Abyss TC, SR1A,Susvara...is any other TOTL headphone worth buying?
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2022 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
I have owned most every TOTL offering other than the stats and always come back to my holy trinity.....I know others will disagree lol

May 17, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 26
That's actually a pretty good Top 3, in my opinion. I like the variation due to the different sound signatures that each emits. I'm at the point where I want to limit my TOTL headphones to specific sound signatures, and though this headphone isn't anywhere near the cost of the others, you may want to consider the Sony MDR-Z1R. It adds a dynamic driver to your collection and has a very unique sound signature. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's different. Another dynamic driver headphone to consider is the Focal Utopia or ZMF TOTL headphones.

Also, though you have the Susvara, the HE1000SE has different of enough sound signature, in my opinion, to consider it as an option. It is a little more in your face than the Susvara with a narrower soundstage, technical highs, quick response, and slightly tighter bass. I haven't heard the Susvara in a good while, so my memory may be failing me. Then again, you've probably heard everything I've listed, given your collection.

May 18, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 26
For chasing resolution reference, nope.

Concede for additional warmth, bloom and passivity, sure.

I would generally recommend electrostats as they provide a unique insight, however, the SR1a trumps it. I'd briskly mention the Valkyria for a feather in the reference but understand it's unconditionally overpriced.

I would instead encourage you to exploit the SR1a further surpassing the HSA, uberamp is still the best direct drive option, although additional tube amplification opens up more interesting avenues. Everyone should invest in a tube pre solely for use with headphones.

I say you've checked all the box.

May 18, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 26
ZMF Atrium. Really unique sound, simply marvelous cans.

May 18, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 26
VZR Model One & it’s CrossWave acoustic lens have redefined TOTL headphone sound for me.

These things are truly an acoustics marvel with flawless engineering execution.

If you are in the US, you can get them on Amazon with their 30 day return period. I’m confident that you won’t be sending them back.

Basically they set out to make headphones sound more like reference speakers and nailed it.

Warning: Your GAS may come to an end.

May 18, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 26
VZR Model One & it’s CrossWave acoustic lens have redefined TOTL headphone sound for me.

These things are truly an acoustics marvel with flawless engineering execution.

If you are in the US, you can get them on Amazon with their 30 day return period. I’m confident that you won’t be sending them back.

Basically they set out to make headphones sound more like reference speakers and nailed it.

Warning: Your GAS may come to an end.
I'm confused. the VZR Model One is an entry level gaming headphone.

The OP is asking for a TOTL headphone to compliment what he already has.

In my opinion @jlbrach has found the end game. If I was him I'd be adding a VC or Atrium to that collection for something totally different to what he has.

May 18, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 26
I'm confused. the VZR Model One is an entry level gaming headphone.

The OP is asking for a TOTL headphone to compliment what he already has.

In my opinion @jlbrach has found the end game. If I was him I'd be adding a VC or Atrium to that collection for something totally different to what he has.
I know, it’s weird.

Basically I have a weird super power in my day job where I recruit luminaries for tech companies. I’m very researchy with “a particular set of skills”

The VZR caught my attention because of 2 things: the founders pedigree as a luminary engineer and that the Crosswave thing looks kind of like the Dan Clark AMTS or Sennheiser W3C

So I figured I’d check it out with Amazon’s return policy. I did not at all expect them to deliver among the best TOTL sound I’ve ever heard but here we are.

The marketing is not just gamers, it’s studio pros and critical listening. It sounds like a bunch of malarkey that a single headphone could be perhaps the single best option in each of the 3 categories but now that I have them, I agree with their marketing that these might be the last headphones that you ever need.

I legit cannot believe what I hear from them every time I put them on my head.

When I listen to other TOTL like the Utopia or LCD4, I love them but they each have something about them that’s not quite perfect.

The VZR has nothing about it’s tuning or sound that’s not quite perfect, in comparison.

It’s worth taking a flyer on if you’re in the US with Amazon return policy. More audiophiles need to hear these and get the word out.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 26
... well TOTL electrostats :)

May 18, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 26
For chasing resolution reference, nope.

Concede for additional warmth, bloom and passivity, sure.

I would generally recommend electrostats as they provide a unique insight, however, the SR1a trumps it. I'd briskly mention the Valkyria for a feather in the reference but understand it's unconditionally overpriced.

I would instead encourage you to exploit the SR1a further surpassing the HSA, uberamp is still the best direct drive option, although additional tube amplification opens up more interesting avenues. Everyone should invest in a tube pre solely for use with headphones.

I say you've checked all the box.
I have heard you speak of the valkyria and if it wasnt so crazy expensive I would give it a go....oh well..if I didnt own the sr1a I imagine I would be in on stats...truth is I think used prices of the sr1a are the biggest bargain in this crazy hobby...a short time ago I got an email from raal offering the sr1a for 1700 dollars..add the new Tl box and use it with your HP amp and you have the bargain of the TOTL world of headphones

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 26
I owned it briefly...I actually enjoyed it but it isnt in the class of the other 3

May 19, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 26
I know, it’s weird.

Basically I have a weird super power in my day job where I recruit luminaries for tech companies. I’m very researchy with “a particular set of skills”

The VZR caught my attention because of 2 things: the founders pedigree as a luminary engineer and that the Crosswave thing looks kind of like the Dan Clark AMTS or Sennheiser W3C

So I figured I’d check it out with Amazon’s return policy. I did not at all expect them to deliver among the best TOTL sound I’ve ever heard but here we are.

The marketing is not just gamers, it’s studio pros and critical listening. It sounds like a bunch of malarkey that a single headphone could be perhaps the single best option in each of the 3 categories but now that I have them, I agree with their marketing that these might be the last headphones that you ever need.

I legit cannot believe what I hear from them every time I put them on my head.

When I listen to other TOTL like the Utopia or LCD4, I love them but they each have something about them that’s not quite perfect.

The VZR has nothing about it’s tuning or sound that’s not quite perfect, in comparison.

It’s worth taking a flyer on if you’re in the US with Amazon return policy. More audiophiles need to hear these and get the word out.
Well, you convinced me to try them out and they arrived today. Initial impressions are actually pretty good. They have a solid build, the pads are lush and comfortable, and the sound is very impressive for the price point. These headphones do an excellent job in representation of male and female vocals. In fact, some of the best I've heard with any set of headphones. You can definitely hear the clarity there too. The bass is present, impactful, and digs deep, but is clean and doesn't interfere with the other ranges. The only con is the highs are a bit rolled off in comparison to most TOTL headphones, but it's not a bad thing, though. Highs are still present and doesn't detract from the quality of the music you're listening to. These headphones do provide an enjoyable listening experience overall and definitely bats well above it's asking price. I'll check out the gaming and movie side of things later, but this is a solid recommendation for music listening so far. I can't call them TOTL, but definitely worth having in your collection. Thanks for the recommendation.

May 20, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 26
Well, you convinced me to try them out and they arrived today. Initial impressions are actually pretty good. They have a solid build, the pads are lush and comfortable, and the sound is very impressive for the price point. These headphones do an excellent job in representation of male and female vocals. In fact, some of the best I've heard with any set of headphones. You can definitely hear the clarity there too. The bass is present, impactful, and digs deep, but is clean and doesn't interfere with the other ranges. The only con is the highs are a bit rolled off in comparison to most TOTL headphones, but it's not a bad thing, though. Highs are still present and doesn't detract from the quality of the music you're listening to. These headphones do provide an enjoyable listening experience overall and definitely bats well above it's asking price. I'll check out the gaming and movie side of things later, but this is a solid recommendation for music listening so far. I can't call them TOTL, but definitely worth having in your collection. Thanks for the recommendation.
I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying your set! Give them ~20 hours for the pads to break in. Double check your pad alignment so that the thick end with the seam is aligned pointing backwards away from your face to ensure you get the right/best seal. Around the back joint screw is a good alignment point for the seam. Also, turn off the inline mic when not in use.

The way they image is so unique it’ll take you a few days to kind of click into what they’re doing. Imagine listening for a sphere of sound in 3 dimensions instead of planes of sound in 2 dimensions and you’ll get it pretty fast.

I personally think the treble is incredible. Outside of the Utopia, it’s the only set of cans that rendered cymbals in a physical way to me. Unlike the Utopia, the timbre is spot on and perfectly integrated with the mids and bass.

In terms of absolute transient tracking, these things probably compete with the tier just below the Utopia. $1-3k tier-ish is my read. Would love your thoughts once you get more time and they’re broken in.

On balance, the spatial rendering that’s closer to speakers tips the scales into TOTL comparison territory. Very apples/oranges that’s probably further apart than dynamic vs ortho, IMHO.

Layering in the marvelous tuning, build, features and price… these are at the very least a heck of a bargain.

To me, there’s no “yeah but” in them. That’s what makes it so special.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 26
I own a lot of headphones. Other than very specific situations, nothing has topped the TC/Susvara/SR1a. I’m still getting into estats though, with my Shangri-La Sr coming next week and my Stax X9000 coming sometime this year (I ordered it last November :deadhorse:). CRBN isn’t moving the needle

May 20, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #15 of 26
Perhaps a Kennerton Rögnir in the TOTL closed back category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back