Absolutely need more meshuggah sounding tech-death
Mar 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
hi guys.
First of all, i am starting a new thread because i think this genre is pretty specific, and i don't think that i could get as specialized recommendations in any other existing thread.

to cut to the chase, i need more bands that sound like Meshuggah.
it isn't as easy as i might have thought to find some decent techy bands that aren't a generic, crappy rip-off of the great Meshuggah. i've gone through last-fm and wikipedia, and a lot of the bands that i listened to just dont cut it.

so here is a list of bands i would call meshuggahish, and good (i'm not looking for a exact clone of meshuggah, i just really dig the riff style.)

Coprofago
Textures (the first two albums only)
Frederic thorendals special defects..... (well duh.)
Mistaken Element
Gojira
Fell Silent (still not decided if i like this, not sure on the vocals)
The Ocean (i like the techy hardcore style, open to bands in this style too)
Into The Moat (deviating a bit from the style, but i really like this)
Ion Dissonance
Scarve (still undecided on this too. only heard once, too early to tell)

I didn't like;

Tesseract
Blotted Science
Between the Buried and Me
Cilice

as a side note, if the bands deviate a bit to go a bit Origin/Gorguts or EdGein like, then thats cool. oh and if there is anything like Mats/Morgan then please let me know too.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 28
Metal hasn't been my staple music for a decade now, but how about Fear Factory? Especially their earlier albums, Soul Of A New Machine and Demanufacture.

YouTube - Fear Factory - Zero Signal

Another one I remember, Misery Loves Co. The first two albums, Misery Love Co. and Not Like Them are the better ones.

YouTube - Misery Loves Co. - My Mind Still Speaks

And of course, not forgetting Godflesh. Their tempo may be a bit slow in comparison but they're a perfect example of music not necessarily having to be fast to be heavy. Still one of the few bands I listen to from my metal/industrial phase and one of my all-time favorites.

YouTube - Godflesh - Messiah
YouTube - Godflesh- Crush My Soul
YouTube - Godflesh - Like Rats

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metal hasn't been my staple music for a decade now, but how about Fear Factory? Especially their earlier albums, Soul Of A New Machine and Demanufacture.

And of course, not forgetting Godflesh. Their tempo may be a bit slow in comparison but they're a perfect example of music not necessarily having to be fast to be heavy. Still one of the few bands I listen to from my metal/industrial phase and one of my all-time favorites.

hiya DTKZ, thanks for taking the time to reply.
yeah i have pretty much all the ff albums from back in the day, i used to be a massive fan, still really like Edgecrusher. However its not really my kind of thing these days. godflesh was a favorite too.
what i'm looking for is something a bit more techy though. even polyrhythmic, with hardcore influences. its really hard to describe i guess.
i like the repeditive, choppy riffs that you get with bands like meshuggah, textures and coprofago, and am trying to find more bands that follow suite.
i suppose meshuggah are a pretty hard act to follow...

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to check out The Dillinger Escape Plan. They borrow much influence from Meshuggah's polyrythm/scream vocals style.

hiya mrdeadfolx.
yeah i know dillinger very well too. hmmm, this is proving difficult.
iv'e been a metalhead for about 15 years, and most of the better known bands i have heard and probably know well. what i am looking for is a band that is somewhat under the radar, bands like Mistaken Element and Scarve that i only discovered recently and have that somewhat minimalist techy repeditive riff style.
thanks for the rec though, Dillinger are awesome.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 28
Most tech death I tend to hear is about fast complex riffs, rather than Meshuggah's polyrhythm chugging. I haven't really come across anyone else who does what they do, so can't really help with that. Also, personally, I consider their style/sound more industrial than death.

From the speed/tech death side of things, if you don't mind Origin, then I suggest Necrophagist. I actually prefer Necrophagist, because there's some melody to their awesome technical work, but if you're specifically looking for the Meshuggah style, then that might be a drawback.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 28
Damn, you've already heard of Into the Well. I guess the only real recommendation I have for you is Converge, though if you haven't heard them yet I'll be shocked.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most tech death I tend to hear is about fast complex riffs, rather than Meshuggah's polyrhythm chugging. I haven't really come across anyone else who does what they do, so can't really help with that. Also, personally, I consider their style/sound more industrial than death.

From the speed/tech death side of things, if you don't mind Origin, then I suggest Necrophagist. I actually prefer Necrophagist, because there's some melody to their awesome technical work, but if you're specifically looking for the Meshuggah style, then that might be a drawback.

Necrophagist is definitely excellent and underrated but like PW said, maybe not exactly what you're after.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys.
First of all, i am starting a new thread because...

Honestly, the first bands that come to mind when somebody mentions Meshuggah are Coprofago, Textures, TesseracT, and The Ocean. You've listed all of those, though... and knowing your history here I'm not really sure I could recommend anything that you haven't heard. Maybe some of these though -

Neglected Fields
Pavor
Amoral
Trepalium
Illogicist
Wetwork
Linear Sphere
Lethargy
Neuraxis
Augury
Negativa (Obscura-lite, if you like Gorguts)
Psyopus
Psycroptic
Behold... the Arctopus
Gorod
Candiria

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 28
Later Porcupine Tree the albums: In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet

Granted, PT isn't tech-metal, more like progressive pop rock with the occasional metal influence. Earlier PT is more psychedelic and or poppy. PT cites Messhugah as an influence in the Deadwing liner notes. Most PT is heavily riff based anyways. You'd like the song "Shallow" off Deadwing, and "Open Car"

I'm probably not gonna be much help. Opeth is the only true modern metal band I listen to. Also check out Kevin Moore project band OSI and listen to the first album, Office of Strategic Influence.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 28
Frederick Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within

Yes, that's the very same Frederick Thgordendal from Meshuggah. The above is a fairly obscure side-project of his that takes the Meshuggah sound and takes it to another level, both in speed, complexity and simply brain-bending insanity. A few of the other Meshuggah boys make a guest appearance or two.

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 28
Okay, not quite as electronic as Meshugga, but you should give them a shot anyway:

Laethora - March of the Parasite
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder - Living For Death, Destroying the Rest

All are more on the Gorguts/Edgein side of things.

beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 28
What are you people talking about lol

Check out:

Devolved
Egoist (Dead Egg album, the new one is pretty rubbish)
Periphery/Bulb (amazing solo project, no official release, just mp3s on the interwebz)
Animals As Leaders (also no official release, but an album floating around on the web)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back