Abyss 1266 or LCD 4 or Utopia
Jul 29, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 41
The LCD-4 may measure a bit lower in the treble region, but in some pretty punchy songs it very much is ready for the occasion.
It is no slouch, but still nowhere near the top of my list these days.

Yeah, it's not a "slow" laid back headphone like say the HD 650. When I said most laid back of the three, emphasis was on "of the three." The LCD-4's focus is very much on the mids and bottom end. It doesn't have the most extended treble ever, I heard it go up to 18 KHz or 19 KHz in a sweep test (I forget which). But it is definitely the least revealing of the three by very clear margins.

And you made a good point about the Abyss. Fit plays a huge role, so feel free to mark my impressions of it with an asterisk since I never owned one so didn't test it out while fitting it differently. The Phi is also much better than the original from what I gather... kinda crazy how the original was a $5,000+ planar with sub-bass rolloff like a dynamic headphone. And I believe the only difference with the CC vs the Phi is pads which you can get separately.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #17 of 41
The LCD-4 may measure a bit lower in the treble region, but in some pretty punchy songs it very much is ready for the occasion.
It is no slouch, but still nowhere near the top of my list these days.
The
LCD-4 are one one of the best headphones out there.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #18 of 41
Yeah, it's not a "slow" laid back headphone like say the HD 650. When I said most laid back of the three, emphasis was on "of the three." The LCD-4's focus is very much on the mids and bottom end. It doesn't have the most extended treble ever, I heard it go up to 18 KHz or 19 KHz in a sweep test (I forget which). But it is definitely the least revealing of the three by very clear margins.

And you made a good point about the Abyss. Fit plays a huge role, so feel free to mark my impressions of it with an asterisk since I never owned one so didn't test it out while fitting it differently. The Phi is also much better than the original from what I gather... kinda crazy how the original was a $5,000+ planar with sub-bass rolloff like a dynamic headphone. And I believe the only difference with the CC vs the Phi is pads which you can get separately.

I would have to agree with you on the LCD-4. I would pick the Utopia or Abyss any day of the week over the LCD-4.
It's an excellent headphone, but not the best out there. Audeze lost their touch for me awhile back.

The
LCD-4 are one one of the best headphones out there.

To each their own. For me, Audeze has lost their touch. I would take Hifiman, Focal and JPS Labs any day of the week over an Audeze.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 41
I would have to agree with you on the LCD-4. I would pick the Utopia or Abyss any day of the week over the LCD-4.
It's an excellent headphone, but not the best out there. Audeze lost their touch for me awhile back.

To each their own. For me, Audeze has lost their touch. I would take Hifiman, Focal and JPS Labs any day of the week over an Audeze.
Wht is this about?

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 41
giphy.gif

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 41
Jul 29, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 41
I’m going to stop.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #23 of 41
This popcorn picture was pretty much what I thought too ... no blame on buke though.

On a more serious note to the OP:

If you own these 3 headphones, what's exactly the point of asking others which one you should keep?

At this point you should know well enough, that in this price range its mostly just about
1) personal preference of sound signature,
2) synergy with your other hardware and
3) music preference.

Sorry to say but it seems you must be either not trusting your own judgement or not knowing what you actually want/like ... or just posting for the sake of bragging ...
In any case we can't help you really ...

Cheers and good luck on your headphone journey :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #24 of 41
Hi HBen,

I want to hear other opinions. I bought all three of them recently and have not heared them extensinly. I am not bragging, cause then I would keep them all and add an 009.
I can only afford to keep one.
And yes maybe I dont trust my own opinion. As a good wine it depends on the glas, your mood, etc.
I know many own several headphones for different Music, but I want one for all kinds of Music

As we all could read...there are many opinions out there.

Thanks to all and I will let you know my own hopfully soon.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 41
If you just want opinions here's mine: I heard those 3 recently and fell in love with the Abyss Phi-CC, I wish I could afford to take it home. I d still keep my 800S though ...

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 41
I have enjoyed the HD800 for many years now, but decided it was time to try something new. Since I wanted to make a big step I was looking at TOTL headphones and narrowed it down to exactly these three. I had listened to STAX but they didn’t do it for me, just seemed to be a variation of the HD800 - I really enjoy the detail from these types of headphones, but their presentation is rather clinical. And frankly I was getting tired of rationalizing their recessed bass. So I wanted to see if I could find something that was more “fun” while retaining the qualities of the HD800, and better bass without exaggeration or bloat.

I screened them using a Questyle golden Stack. I compared to my current HD800/HDVD800 (they had the HD800 in the store, and I brought in my own amp). I basically occupied the store for an afternoon, going back and forth on a series of tracks I know well.

Firstly all where pretty amazing.They were a step up from the HD800, moving in the direction I wanted. My comments below are comparative, on an objective basis all are great cans!

I fairly rapidly eliminated the LCD4. A little too dark, bass was a little flabby compared to the Utopia or Abyss. It also gave up too much of the detail and soundstage I liked with the HD800. I therefore focused most of the session on the Utopia and Abyss. I went back to the LCD4 from time-to-time just to check, but it confirmed these impressions each time. They were also distinctly less comfortable than the other two.

So I went back and forth for hours with the Abyss and Utopia. Both had excellent bass - the Abyss was better, but not the deciding factor for me. Both much better than the HD800, but without exaggeration or bloat. On fast, complex tracks the Abyss was better. It had superior speed, resolution and separation. From the start I felt there was better presence with the Abyss. When I listened on the Utopia, I felt like I was listening to excellent recordings. When I switched to the Abyss, I felt like I was there. This happened over and over again, with many tracks. Almost an emotinal reaction in many cases.

So I ended up getting the Abyss. I have been really enjoying them, it feels like I a rediscovering all my music or hearing it for the first time.

So now I am looking at amps ..

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #29 of 41
I have enjoyed the HD800 for many years now, but decided it was time to try something new. Since I wanted to make a big step I was looking at TOTL headphones and narrowed it down to exactly these three. I had listened to STAX but they didn’t do it for me, just seemed to be a variation of the HD800 - I really enjoy the detail from these types of headphones, but their presentation is rather clinical. And frankly I was getting tired of rationalizing their recessed bass. So I wanted to see if I could find something that was more “fun” while retaining the qualities of the HD800, and better bass without exaggeration or bloat.

I screened them using a Questyle golden Stack. I compared to my current HD800/HDVD800 (they had the HD800 in the store, and I brought in my own amp). I basically occupied the store for an afternoon, going back and forth on a series of tracks I know well.

Firstly all where pretty amazing.They were a step up from the HD800, moving in the direction I wanted. My comments below are comparative, on an objective basis all are great cans!

I fairly rapidly eliminated the LCD4. A little too dark, bass was a little flabby compared to the Utopia or Abyss. It also gave up too much of the detail and soundstage I liked with the HD800. I therefore focused most of the session on the Utopia and Abyss. I went back to the LCD4 from time-to-time just to check, but it confirmed these impressions each time. They were also distinctly less comfortable than the other two.

So I went back and forth for hours with the Abyss and Utopia. Both had excellent bass - the Abyss was better, but not the deciding factor for me. Both much better than the HD800, but without exaggeration or bloat. On fast, complex tracks the Abyss was better. It had superior speed, resolution and separation. From the start I felt there was better presence with the Abyss. When I listened on the Utopia, I felt like I was listening to excellent recordings. When I switched to the Abyss, I felt like I was there. This happened over and over again, with many tracks. Almost an emotinal reaction in many cases.

So I ended up getting the Abyss. I have been really enjoying them, it feels like I a rediscovering all my music or hearing it for the first time.

So now I am looking at amps ..

To clarify on the SR-007 and SR-009 having recessed bass, it is the sub-bass that is a little bit shelved down (more so on the SR-007), while SR-009's mid bass is perfectly flat and the SR-007 has a mid bass hump, the opposite of recession.

I don't think anyone can use an SR-007 (even with a subpar amp) and call its bass recessed, it's a thicker sounding headphone with a notably bassy presence (and better quality bass than any non electrostat even without the bass port mod). The SR-009 I can understand with a subpar DAC and/or amp, but on an excellent system it has a very flat overall bass response just with slightly shelved down sub bass, far more bass slam than most headphones including all HiFiMan planar magnetic headphones for reference, and by far the best quality bass of any headphone not counting the SR-009S. It makes the LCD-4's bass sound one note as if it lacks any and all depth and detail.

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #30 of 41
Hello Gentleman, I started to compare the headphones as our summer in Germany is slowly passing and temerature is below 20 degress Celcius.

The Ultrasone Edition 5 limited is for the analytic guys. Maybe for Studio purpose but no longer my style. It will be sold.
The Utopia is great...but! I have the feeling that any kind of music / CD sounds wonderful although it isnt. My!! feeling is that the Utopia does not tell me the truth. It will be sold.

Leaving the Abyss 1266 (the old one) and the Audeze LCD 4. Not sure now which one will stay. Currently my favorite is the Abyss, but sometimes I feel as if voices are more natural through the Audeze.

I will need some more listing seasions.

Sorry for my simple explanations. I cant do review like other guys do here in the forum. But as I started this thread I thought I should let you know my thoughts about these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back