Absolutely need more meshuggah sounding tech-death
Mar 21, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #16 of 28
Do you know the difference between tech death and progressive metal? Of the bands you have listed only Coprofago, Into the Moat, Scarve and Blotted Science counts as tech death. Meshuggah is 100% progressive metal. Odd time signature = progressive metal. They can be harder to play than some of the tech metal stuff, but it still doesn't count as tech metal. There's nothing technical about Meshuggah's music.

I think what you are looking for is not tech death, but progressive metal with lots of odd time signature. I can recommend Mastodon and SYL for you. And maybe Isis. If you want to know what counts as tech death, go check out Gorod and Anata.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 28
Portal
L3000.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the speed/tech death side of things, if you don't mind Origin, then I suggest Necrophagist. I actually prefer Necrophagist, because there's some melody to their awesome technical work, but if you're specifically looking for the Meshuggah style, then that might be a drawback.

yeah nocrophagist are awesome, epitaph is just amazing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, you've already heard of Into the Well. I guess the only real recommendation I have for you is Converge, though if you haven't heard them yet I'll be shocked.

i love converge, jane doe is one of my all time favorites

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, the first bands that come to mind when somebody mentions Meshuggah are Coprofago, Textures, TesseracT, and The Ocean. You've listed all of those, though... and knowing your history here I'm not really sure I could recommend anything that you haven't heard. Maybe some of these though -

Neglected Fields
Pavor
Amoral
Trepalium
Illogicist
Wetwork
Linear Sphere
Lethargy
Neuraxis
Augury
Negativa (Obscura-lite, if you like Gorguts)
Psyopus
Psycroptic
Behold... the Arctopus
Gorod
Candiria

i have most of those, but Trepallium was new to me, really blew my mind though! also negativia is great too! thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know the difference between tech death and progressive metal? Of the bands you have listed only Coprofago, Into the Moat, Scarve and Blotted Science counts as tech death. Meshuggah is 100% progressive metal. Odd time signature = progressive metal. They can be harder to play than some of the tech metal stuff, but it still doesn't count as tech metal. There's nothing technical about Meshuggah's music.

I think what you are looking for is not tech death, but progressive metal with lots of odd time signature. I can recommend Mastodon and SYL for you. And maybe Isis. If you want to know what counts as tech death, go check out Gorod and Anata.

Actually, Meshuggah is "Technical Post-Thrash"
I have everything by Mastodon, SYL and Isis, not sure how they can be compared to Meshuggah though...
I have the good albums by Gorod and Anata too. Actually listening to 'the conductors departure' as i type this.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #19 of 28
Right, so over the past week, i've been checking out a few bands that have been compared to Meshuggah. So i present a list for those who may be interested.

Byzantine; Post-Thrash/Groove Metal. ok, but not exceptional, not doing anything that interesting, no polyryhthm and vocals can be a bit dodgy at times.

Fell Silent; Post-Thrash/ Technical Hardcore. better, a lot of Meshuggah riffs, fake polyrhythm and a lot more influence from modern hardcore. undecided on if i like this yet.

Hybrid; Technical Death Metal/Grindcore. Amazing. like Meshuggah meets Origin meets Cephalic Carnage.

Mistaken Element. Thrash/ Technical Hardcore. Not technically amazing nor innovative, but catchy. does what it says on the tin.

Scamp; Groove / Thrash Metal. Quite catchy, not that impressive or as good as Mistaken Element. like a better static-x

Scarve; Industrial Death/Thrash Metal. Unsure on this one, think is good most of the time, then change my mind. need more time. probably good.

Tangaroa; Technical Grind. Amazing. Does what it says on the tin then groves some extra. Brilliant.

ill update if i find more. This list is not meant to be concise, nor are my descriptions set in stone or probably even accurate. Genres are meant as a guide to the sound of the music and also probably not accurate.

have a nice day!

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #20 of 28
see below, bad post

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys.
First of all, i am starting a new thread because i think this genre is pretty specific, and i don't think that i could get as specialized recommendations in any other existing thread.

to cut to the chase, i need more bands that sound like Meshuggah.
it isn't as easy as i might have thought to find some decent techy bands that aren't a generic, crappy rip-off of the great Meshuggah. i've gone through last-fm and wikipedia, and a lot of the bands that i listened to just dont cut it.

so here is a list of bands i would call meshuggahish, and good (i'm not looking for a exact clone of meshuggah, i just really dig the riff style.)

Coprofago
Textures (the first two albums only)
Frederic thorendals special defects..... (well duh.)
Mistaken Element
Gojira
Fell Silent (still not decided if i like this, not sure on the vocals)
The Ocean (i like the techy hardcore style, open to bands in this style too)
Into The Moat (deviating a bit from the style, but i really like this)
Ion Dissonance
Scarve (still undecided on this too. only heard once, too early to tell)

I didn't like;

Tesseract
Blotted Science
Between the Buried and Me
Cilice

as a side note, if the bands deviate a bit to go a bit Origin/Gorguts or EdGein like, then thats cool. oh and if there is anything like Mats/Morgan then please let me know too.

Thanks in advance.

Trying to find something that sounds like or, is as good as Meshuggah is an exercise in futility.
They are simply too good.

Im surprised nobody recommended "A Life Once Lost". A bit of a rip-off and like every other metal band (for me), they will not provide the same reward as Meshuggah, but worth a listen nonetheless.

Ironically, Meshuggah has pushed me to explore more Rush.
IMO, Meshuggah is the metal version of Rush; some striking similarities between these two groups.
For example, take a listen to the opening riff in "YYZ" off of "Moving Pictures" and see if you can match it to its big brother in "I".

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Theres nothing technical about Meshuggah's music"

That ridiculous statement unfortunately destroyed your credibility, nullifying your other suggestions.

Mastodon and Isis are no doubt great bands, but are not remotely like Meshuggah.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 28
Fear Factory, yeah I'm not that into hardcore metal. Got a concert buddy who loves them, has all their albums, in concert, Fear Factory is impressive. Their drummer, like machine gun kick bass drumming, really fast. Fun concert.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 28
i am also a metal fan myself..although rather new to this.
it's the first time hear the term "tech-death" (it's amazing how many sub genres there are). anyway..tech death sound really good to me so i think i will try to listen to some of the bands mentioned here, starting with meshuggah.
by the way.."meshuggah"= crazy in hebrew.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

I can look up things on Metal Archives too.
wink.gif

FWIW, I agree with scytheavatar. Not sure why they are called technical. In fact, the word "technical" called and wants its definition back.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

wink.gif

FWWI, I agree with scytheavatar. Not sure why they are called technical. In fact, the word "technical" called and wants its definition back.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not to mention this dude is a total ******.

21_photo.jpg

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

FWWI, I agree with scytheavatar. Not sure why they are called technical. In fact, the word "technical" called and wants its definition back.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not to mention this dude is a total ******.

21_photo.jpg

tee hee
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by split_brain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meshuggah sucks.

yeah i know, they're really terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back