beyond protection from radio waves and interference, what else do cables offer? can power delivery be improved with an ac receptacle?

because i divert my other stuff elsewhere, my amp and dac have their own power outlets... meaning no power strips or boxes getting in the way.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 18
I didn't find the price/performance to be that great with replacing my wall recepticle. I would recommend getting a high amp rated isolation transformer instead.

Biggie.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 18
Definitely get an isolation transformer. A receptacle isn't going to improve your noise at all.

Go for a Tripp-Lite isolation transformer, and you are set for life. You can get one for about $150. It is a great deal since it isn't one of those "hey I'm a hi-fi component so I can charge $500 for a freaking coil and a pretty box" deals. It's the real thing that some actual professionals use.

Especially as a college student, you shouldn't be wasting your money on receptacles and the like.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of noise are you guys talking about?

I havn't heard it at my place, but in some older apartments, if i hook an amplifier i would get a little humming thing going on in the background. i've also heard it as a "sizzle or zzzisissis" sound. this isnt' the problem on mine, i've had another hum/distortion issue with a bad power supply before (at my parent's house) so it can happen. but my current place exhibits no audible power issues.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely get an isolation transformer. A receptacle isn't going to improve your noise at all.

Go for a Tripp-Lite isolation transformer, and you are set for life. You can get one for about $150. It is a great deal since it isn't one of those "hey I'm a hi-fi component so I can charge $500 for a freaking coil and a pretty box" deals. It's the real thing that some actual professionals use.

Especially as a college student, you shouldn't be wasting your money on receptacles and the like.

Tripp-Lite sucks compare even to monster power HTS1000, let alone any one the PS Audio stuff. I tried them all, PS Audio was by far the better buy, and yes it is not cheap.

I use Tripp-Lite for my PC and that's about it
wink.gif

oh..and go blue
orphsmile.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havn't heard it at my place, but in some older apartments, if i hook an amplifier i would get a little humming thing going on in the background. i've also heard it as a "sizzle or zzzisissis" sound. this isnt' the problem on mine, i've had another hum/distortion issue with a bad power supply before (at my parent's house) so it can happen. but my current place exhibits no audible power issues.

If it's a low frequency hum (which is very common), then getting a balanced amplifier would solve the problem. I had 4mV of hum in my system which became completely gone when I got balanced amps.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 18
I've tried ACME (modded Pass & Seymour) outlets, various Hubbels (cryo, non-cryo), Levitons, even Oyaide Palladium outlets.

Once again, you're going to hear much bigger differences in a revealing speaker system than headphone systems. However, in my speaker system, the differences in sound were as profound as rolling tubes, if not greater. Whether one is "better" than the other, however, is quite another matter, just like how people argue forever about how one tube is "better" than another, etc.

As a VERY rough general rule of thumb:

Pass and Seymour's tend to be a bit sparklier/brighter, less "full" sounding.

Nickel-plated outlets tend to be a bit brighter, so will silver-plated ones.

Hubbels tend to have fuller bass. Some a bit darker than neutral, but the best of'em sound nice, rich, and smooth. Look for the Phosphor-bronze Hubbels.

Gold-plated ones tend to be smoother and warmer compared to other plating.

Oyaide palladium. I would only recommend this if your have a very bassy, overly-warm and hazy system.

Frankly, most of these boutique outlets tend to have a lot of colorations, and finding the ones with colorations that complement your system's existing colorations can be time-consuming and expensive. When in doubt, leave your wall outlets alone...

P.S. those cheap white $1 Levitons outlets at Home Depot are pretty decent-sounding, committing sins of omission rather than commision like many expensive outlets.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again, you're going to hear much bigger differences in a revealing speaker system than headphone systems.

Pardon Jon;

I'm afraid I'm relatively new to Head-Fi... why should a revealing speaker system (and I spent a bunch of money on mine) yield bigger differences than headphones? Driver problems? Curious.

Bazile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back