Abyss Diana IMPRESSIONS Thread.
May 6, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #91 of 102
Diana Phi has greater subtle detail retrieval and larger out of your head soundstage relative to V2, with Phi offering more air and spacial information which easily scales with top shelf electronics. Both offer excellent tonality and frequency extension top to bottom with the low frequency capabilities typical of ABYSS.

Are there any plans to make a version with the TC drivers?

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #92 of 102
Any comments on sound leakage compared to the 1266? I owned the 1266 phi CC and it seriously rocked except it leaked so much sound my family complained. Maybe I like my music loud but I'm willing to try the Diana Phi.

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #93 of 102
Any comments on sound leakage compared to the 1266? I owned the 1266 phi CC and it seriously rocked except it leaked so much sound my family complained. Maybe I like my music loud but I'm willing to try the Diana Phi.
I mean.......these are open headphones. Maybe look into ZMF verite closed

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #94 of 102
I have the Diana Phi and they are really quite impressive. I bought them mainly for portable use but was pleased to find that they are equally, if not actually much more so, at home with higher grade kit. Don’t be put off by comments that they are too hard to drive because you can definitely use these as portables but they are possibly overkill if that will be their only application. Here’s how I’ve been using mine:

AK240 - a good fun and very pocketable portable solution.
AK380 - a nice step up from 240 with the difference between the two revealed very easily by the Phi. The gap was previously much smaller with lesser phones and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better 380 was with Phi
AK380 plus 380 amp - better still. Not as pocketable, but the sound quality is generally worth the weight
MojoPoly - I only use this for listening to video on my iPad or radio via Roon, but it works just fine
Hugo2Go - this combo does sound good. Bettered by the Utopia imo, but I personally feel that Utopia and Hugo2Go are an ideal pairIng
BluDave - amazing clarity, depth and detail. Still prefer Utopia, but it is marginal and, to a degree, a matter of taste
Manley Absolute - really good. They edge out the Utopia in this scenario and trail only my Susvara and not by as much as you might think

To summarise, the fact that they can make a very entertaining mobile solution - small, lightweight and easy to wear without looking like a Cyberman (see below) - and yet tangle with Utopia and even Susvara with the right equipment does make them a very versatile pair of phones indeed. If they were a bit more sensitive for wider mobile choice, they would be a no brainer, bar the price of course.

C8C6A891-3500-4BC5-BDC0-C1FD39870D5E.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #95 of 102
I have the Diana Phi and they are really quite impressive. I bought them mainly for portable use but was pleased to find that they are equally, if not actually much more so, at home with higher grade kit. Don’t be put off by comments that they are too hard to drive because you can definitely use these as portables but they are possibly overkill if that will be their only application. Here’s how I’ve been using mine:

AK240 - a good fun and very pocketable portable solution.
AK380 - a nice step up from 240 with the difference between the two revealed very easily by the Phi. The gap was previously much smaller with lesser phones and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better 380 was
AK380 plus 380 amp - better still. Not as pocketable, but the sound quality is generally worth the weight
MojoPoly - I only use this for listening to video on my iPad or radio via Roon, but it works just fine
Hugo2Go - this combo does sound good. Bettered by the Utopia imo, but I personally feel that Utopia and Hugo2Go are an ideal pairIng
BluDave - amazing clarity, depth and detail. Still prefer Utopia, but it is marginal and, to a degree, a matter of taste
Manley Absolute - really good. They edge out the Utopia in this scenario and trail only my Susvara and not by as much as you might think

To summarise, the fact that they can make a very entertaining mobile solution - small, lightweight and easy to wear without looking like a Cyberman (see below) - and yet tangle with Utopia and even Susvara with the right equipment does make them a very versatile pair of phones indeed. If they were a bit more sensitive for wider mobile choice, they would be a no brainer, bar the price of course.

C8C6A891-3500-4BC5-BDC0-C1FD39870D5E.jpeg
That's the beauty of the Diana. The fact you are getting near TOTL performance in the most compact and portable package. I think Diana is the only headphone in this category.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #96 of 102
I got yesterday the Diana Phi... and felt just in love.
These are amazing headphones, I cant take them off. I am 31 and my listening is still very good - I thought, why bothering buying... when I am old, I cant hear the half of what I can hear nowadays.
And we can age together :)

I also got an exclusive DMS mod kit. Together I paid 2800€, 2 month old (Retail price 4400 + 250 / 300 € (tax included)

I am using them just at home on my PC - on an ASUS STX ii with Burson V5i OpAmps - sounds really amazing.

Before the Diana Phi I had a Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, but this typical Beyer Peak (too high brights) is hurting my ears.
From DT 1770 Pro to Diana Phi, I would do it everyday.

Sadly my noble quest has ended, the Diana Phi are my first and last high-end Headphones. Only for multiplayer gaming purpose I will buy another.

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #97 of 102
I got yesterday the Diana Phi... and felt just in love.
These are amazing headphones, I cant take them off. I am 31 and my listening is still very good - I thought, why bothering buying... when I am old, I cant hear the half of what I can hear nowadays.
And we can age together :)

I also got an exclusive DMS mod kit. Together I paid 2800€, 2 month old (Retail price 4400 + 250 / 300 € (tax included)

I am using them just at home on my PC - on an ASUS STX ii with Burson V5i OpAmps - sounds really amazing.

Before the Diana Phi I had a Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, but this typical Beyer Peak (too high brights) is hurting my ears.
From DT 1770 Pro to Diana Phi, I would do it everyday.

Sadly my noble quest has ended, the Diana Phi are my first and last high-end Headphones. Only for multiplayer gaming purpose I will buy another.
Good write up, been looking into buying either the Phi or V2 as they both sound up my alley, as I would be upgrading from the Hifiman Arya's. The Arya's are a little bright for me and I tend to like neutral to warm sound so I know the V2 is up my alley. But I hear the Phi isn't sibilant and has amazing clarity. Choices choices.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #98 of 102
Good write up, been looking into buying either the Phi or V2 as they both sound up my alley, as I would be upgrading from the Hifiman Arya's. The Arya's are a little bright for me and I tend to like neutral to warm sound so I know the V2 is up my alley. But I hear the Phi isn't sibilant and has amazing clarity. Choices choices.

I read so much about the V2 and Phi... I guess, if you have the best DAC+Amp the Phi can be unforgiving... But with an STX ii with v5i Op-Amps it honestly forgives very much, really.
I can enjoy almost every track (Micheal Jackson, 80s, 90s, early 2000 + Rammstein - it sounds really amazing... I am not able to take them off ^-^ still hearing music for almost 12 hours.

Abyss and Reviewers are saying the Phi need better DAC+Amp for best experience because the Phi is more hungry - I noticed following:
The Phi is a 32 ohm impedance headphone, the DT 1770 is 250 ohm impedance headphone. With normal gain for for 32 ohm headphones the Phi is not loud enough... I have to use High Gain for 300 ohm headphones + a little more Volume in Windows to be loud as the DT 1770 Pro.

Worth of consideration, do want to use them at Home only? Or as portable headphone?
Home use only -> Phi
Home and portable -> V2

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #99 of 102
I read so much about the V2 and Phi... I guess, if you have the best DAC+Amp the Phi can be unforgiving... But with an STX ii with v5i Op-Amps it honestly forgives very much, really.
I can enjoy almost every track (Micheal Jackson, 80s, 90s, early 2000 + Rammstein - it sounds really amazing... I am not able to take them off ^-^ still hearing music for almost 12 hours.

Abyss and Reviewers are saying the Phi need better DAC+Amp for best experience because the Phi is more hungry - I noticed following:
The Phi is a 32 ohm impedance headphone, the DT 1770 is 250 ohm impedance headphone. With normal gain for for 32 ohm headphones the Phi is not loud enough... I have to use High Gain for 300 ohm headphones + a little more Volume in Windows to be loud as the DT 1770 Pro.

Worth of consideration, do want to use them at Home only? Or as portable headphone?
Home use only -> Phi
Home and portable -> V2
Yeah, I am going to use them at home only with the Bifrost 2 Dac and the HPA-1 Amp. Sounds like Phi might be the move.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #100 of 102
Diana Phi and Diana V2 have almost identical power requirement (With V2 has 10 ohm higher impedance). It really depends on your amp system to decide which headphone is easier/harder to drive, but generally, they almost the same.

I can imagine for most solid state amplification out there, which generally produce more power at lower impedance, V2 actually (super) slight harder to drive than Phi. Again, 10 ohm difference is rather insignificant.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #101 of 102
Well after a few weeks with the Diana Phi w/Superconductor cable (4.4mm)...

OOF.

They just sound great. Similar to my old 1266 Phi CC but easier to move around and listen while lying down on my bed - lol.

Can't comment on the Superconductor cable sound yet as they need to be broken in more. My initial comment on the physical cable is that I wish Abyss tied the two cables together instead of allowing the L and R cables to be separate all the way to the 4.4mm connector.

These definitely beat out my Audeze LCD-XC and AK T1p in terms of detail and overall balance. The only downside is that my head shape is not quite conforming to the wide headband. I've stuck two Dekoni mini pads but I think I need to bend the headband a bit.

Using an XI Audio Broadway HPA - Topping DX7 Pro - Metrum Ambre - Mac Mini Roon Core. For a relatively compact system, this is hard to beat...

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #102 of 102
I ordered a RME ADI-2 PRO FS R for my Diana Phi... Is there an advantage to use balanced mode? Better sound or only more power?
I heared when the headphone has no ground for each speaker, is senseless to use?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back