AC Power CABLE - C13/C14 Y-splitter cable
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

neyurt

New Head-Fier
Hello, can't seem to find a decent topic on this, but is it safe to use

C13/14 for devices that use standard power cable?
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/IEC-C14-C13-Splitter-Cord/dp/B07W7CPZS3?th=1

The reason I'm asking is, I have a good amount of devices that goes together, DAC/AMP stack, preamp-Amp stack. These typically all use standard power cable. It'd be nice if I can use the y-splitter to group them and have less cable going to the outlet etcs.

Any downside to using split AC? like them sharing could be an issue for cross talk?

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 7
I have one of those in my computer system and it works perfectly fine. It isn't fused like a power strip, but I have a battery backup that serves that purpose. If you had a fused power strip downstream, it would take care of lightning strikes to your power if that is something that happens where you live.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 7
I have one of those in my computer system and it works perfectly fine. It isn't fused like a power strip, but I have a battery backup that serves that purpose. If you had a fused power strip downstream, it would take care of lightning strikes to your power if that is something that happens where you live.

A fused power strip (or any type of power strip) will not protect anything from an actual lightning strike. They aren’t rated for anything close to that level of electrical surge and won’t be able to clamp the transient. The only thing a normal homeowner can or should do to prevent damage from a lightning strike is proper grounding at the exterior.

You really shouldn’t post definitively in Sound Science on topics you don’t understand the basics of. Your advice here could be very expensive if someone actually took it.

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Hello, can't seem to find a decent topic on this, but is it safe to use

C13/14 for devices that use standard power cable?
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/IEC-C14-C13-Splitter-Cord/dp/B07W7CPZS3?th=1

The reason I'm asking is, I have a good amount of devices that goes together, DAC/AMP stack, preamp-Amp stack. These typically all use standard power cable. It'd be nice if I can use the y-splitter to group them and have less cable going to the outlet etcs.

Any downside to using split AC? like them sharing could be an issue for cross talk?
I'd say it's a power strip in another form. The same outlet feeds several devices thanks to it and independent wiring goes to each device. So long as they're rated for the power of those devices, isn't it the same thing?

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Then use that splitter by all means and ground your house if you plan to be struck by lightning!

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 7
I would still recommend fuses and surge protectors for indirect hits though. And you can unplug your TV and comp during a storm. My parents used to do all these things. I imagine their house was grounded too, but they never mentioned that. That was probably done when the house was built.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 7
I have heard that in my area, if you want certain kinds of things done with your property, such as adding a backup generator, you need a whole-house surge protector in order to have the work approved.

Question (I honestly don’t know): How much protection does a whole-house surge protector give you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back